Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
figaro
Working the Gusset

I dunno at this point what the reason might be, I just want the smell gone! I think what I am going to try and do is buy a cheap bell and hang it on the machine so it makes a sound while the machine is moving, I thought about the timer but I would need to time each load cause towels don't wash as long as pants, ect.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Like everyone else, I have noticed that during the hot weather if I let the laundry sit in the washer for even an hour it gets stinky!!

You might also want to try one of the fresch scent softeners.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
When I do towels I ALWAYS put them through and extra rinse cycle, too. The amount of detergent they hang onto is amazing! Halfway through the drying cycle clean the lint trap so you get maximum drying, too. If you try the Febreze along with all these suggestions it should take care of it..if not then I'm stumped.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
traceleighj
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to traceleighj
I had read that if you use dryer sheets they can create a film on your lint trap too. I periodically take out the trap and scrub it with a brush and hot soapy water. It's amazing the difference.

My washer lately has had a mildewy smell so I run it on empty with hot water and a lot of bleach, it seemed to help.

Good luck!
Sheldon Cooper: It's very simple. Scissors cuts paper. Paper covers rock. Rock crushes lizard. Lizard poisons Spock. Spock smashes scissors. Scissors decapitates lizard. Lizard eats paper. Paper disproves Spock. Spock vaporizes rock. And as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
I'm traceleighj on Ravelry.
traceleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I have the same problem too. My washer/dryer are not in the basement... we have a brand new dryer. I use the 2nd rinse function for everything and add fabric softener in the dryer. Everything still stinks. I thought it might be the soap we use. I have to use the clear kind because oldest DD is allergic to the dyes, but thought the softener would at least make them smell better. No such luck. Kind of missing DH's oily/concretey clothes to throw in.... they even smell better than this!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Our laundry still smells funky after washing. Not moldy but not clean either, more like sweat. I'm going to try the rinse twice option and see if that helps. I use the no dye, no scent clear liquid detergent and I'm wondering if it isn't cleaning. I've tried adding OxyClean and that doesn't help either.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #17
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
My mom is allergic to scented products (thanks to me she was fine before she got pregnant with me) so we've always used the hypo-allergenic detergents. Usually Purex. My clothes never smelled of anything after washing (unless they'd been left wet in the washer a few days.) I've switched to scented detergent, because I'm not allergic and I like having the mild scent because psychologically it feels cleaner.

But the point is that the dyes and scents aren't going to make a difference in the actual performance of the detergent. The scent is cosmetic.

ETA: I'm so helpful, aren't I? "No, that's not the reason!" but not offering any suggestions of my own.

I hope you figure it out soon!

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #18
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

White vinegar in the final rinse and remove from the washer immediately and dry as quickly as posssible with either a hot dryer or line dry outside in the sun.

The odor is mildew and in muggy weather will grow almost instantly, it seems. I have the same problem here in the desert during the monsoon season.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #19
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Oh man! I'm so glad someone posted this question!! I've been having the same problem with our towels too!! I always dry them in the dryer, never outside as they become stiffer than a board! I'll use a fresh clean towel in the morning after my shower and then I smell it makes me want to puke!

I use regular soap and fabric softener, but it never fails, they smell terrible. Other than buying new towels (they're about a year old) I don't know what to do. I never leave my loads to sit in the wash when they're done cause I do the wash only once a week and all at the same time.

Nope, no kids

We do have a front-loading machine. So I can't open it up during the cycle to add the vinegar. hmmmm, what to do.....
Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
figaro
Working the Gusset

Well, they have been through the wash and dry cycle once, I was there when it stopped spinning, through the load into the dryer and left for the girls gym class. Unfortunately the one dryer load did not dry it and I can still smell it a little tiny bit but it is enough for me. One more time should do it, and it did not do anything to the colors of the towels either!

It makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one this happens to, I feel bad for you all cause I know what it feels like to dry yourself with a stinky towel!

And I am going to try to find the Frebreze and keep it on hand. That and a gallon or 2 of vinegar too!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote