Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I guess it's like The Office. Some people simply adore the UK version but not the American. Some have said they were surprisingly happy with the US version. Depends on how attached you are to the original I guess. I can never imagine a show like MASH being made anywhere else but the US for example.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I always laughed at the pink washing up gloves with the pink boa around the wrist. That would drive me mad but it was amusing to see.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
PaperGirl
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
I always laughed at the pink washing up gloves with the pink boa around the wrist. That would drive me mad but it was amusing to see.

Oh I howl with laughter when they hand those gloves over to a big burly guy to scrub a potty.

I cant help but cringe at some of the looks they give when they sniff mattresses.

PaperGirl there too!

PaperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:02 AM   #14
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Yes LOL But I wouldn't want to sniff a mattress from some of those houses! Then again, I recall Carlton (sp?) from Queer Eye sniffing a few dirty pairs of jocks found stuffed under a bed or under rubbish on the floor and rolling his eyes
Old 08-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
figaro
Working the Gusset

Never heard of sugar soap, the only stuff that I heard of to wash walls is a powder called TSP. I just googled sugar soap and it said that it is used mainly in the Commonwealth countries and a comparable product here in the US is TSP.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #16
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi Debbie

TSP does seem to be similar to sugar soap. Range of TSP here:

http://www.savogran.com/Retail_Produ..._products.html

I use sugar soap for washing down and preparing paintwork before decorating. It's very good at cutting through grease but don't go mad with it on gloss paint, as it can damage the surface.

I've been trying to remember the brand names of soap powders over there, there's no actual biological brand name but manufacturers make products such as Persil Bio and Persil Non-Bio.

If you look down the cheaper end of the soap powders in the supermarket, you might find them there. Do you have Surf or DAZ? The blue coloured soap powders could well be biological. Should say something on the box.

As Susan said, they're for breaking down protein stains, such as egg, blood, etc.

Glad you like the programme, anyway.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #17
Limey
Turning the Heel

And yes, eating dinner and looking down at some of the lavs they had to tackle..glory be! One place they opened the fridge and there were cockroaches running around inside it!
Susan - I'm outta here

Too late!
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

LOL OH dear...well..after doing some research for a show I'm freelancing for I decided I will never eat peanut butter again...you know the saying.." a little information is.."
Old 08-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #19
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

LOL OH dear...well..after doing some research for a show I'm freelancing for I decided I will never eat peanut butter again...you know the saying.." a little information is.."
Spill it!! What's up with the peanut butter?
A year or so ago we had a huge recall here of peanut butter due to some crud that was found in it. I'm not a big peanut butter fan anyway but I really am a little leery after that. Do tell.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #20
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Heh.. Limey look away now. Ok, I knew that in India say they allow..true..a certain percentage of say rat droppings in flour. I know.. In some western world countries 30 insect parts and one rat hair is allowable per 100 grams of peanut butter. In the US in an 18 ounce jar of peanut butter you can have as many as five rodent hairs and 150 insect fragments. And this isn't the only food where you find such things!

Now here is the source from your FDA but I would warn anyone with a weak tummy and who doesn't accept that this is really just the way it is with mass production and so on not to look. Peanut butter because of its paste like presence was just something I could not look at again. You would literally need to buy fresh peanuts..wash and wash them, dry them and then use a special machine to make butter from if you wanted to avoid the issue. But then you would have to look at the salt and then any oils you added. I've had PB (years ago) just from peanuts but in the machine. Once you get used to the lack of salt taste its not bad:

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html