Old 09-02-2007, 03:38 AM   #1
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

for fantasy fans-need recommendations
Hi,

Is it just me, or has NOTHING good come out since Lynch's 'Red Seas Under Red Skies' came out in June? I just haven't been able to get excited about anything since then. I have been rereading the Dark Tower books but don't want to finish #7 again. Too depressing right now. And it seems like my "Recommended for You" list on Amazon hasn't changed all summer. I'm waiting for several books to be released, but all of these are set to be released in the fall or spring or else no one knows when it it will be.

Right now I am waiting on:

A Dance with Dragons (Martin, April 2008)
A Sword from Red Ice (Jones, no one knows)
Duma Key (King, Jan. 2008)
Confessor (Goodkind, Nov. 2007)
Grand History of the Realms (James, Sep. 18, 2007)
Wrath of a Mad God (Feist, March 2008)

On my to-read list:

Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein)
The Historian (Kostova)
Titus Alone (Peake)

This is a pretty short list, for me, and I am not extremely excited about any of these although I'm sure I will like Stranger.

I love to "discover" new-to-me authors, so if anyone could recommend something to me, I would really appreciate it.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

My husband's a big fantasy fan. He recently (within the last couple of years) started reading China Mieville's books (Perdido Street Station, etc). He really, really likes this author. He even thinks I would like him, even though I'm not really a fantasy fan.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vendie For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (09-02-2007)
Old 09-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
My friend has been trying to get me to read Name of the Wind for a while now. She loooves the book, so you might want to check it out.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiney For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (09-02-2007)
Old 09-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
karendawn
Ribbing the Cuff

Have you read Robin Hobb? She has a set of three trilogies that all go together (and are fantastic) and then another trilogy that is completely separate (and good, but not great).

Farseer
1. Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
2. Royal Assassin (1996)
3. Assassin's Quest (1997)

Liveship Traders
1. Ship of Magic (1998)
2. The Mad Ship (1999)
3. Ship of Destiny (2000)

Tawny Man
1. Fool's Errand (2001)
2. The Golden Fool (2002)
3. Fool's Fate (2003)

Soldier Son (the separate trilogy)
1. Shaman's Crossing (2005)
2. Forest Mage (2006)
3. Renegade's Magic (2007)

Take a look at http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/ - it's a great resource for finding books (and looking for new authors and/or finding out what some of your favorite authors will be publishing).

I also highly recommend Jim Butcher, both his Harry Dresden books and his fantasy series.

I also have one secret project that I can't post on my blog (gift for a friend who reads my blog):
Cables and Lace Baby Blanket for my best friend who is expecting a girl in December
karendawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karendawn For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (09-02-2007)
Old 09-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Yay for book recommendations!!!

Vendia, I've read both PSS and Iron Council. I bogged down on IC, though, and came back to it a couple of times. I'm waiting on Un Lun Dun to come out in paperback! Does your husband like Neil Gaiman? (I actually prefer Gaiman to Mieville.) Not that they are the same, but both write kind of weird, unclassifiable stuff.

Stiney, I think you hit the jackpot!!! I've missed this author, somehow! Sounds perfect! Amazon.co.uk says it will be coming out on September 20.

Karendawn, I've read the Farseer trilogy and loved it. I have been meaning to get the Tawny Man books. I wasn't sure about the Liveship books, but I've read that some people actually prefer them to the Fitz books. What do you think? And Jim Butcher has a LOT of books out. Which one should I read first?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
karendawn
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by AnnaT View Post
Karendawn, I've read the Farseer trilogy and loved it. I have been meaning to get the Tawny Man books. I wasn't sure about the Liveship books, but I've read that some people actually prefer them to the Fitz books. What do you think? And Jim Butcher has a LOT of books out. Which one should I read first?
The Liveship books take place in a different section of the world of the Farseer and Tawny Man books. Although I love Fitz and the Fool, I also really like the Liveship books (if not as much as Fitz). Plus, there is a, uh, major connection (trying not to give away any spoilers) in the Liveship books to the Farseer books that comes out even more in the Tawny Man books (hope that makes sense), so it's best to read the Liveship books before the Tawny Man ones.

As for Jim Butcher, although there are a lot of books, it's only two series - and both should DEFINITELY be read in order. So I'd say start with the first in either series (Dresden = urban fantasy; Codex Alera = more traditional fantasy)

Dresden Files
1. Storm Front
2. Fool Moon
3. Grave Peril
4. Summer Knight
5. Death Masks
6. Blood Rites
7. Dead Beat
8. Proven Guilty
9. White Night
10. Small Favor (forthcoming)

Codex Alera
1. Furies of Calderon
2. Academ's Fury
3. Cursor's Fury
4. Captain's Fury (forthcoming)

I also have one secret project that I can't post on my blog (gift for a friend who reads my blog):
Cables and Lace Baby Blanket for my best friend who is expecting a girl in December
The Following User Says Thank You to karendawn For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (09-05-2007)
Old 09-04-2007, 01:30 AM   #7
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

karendawn,

Thanks! I'll take your advice and read the Liveship books before Tawny Man. And I think I'll try out 'Furies of Calderon' first. It's even on sale at Amazon.co.uk! It sounds character-based, which I like.

Since the protagonist of 'Furies of Calderon' is 15, would this be appropriate to recommend to my 14-year-old niece? Her mom, my sister, is pretty particular. I just read Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy this summer, and I was going to recommend it to her because it seemed geared to a younger audience, but then overall I decided to wait a couple more years. So you can see that my sister is very picky with her if I'm scared to recommend that set of books. She loves Harry Potter, of course, and reads Dragonlance books. I've been trying to get her to read Salvatore's Drizzt books, but my sister is afraid of the covers.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
karendawn
Ribbing the Cuff

Although the protagonist is young, the books are not young adult. It's been a while since I've read the first book (and although I have the second, I haven't had a chance to read it yet), and I don't remember any specifically adult situations (no sex that I remember although there is some violence), but since I haven't read beyond the first book yet, I don't want to recommend it to a 14-year-old and then have the later books get more adult!

Since you're going to be reading the books yourself, I think I'd recommend waiting until you've read it and make the decision on your own. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Eloewien
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Eloewien
Anything by Mercedes Lackey - By the Sword is a good one to start with... or Fire Rose or Free Bards trilogy

Also- Anne Bishop

Daughter of the Blood
Heir to the Shadows
Queen of the Darkness
Dreams Made Flesh

Pillars of the World
Shadows and Light
House of Gaian

Hopefully these help
For mom: Celtic Knotwork sweater
For me: Rogue, shawl of my own design
For friends: Foliage hat, dragonscale wristwarmers
Eloewien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eloewien For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (09-05-2007)
Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 AM   #10
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by karendawn View Post
Although the protagonist is young, the books are not young adult. It's been a while since I've read the first book (and although I have the second, I haven't had a chance to read it yet), and I don't remember any specifically adult situations (no sex that I remember although there is some violence), but since I haven't read beyond the first book yet, I don't want to recommend it to a 14-year-old and then have the later books get more adult!
That's what happened with the Black Magician books. After the first one, I was hopeful I'd found something to recommend to her. But then, after reading the second and third, I changed my mind. It wasn't anything very overt, not like G.R.R. Martin, but just overall I decided to not mention them.

Originally Posted by karendawn View Post
Since you're going to be reading the books yourself, I think I'd recommend waiting until you've read it and make the decision on your own. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Oh, of course. And you've been extremely helpful!!