Old 08-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
booskibabe
Knitting the Flap

2 Tone Shrug Woes
I want to make the 2 tone shrug from Fitted KNits for my little sister for Christmas. The trouble is I have 2 skeins of Caron Shadows - 300 yds - and the shrug requires 440 yds. (2 skeins of cascade 220) If I knit it with a slightly larger gauge (18 sts/4" instead of 20 sts/4") do you think I could get away with the yarn I have or should I get another ball to be safe? Thanks!

Oh and I think I will need to make the next smallest size - somehow I have to measure her back width without her noticing.

Gauge - challenged knitter
Knitting is my therapy

Last edited by booskibabe : 08-27-2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: my bad spelling
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Just my 2cents, but the shurgs I have made take every bit of the yarn they say they will so I would grab another ball while it is still in stock. No sure 2 stitches an inch will make up for 140yrds....

As for the length, tip to tip the length of your arms is your height and I usually figure the back width is 1/4th of that total length...if you know your sisters height you should be able to make the shrug without trying to measure her. Best of Luck.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
booskibabe (08-27-2007)
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
booskibabe
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
Just my 2cents, but the shurgs I have made take every bit of the yarn they say they will so I would grab another ball while it is still in stock. No sure 2 stitches an inch will make up for 140yrds....
I took another look at the pattern and the amount of yarn needed increases by one ball at the next-largest size. I'll be making one of the smaller sizes, so I think I may be able to sqeak by.

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
As for the length, tip to tip the length of your arms is your height and I usually figure the back width is 1/4th of that total length...if you know your sisters height you should be able to make the shrug without trying to measure her. Best of Luck.
I didn't know that factoid! I am filing that info away. Thanks!

Gauge - challenged knitter
Knitting is my therapy
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote