Old 09-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Foxyie
Knitting the Flap

can you dye Angora ?
I've seen a pink angora cardigan before so i can assume it's dyeable, but what do you use?

has anyone here ever dyed it?

how about blends of angora and wool?

i recently bought a white sweater from a thrift store that i will be unravelling and i would love to add some color to it!

thanks.
Foxyie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
IamtheWalter
Ribbing the Cuff

Everyone knows that pink angora comes from pink angora rabbits. Haven't you seen the remake of charlie and the chocolate factory?

Seriously though, angora is an animal fiber so it can be dyed with the same acid dyes used to dye wool. Different protein fibers, while they all can be dyed with acid dye, all take dye at different rates so with a wool angora blend yarn, one fiber might be a deeper shade than the other. Depending on how fibers in the yarn are blended, this could mean a heathered look or a spiral look.

I remember reading on the paula burch site that angora supposedly takes acid dye lighter than wool does.

Paula doesn't spin or knit but she is still incredibly knowledgeable about all types of dye, including acid dyes. Her web site is the first place I go when I have a dye related question.

I have yet to dye angora but I do have a few grams of angora fiber hanging around as leftover from a project, and I have tons of wool, so wait a day and I'll dye up a bit of wool and angora in the same bath and post the results.

Search results for "angora" on paula burch's site:
http://www.google.com/custom?domains...ORID%3A1&hl=en
IamtheWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
Foxyie
Knitting the Flap

i would love to have a pink angora rabbit

thanks alot for the info and the link!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
IamtheWalter
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay, here's the pics of the poofs: both 3 grams. The one on the left is wool (falkland wool, the whitest wool I had) the one on the right is angora. I dyed it with a packet of black cherry koolaid in the microwave, they were both in the same dyebath. Even though I let both fibers soak for two hours before dyeing, they still came out uneven, perhaps because I used a shallow dyebath.

The angora is a tad bit lighter but it did dye about the same shade that the wool did.

One thing that's not totally apparent in the pic, the wool poof dyed relatively uniformly but the angora poof is alot darker on the surface than on the inside which was pink in spots. Both fibers were in the exact same dyebath, so too much acid isn't the reason. Either the angora fiber takes dye so readily that it exhausted before it had a chance to dye the inside evenly, or the angora fiber, being denser than wool because of the lack of crimp, acted as it's own resist.

Well, there you go, angora dyes pretty darn nicely, if I do say so myself. And yes, I washed the angora poof in warm soapy water and the color did not run.

Last edited by IamtheWalter : 09-07-2007 at 05:47 AM.
IamtheWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamtheWalter For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (09-12-2007)
Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
dana_renay
Ribbing the Cuff

Quote:
One thing that's not totally apparent in the pic, the wool poof dyed relatively uniformly but the angora poof is alot darker on the surface than on the inside which was pink in spots. Both fibers were in the exact same dyebath, so too much acid isn't the reason. Either the angora fiber takes dye so readily that it exhausted before it had a chance to dye the inside evenly, or the angora fiber, being denser than wool because of the lack of crimp, acted as it's own resist
You're spot on - the unevenness in the angora was because the dye was exhausted before it got to the center of your angora "poof". More dye in the bath, or a different application method (i.e. applying the dye and then the acid instead of the acid and dye together) would have given you a more even result. I have also heard that using salt in your immersion dye bath will help give a more even result, but I have never tried that.

I do know that angora fiber, because of it's fineness, felts very, very easily in the dyepot. A novice dyer might consider spinning the fiber first, and then dyeing the finished yarn.
dana_renay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dana_renay For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (09-12-2007)
Old 09-08-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
Foxyie
Knitting the Flap

ooh i like that color. i don't remember my black cherry coming out that red.

thanks again!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 AM   #7
SharonLS
Casting On

Pre soak?
You might need to presoak the Angora. At least with washing a knitted Angora garment, it has to soak for a long time (a day I think) before the water is soaked in. If it takes that long to soak in, I would think it would need presoaking to assist dye penetration.
SharonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:44 AM   #8
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

The OP (back in 2007) said she soaked both for 2 hours before putting in the dye pot.

I would think plain fiber would dye (or soak) better than a knitted garment or even a yarn since there isn't any twist in the fiber yet.

There are other variables that weren't addressed in the initial postings like was any of the angora already felted, how compacted were each of the poofs?

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote