Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Sweaters to unravel!
Hey everyone! Last night I was looking up shawl patterns and I saw this awesome garter stitch shawl that included about 20 different types of yarn. The pattern writer explained that she frequently buys hideous sweaters at flea markets, thrift stores, and yard sales just for the yarn, and she takes them home and unravels them. Well... that sounded fun and just plain cool! So I went out shopping today and decided to go to Good Will and see if they had any awesome sweaters!!! I got a purple one and a red one to unravel (maybe I'll make one of those charity red scarves) and I also found the most beautiful aran sweater in the world for only six dollars! It's way too huge on me but I fell in love with it and just couldn't leave it there. Don't think I can really wear it, but whatever. It's gorgeous. So here's the goods!

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i love recycling sweaters! i already pulled apart this pretty teal ribbon yarn sweater .. it's going to be a simple smock dress for dd.. i also have a ramie/cotton lovely green sweater to unravel.. so soft!... that too big sweater is nice, if it's wool, you could steek the sides and along the underside of the arms to re-size it....
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeanius80 For This Useful Post:
lissalue (09-01-2007), redheadrachel (09-01-2007)
Old 09-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
lissalue
Instepping Out

That is a good idea Jeanie! I never would have thought of doing that. I am so glad you mentioned that here.

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Ooooh, that's great! I was wondering if there was anything I could do to resize it and use it for myself, it's 100% wool!!! I it soooo much!

I am a bit confused on the two sweaters I bought to recycle though. I'm undoing the seams and thats all fine, but it seems like they were seamed and then the yarn was cut or something...??? Is that possible? That's pretty disappointing... but I love the aran!

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
More likely they were cut out of knitted fabric and seamed together. You gotta watch how the seams are put together.

I keep going to thrift stores to find sweaters to recycle but keep finding ones I want to wear!

I did score today though - got 7 skeins of KPs Shine worsted and a home dyed hank of KPs fingering yarn for $4. There's quite a lot of sugar and cream for 45 cents each I'm trying to talk myself out of going back for....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
jeanius80
Instepping Out

a good tip for future recycling efforts. always check the seams .. i usually just check the top shoulder seams and neckline. You want one that doesn't look felted or sewn too tightly, as the yarn will be hard to unravel, or possibly cut along the seams. you want nice looooong bits of yarn just like as if you were unraveling your own handknit. HTH
Old 09-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i am always checking my goodwill for yarn or recycling sweaters. i scored today and got 6 cones (1300 yards each!!) of pure new wool yarns! $12 for all

check out these sites!
a detailed how-to
a more image heavy how-to

hope those help!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
i usually just check the top shoulder seams and neckline.
I always check the side seams. Sometimes the neckline and shoulders are cut, but if the sweater's big enough, you can get enough out of the body.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #9
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Here is a site you might like
http://www.chicknits.com/ttdownsizing.shtml

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to momwolf For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (09-02-2007)
Old 09-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
they did a show on unravelling and making new items from sweaters you find at flea markets on Knitty Gritty last week....

I actually have a green sweater upstairs that a friend gave me (i loveit) but it's coming apart at the seams.. (yes, i wore it a LOT.. now it's miles too big for me).. i'm going to try unravelling that one (one of these days! LOL) and then decide what to make...