Old 09-08-2007, 05:04 AM   #11
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

Hi
Well I've knit three of the blocks and I used a nice wool yarn. But I am not satified with that yarn. I want something that looks more "elegant".

The blocks are actually very easy to do. I think I'd like to use a better yarn for this. Of course there is a "public" side and a "private" side to this scarf. So you'd have to make sure the "public" side is showing when you wear it or you can see the rows where you changed the yarn colors. Unless you use a colorway yarn like knitncook suggested. I think that's a great idea for this scarf!!

I'll have to see what I have in my stash.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
Brandy_m
1st Leg of the Journey

Another newbie question...what's a colorway yarn?
Maeve Kit mittens
Feather and Fan Shawl

FO:
Maeve kit hat
Vivian Hoxbro Nisse doll for DD
Thuja socks for DH
IK Tilted Duster
Fetching
Touch of Whimsy scarf (MMM pigeon)
Fiber Trends Gelato Bag (Lion Brand wool Rose)

Brandy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

I've got a couple projects on the go too (socks, Christmas Mystery Stole) but I fell in love with this scarf and had to make it.

I ordered Kid Mohair Silk from Sarah's Yarns (1 skein of lavender, 2 of natural) and I'm planning on dying it myself. I also ordered some of the new Harmony option tips from knitpicks. Can't wait to start it!

On the needles: Mystery Stole 3 (Zephyr), Monkey Socks (Running Wild Yarn), Steelers Socks (KnitPicks Essential)
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
ann in ma
Ribbing the Cuff

I had 8 coordinating skeins of Cascade 220 in my stash, so I bought a 9th color and casted on. After knitting up the first 4 small squares, I came to some realizations:

1. It's good that I did these for practice, because I need some refining of the picking up stitches technique. I have some gaps where the squares join, and I think it's because I was only picking up one loop of the stitch instead of the whole stitch.

2. The worsted weight yarn will give me a finished width of 18" before blocking, and probably 22-25 after blocking -- which is too wide for a scarf, too narrow for a blanket. And I don't like the fabric to wear as a wrap. Though I used size 10 needles, it still has very little drape. So this is now a practice piece -- I will probably do 2 more of the large squares to refine my techniques.

3. I need to learn to weave in the ends as I go. Mags Kandis posted a link to a tutorial with great photos on the Knitting Daily website. That tutorial is at: http://sockpr0n.blogspot.com/2006/10...-knitting.html

4. This style of knitting is addictive!! I definitely want to make the scarf/wrap now, but I am going to splurge on either Kid Silk Haze or Frog Tree Alpaca sport. However, I am going to make myself finish 2 WIPs before I can buy the yarn and cast on.
ann in ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #15
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Did anyone read the email from Knitting Daily about the yardage on this scarf? It seems that you can get 2 of the wraps out of 1 skein each of the Kidsilk.

I still don't think I can splurge on all that yarn right now but it would make a difference if I was making 2 and gifting one -- especially with Christmas so close at hand.

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
Marni
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Brandy_m View Post
Another newbie question...what's a colorway yarn?
I asked myself the same question. As defined by Wikipedia...

colorway: variegated yarn with two or more distinct hues (a "parrot colorway" might have green, yellow and red)
lelvsdgs (10-05-2007)
Old 09-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #17
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

I'd love to see your squares!!

I'm looking at getting some more of the Grignasco Bambini (which is a fingering weight) as I have some in my stash. The colours are gorgeous and it's sooo soft... Plus, it's not hugely exxy.. and I can probably get 3/4 wraps out of the balls :D

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #18
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

Noro
I'm thinking of buying some silk Noro yarn. I love their colors. I have to do some more research to make sure before I order it on line.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #19
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ann in ma View Post
I had 8 coordinating skeins of Cascade 220 in my stash, so I bought a 9th color and casted on. After knitting up the first 4 small squares, I came to some realizations:

1. It's good that I did these for practice, because I need some refining of the picking up stitches technique. I have some gaps where the squares join, and I think it's because I was only picking up one loop of the stitch instead of the whole stitch.

2. The worsted weight yarn will give me a finished width of 18" before blocking, and probably 22-25 after blocking -- which is too wide for a scarf, too narrow for a blanket. And I don't like the fabric to wear as a wrap. Though I used size 10 needles, it still has very little drape. So this is now a practice piece -- I will probably do 2 more of the large squares to refine my techniques.

3. I need to learn to weave in the ends as I go. Mags Kandis posted a link to a tutorial with great photos on the Knitting Daily website. That tutorial is at: http://sockpr0n.blogspot.com/2006/10...-knitting.html

4. This style of knitting is addictive!! I definitely want to make the scarf/wrap now, but I am going to splurge on either Kid Silk Haze or Frog Tree Alpaca sport. However, I am going to make myself finish 2 WIPs before I can buy the yarn and cast on.
Thanks for posting. I have so much Cascade 220 in mys tash that when I saw the scarf my first reaction was to use up some of it to make the scarf. So i guess that plan will not work. I guess I will have to check out my LYS to see what else there is but I have to finish:

Almost done with a clapotis - working on the decrease rows now. Must finish it by next Friday to take on my cruise. Same with a Noni bag I am making for my mom. I just have to felt it and sew the flowers on the bag. Also need for next Friday. One sleeve left to do on a baby sweater - the baby will be born on the 15th of October so that should be a piece of cake! I just started a Juliet sweater - I love this pattern and if I can get it done for the cruise that would be great - if not it will be a great project for the plane - we have a 9 hour flight to Amsterdam!

Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #20
QSG123
Casting On

Hi, I looked into all of the prices for Kids silk in the last two weeks, if I can get all colors at the lowest price, it is still another $100.00. I never knitted with Rowan's Kid silk, so I cannot really compare, but I found Crystal Palace Kid Merino, for 1/2 of the price. (anyone knows both yarns?).
The colors are not so coordinated and subtle, or springlike, but it would make a nice Jewel tone one. Kid Merino, is 28 % merino, 28 kid mohair, and 44 Nylon.240 yards).
I have 5 Xmas projects going, but hey..... the more the merrier:-))))
Thankls.
G.
QSG123 is offline   Reply With Quote