Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
figaro
Working the Gusset

Clean but smelly laundry?
I have a problem and other than buying a new washing machine, I have no idea how to fix it. I wash and dry our clothes, line dry the shirts and then when I put them away, they still smell like old moldy clothes! I am bleaching the washing machine about once a week and the smell is still there in the clothes. It is disgusting to get out of a clean shower, put a towel up to my face and then smell that! I have been known to forget to get the clothes out of the washer right when they are done (the washer/dryer is in the basement and there is no beep when the washer is done) but I do try to get them out as soon as possible. The smell is now getting into the shirts but no the pants?

Anyone have any suggestions?

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
It sounds like maybe your clothing/towels either are being left too long in the washer before drying or your dryer isn't drying them properly. (I've had both happen) Make sure the vent for the dryer is not blocked by lint...not just the trap IN the dryer, but the vent that goes outside. It can become clogged and will affect how clothes dry. Plus I think it can be come a fire hazard so do check it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
figaro
Working the Gusset

The smell started when we were in our old house and the dryer was cleaned throughly when we left there. Is there anyway to get the smell out, maybe washing with vinegar?

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
My washer is in the basement as well...when it gets hot and muggy I have to set the oven timer to go off... you can't let them sit no time or this happens...I know you said you line dry your shirts and you may want to try using the dryer...esp. if it is hot and muggy where you are at...I have trouble getting anything to dry right now even a purse I felted...even our stair case feels sticky, it's just icky here...this weekend we will see better temps and weather I can't wait

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
you could try vinegar... maybe even run it through your washer empty... I run it with my dishwasher to clean it...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
figaro
Working the Gusset

The basement is always about 20 degrees cooler then the upstairs but I never thought of a timer. I started line drying the shirts (which are in the basement also) because no matter what temperature I dry my shirts, they would always shrink up.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
The smell started when we were in our old house and the dryer was cleaned throughly when we left there. Is there anyway to get the smell out, maybe washing with vinegar?
I was referring to the vent that attaches to the back of the dryer which should be checked, but if you are having problems in the new house as well as the old it's probably something else. Make sure the clothing gets rinsed well, especially towels. I double rinse them.

I love Febreze and just saw this..maybe this would work, too.
http://www.febreze.com/en_US/febreze..._eliminator.do

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
marykz
Working the Gusset

do you have mildew in the basement? the smell could be coming in when they are hanging to dry in the basement, if the basement is damp. if you dry them outside, do you get the same smell?

could it be that the water line coming in to the washer might have mildew? if you let the washer fill with water (no soap, no clothes) does it smell moldy?

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
figaro
Working the Gusset

I just put a big load of the towels in the washing machine with soap and 1/2 cup bleach. I just talked to my mom and she had the same problem with her towels only she waits by the washing machine to take them out right away and hers also stinks. She thinks its because after they would use them, they hang them on a door or something to air dry and then they would use them again. (They live on the side of a mountain and do not have a washer/dryer there so they try to get as much usage as possible) She said the bleach should just make the towels fade a little, no streaking. I filled up the machine, then added the bleach and detergent then added the towels.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I always use my towels for at least a week (sometimes longer) and I hang them on the door to dry in the mean time. I've never had them come out of the laundry smelling funky, so I don't think that's it.

I actually thought everyone used towels for a week until I went away to college and the girl next door to me used a different towel every day.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote