Old 09-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #21
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I have no aircon and only got car aircon in my last car. Now that I would hate to do without.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 AM   #22
zip

Originally Posted by auburnchick View Post
I have never lived in a house (or apartment) that did not have central air conditioning. I think I have been spoiled!
In the south, it's nearly impossible to live without a/c because of the humidity. Here in coastal SoCal, many homes don't have it because the dry atmosphere cools down the temp so much at night. At least, it usually does, but we're currently in the middle of a heat wave. We've been running the a/c for the past three days even though we both prefer not to do so.

I keep stepping outside to let the sun soak into my bones - feels almost like a Carolina summer.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:07 AM   #23
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post

We actually considered getting a/c a few years ago and because we have such a small yard the city said we couldn't put the a/c unit in the backyard or side yard...only out front.

I've seen these Mr. Slim a/c units advertised on TV and am going to have a serious look at them.

Jan, this is what everyone in Greece has, when they have air conditioning at all. They are great, and we installed one in our bedroom and the guest bedroom so at least we could sleep like normal people and not be miserable. But anyway! Are you aware, though, that there's a big outside part to this? They seem to downplay it on this website. The cute, remote-controlled inside part is only half of it. The outside part can be pretty big, but ours is very quiet. If you are near the outside unit you just hear rushing air. The inside unit hardly makes any noise at all.

The good part is, you don't have to put it right behind the place on the wall where the indoor unit is. If you look at the picture on the website, you can see there's no big outdoor unit right behind it, over the window. It's been placed somewhere else with longer tubes and cables.

Here's pictures of the indoor and outdoor unit for our guest bedroom. The outdoor unit is on the balcony outside the guest room and you can see how they ran a tube over to that side of the door. We had to put it in this weird place or else put it over a 2-story drop. Luckily I just use this balcony for drying clothes and a storage unit.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	indoor.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	43266  Click image for larger version

Name:	oudoor.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	43267  
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnnaT For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (09-02-2007)
Old 09-02-2007, 04:00 AM   #24
msmelody
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to msmelody
I would love to have some warm weather. I am from Houston, TX now living in Cornwall, England. Warmest it has been so far is around 80, but the rest of the time around 70 or so. Last week in church a lady passed out from the heat, it was 70 to 72. I lived the first 20 or so years of my life without A/C and now would not use it unless my children need it. Send the warm weather my way, and I would be grateful.

Joanne
msmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #25
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,776 Times in 7,143 Posts
Joanne, you are welcome to all the warm air you want! I don't dislike warm, but 101 is miserable..and humid just makes it worse. Blech.

Anna, I did see that they had a larger unit that went outside, but I'm glad to see your photo to see how large it really is. Normal size a/c units are 2 or 3 times that large which is why we couldn't get one before. I don't think the city would have a problem with this unit.

It's going to be another hot one today and the house barely cooled down last night...ugh. Another day of wetting the pets down and barely moving. No knitting either, I just can't when it's that hot.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #26
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Jan,

I hope it works out for you! I know how awful it is to not be able to move in the heat. Believe me, my mohair blend sweater isn't going to be finished for fall!!!

One trick I use is to wet my head down with cold water and then sit around like that.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #27
orcoastknitter
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Dilly View Post
It's 67 here! I had to take a hot shower to help me warm up!

It's about 72 here Dilly. It's a little warmer. Funny thing is when I am in town it's about in the 70s. But when I get home it's more like 80.
orcoastknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #28
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,776 Times in 7,143 Posts
It's 104 right now. I know it's hotter other places, but we are not used to this..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #29
jcmom
1st Leg of the Journey

I feel for ya. It's about 100 here too and we're up in No. Cal (Mother Lode). We have an evaporative cooler which works very well and it's not nearly as expensive to run as reg. A/C. It also puts some moisture into the air. One unit cools our whole house 1600 plus sq. ft.
Hang in there and stay
jcmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #30
evos524
Casting On

DH has been training out at Ft Irwin (CA) for the past 3 weeks. He's so ready to come home (to TX, if that tells you anything!) because of the heat. His guys are all complaining that it's worse than Iraq out there right now! LOL