Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

Doctor Rant - Update Page 3
I'm taking deep breaths to calm down, really I am.

I have migraines, not the vomiting-out-of-commision migraines but just regular pounders-but-I-can-still-try-to-function migraines. I've been taking pills for these forever now (ex. Imitrex, maxalt, etc) and my newest doctor decided that a daily preventive medicine would work better. So I tried it and went back after 3 months, nothing better so he increased the dosage. Another appt after 3 months and still nothing better so he ups the dosage. Next appt is still no better so he does the same. This time after 2 days of taking the medicine I feel exhausted and like it's a huge effort to do anything.

I call the doctor's office and get a nurse. She takes all of my information (including my lower than normal blood pressure of 90/72) and says she'll talk to the doctor and call me back. She finally calls after a couple hours (that's ok - I know they're busy) and says just go back to the dosage I was taking before. BUT that didn't work before so why would I go back to that? She doesn't know so she'll go talk to the doctor again and call me back. Which she doesn't.

I call the next day and finally get to someone. Now she says the doctor wants me to take the new dosage (that's making me extremely tired) AND start taking a relaxer at night to help with sleeping. BUT I DON'T HAVE A SLEEPING PROBLEM. She can't explain to me why the doctor wants me to take this new drug. What's the deal?

I'm just going drug free. I'd rather deal with the migraines then just keep popping all of these pills.

Blog & Pictures: http://motherhenknits.blogspot.com/

Last edited by suziehomemaker : 09-27-2007 at 12:09 PM.
suziehomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
marykz
Working the Gusset

oh- I hear you!!!

is the doctor you are seeing a neurologist? if not, it may be worth seeing one. often they are better at treating migraines than a general practicioner. I had very bad migraines for several years. we tried lots of things (imitrex, maxalt); tried daily preventatives. tried rescue medications; had cat scans, MRI's etc. tried tracking a food diet; tried on /off the pill.... what has worked for me is staying on a low dose pill all the time. but everyone is so different.

if this doctor and his staff are not listening to you - you need a new doctor. you deserve to be pain-free or at least able to function.

I still have a current prescription for rescue therapy (I think it is imitrex now) but balancing out my hormones has been the life saver. I had a neurologist who really listened and didn't get frustrated with me when his ideas didn't work.

this daily preventative thing is fairly new in the overall treatment of migraines, and it doesn't work for everyone. some docs read the latest headlines, toss you the prescptions, and move on. you deserve better.

it isn't wise just to stop taking any medication suddenly against Dr orders... sometimes the body needs to get used to lower and lower doses before it is removed completely. Especially if you are using a beta blocker which can affect your blood pressure. (my sister in law has great success with one of the beta blockers as a preventative med)

Do try to get seen soon, and bring your list of questions/ frustrations. doctors are reluctant to treat over the phone due to legal liabilities, and they want their co-pay.

but also start looking for a better doctor.....

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
newdoctornewdoctornewdoctornewdoctor...I really can't repeat that enough.

I have migraines, too. The aura seeing, throw-up, lie in total darkness, don't even whisper to me kind. I would recommend that you see a neurologist. You should get a referral from your new GP.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

Update -I just got off the phone with the pharmacy to cancel the relaxer-type pill. I asked her what it's used for and she said it's an anti-depressant that has side effects of being a sleep aid. I know that depression is a serious issue but I am no where near being depressed. My husband just about flipped out when I told him about it. He travels for work alot and we have a 16 month old so I can't afford to take a sleep aid.

The one that I'm taking now is a beta-blocker called Propranolol (generic for Inderal) and then I take Maxalt when I do get migraines. All I asked the nurse for yesterday was if my symptoms of being exhausted were normal and if they would just go away once my body gets used to the new dosage. Still no answer on that one - they just wanted to give me a relaxant.

I have gotten a MRI and all of that jazz and it came back normal. I was told my migraines aren't severe enough to see a neurologist. Which is pretty true because I can still function mostly when I get them. This is a team practice so the first doctor I saw recommended Topomax and when I expressed concern about seizures as a side effect he thought I should try a natural way with a chiropractor. Nice back rub but no luck with the migraines.

This next doctor (same practice) said that recommending Topomax for my migraines was like killing an ant with a sledgehammer so he recommended the Inderal on the gradual increase dosage until no more migraines.

I explained to them that I had absolutely no migraines when I was pregnant but they just said that hormones can do great things. I think I should just get pregnant again!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I have them too. So does my youngest DS. The "please somebody chop my head off" kind. I take OTC Excedrin migraine with 1 ex-strength tylenol. 30-40 minutes later.. it's gone.

ETA: Should add that they are "optic" migraines, so I do know when they'll hit. I can get a jump on it and take the meds.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

I feel your pain, really I do.

I used to take the Excedrin for Migraines and I loved it until it started making me jittery and stopped working. Now I have just about no caffeine in my diet to try to prevent these.

I'm much calmer now and I have an appointment in a month to discuss with my current doctor. I think I'm going to give this dosage a little longer to see if the exhaustion feeling goes away. If not, I'll ask to try the Topamax. Seizures isn't the only possible side effect, I was told that weight loss is very commone while taking this drug! Sign me up!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Yikes. Inderal is a beta blocker that is used for controlling blood pressure among other things. One of the side effects would be lower blood pressure and pulse. It can also make you feel mighty tired because its blocking the adrenaline like chemicals from working at certain sites in your body. I'm not sure its such a great idea to quit cold turkey though. I would do it gradually under the guidance of a doctor.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

My normal blood pressure is a little low to begin with so that's why I called yesterday when I was feeling so tired this past weekend. I'm just annoyed that I couldn't get a straight answer from the nurse or even just talk to the doctor directly.

So this medicine lowers my blood pressure and then they want me to take a sleep aid. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
marykz
Working the Gusset

um, maybe its b/c I have my own issues with doctors and my chronic illness, but shouldn't the neurologist decide (and not the GP/ gatekeeper) if he/she should treat you? Those who do not have migraines have no idea how life altering they can be. are you stuck in a plan where you *have* to get a referral in order to be seen and covered by your ins?

Jeremy and everyone else is right- beta blockers like inderal lower blook pressure. so if you were low to begin with I am not surprised at all you are feeling wiped out. it isn't a symptom to be taken lightly, and you shouldn't quit it cold turkey.

(and if you felt so much better pregnant- it might be worth trying different versions of the pill to see if you can replicate the experience. I tried every variety that was on the market (it was a tough year) and found one that absolutely makes life livable again. I take it continuously with no weekly break. and it was recommended by my neurologist, so it isn't some whacky treatment dreamed up by someone without credentials- he said hormones and more importantly hormone changes can be a terrible trigger.)

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

Yikes, Topomax can cause seizures as a side effect? How common is that? Can you share where you learned this information? My sister takes topomax for her epilepsy, and I was under the impression that topomax was a fairly common drug for seizures.

If I were you I'd go to a neurologist too. It wouldn't hurt to see if they could help with your migraines.
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote