Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Macs are definitely better for graphics, PCs for other types of applications, so it really depends on what you use a computer for most.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I run Windows because it's easier for my husband to navigate. Used a Mac a few times and like them but if I had the choice I'd be running a Linux box myself.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
kashadilla
1st Leg of the Journey

Its refreshing to see that I'm not the only loyal Mac-ist left!! It so user friendly and easy to use. I think the thing that turned me off to PCs so much is the fact that if something goes wrong, you get an error message that you cant understand unless you have a background in computers. I've gotten so many calls from grandparents and my mom in law about computer problems; MIL couldnt get outlook to work, I have computer networking education in my background, and I couldnt fix it either, and it gave us some gibberish error message. She was ready to throw out the computer, but I told her it was just the windows program that sucked, and I set her up with a gmail act, and shes happy as a clam now.
My ibook has microsoft office anyway...and thats the only thing about a windows that I would miss. Besides, you can get windows for mac.
does the fact that I'm not compatible with all software and downloads bother me? Never. If they're too ignorant to see that mac users could be a market for them, then they dont deserve to have their program on my beautiful Lappy. (thats what I call my laptop- ahh Strong Bad.)

Dont get me wrong, I use a pc all day at work; its great for the business part, but I dont think I'll ever have one as my personal computer ever.

kashadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
Orangeus
1st Leg of the Journey

Another 'too each their own' here. The few times I've had/tried to use my brothers Mac I just about started smashing my head into his desk it was so annoying in every possibly ways. And when he tries to use my computer he just gets angry that I've fiddled with all the settings and nothing is right there on the desktop (because *gasp* I'm using shortcut keys to open programs instead of icons).

Like someone else said...it all depends on what you want from a computer. Said mac-fanboy brother swore up and down that I should get one, and they're so much better blah blah blah, so I let him figure out how much it would cost to get a new Mac that was at LEAST as good as my several-year-old PC that he built for himself originally.... He stopped trying to coerce me into getting a Mac after that.

And laptops? Yeah, they suck no matter what OS they're using. They only way they don't suck is if you plug external mouse, keyboard, and monitor too if you've got a spare one, in. I am entirely positive that your hate for the laptop will diminish, even if just a little bit.

One thing I never understood is the whole 'oh something went wrong, better reboot' thing... I know so many people that can't load a webpage, so what do they do? Reboot. Program doesn't open straight away? Reboot in the middle of it loading. Computer making a 'weird noise' (aka, the fan going)? Reboot! Then they are always completely amazed when I tell them to clear their cookies, and like MAGIC that website loads, after four reboots not working! (yes, this has actually happened).
Orangeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
Julie
Instepping Out

I believe strongly that it just depends on what you're used to. I'm an IT person, and I support a PC network and we rarely have significant problems. And while I can't speak for the rest of my users, I rarely even experience little glitches. And I'm running big graphics apps concurrently all the time, like InDesign/Photoshop/GoLive.

I do have that techie-good-computer-aura going for me though

That said, macs completely confound me. I know they're supposed to be "easier to use" but any time I have to touch one it takes me soooo long to figure out how to do the simplest stuff. Again, I think it's what you're used to. I'd love to have a mac and get to know it, but honestly, they cost so freakin' much I can't imagine making the leap unless someone else was paying for it.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #16
JennyLeah
Ribbing the Cuff

Now, now. Let's not condemn PC's because of Windows. There are other OS options out there, including (but by no means limited to) Linux.

I'm not a die-hard PC or Mac user. On my own machine, I have a dual boot with Linux and Windoze, but my machine is in a storage unit in Florida, so I'm stuck with Windows on this computer (which is not mine) and it's pretty crappy. My girlfriend has a Mac, and while it's in pretty desperate need of memory, it's definitely a better system. I usurp it when she's not around.
JennyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 PM   #17
Phretys
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Phretys
I use both (Mac OSX laptop for work, a couple of PCs with WinXP and Vista at home). I'm pretty happy with both. The only issue I have with the PCs is that I have to run a spyware check every week thanks to my 12-year-old daughter and her love of online games - she also managed to nearly kill her grandfather's PC recently. She hasn't been able to do any damage on the Mac, however; I even let my 4- and 5-year-old nieces play on the Mac (usually just on nickjr.com or pbskids.com) without worries.

Debi
Phretys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #18
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
The only reason I've ever had a problem with my PC is beacuse when I went to college I decided to load it up with junk (like limewire) that just killed it. I wasn't careful with the things I was putting on my computer so it was my fault that the hard drive had to eventually be wiped out and everything had to be put back on. I haven't really had problems since, especially with my work computer that I can't put any new software on without premission.

I haven't used Macs a ton, but I have liked them when I did. My college had them for video editing, and my gym has them for members to use. I like them, but I don't think that I have a strong preference either way.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #19
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
heh, it's ironic that you mention that windows is a shoddy copy of mac's os, which in its own turn "borrowed" the idea from Xerox. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that windows is the right way to do things. The way I see it, is you want to do graphics, use either a SPARC or a mac, you want games, Windows is your best shot. For everything else out there, you've got Linux.

The downside to having windows is exacly what was mentioned, it's pretty much on every desktop out there. Though, don't mistake this, people write viruses for windows because it will affect a large percentage of the computers that have windows, on the other hand, viruses can be written for macs and for linux as well. Only reason it hasn't happened is primarily because those two OS's are not as popular as Gates' money maker.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.

Last edited by Rorshach : 08-30-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote