Old 09-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
stringcat
Casting On

Help with DP needles please!
I'm wondering if someone can help me and my daughter . We are both new to knitting so I hope you can bear with us and the long explanation! We've been reading a lot on this forum and everyone is so helpful and informative, we just wanted to say thank you

I have a pattern that calls for working stockinette stitch on 2 DP for 6 rows after casting on. You end in a purl row then transfer the stitches evenly on 3 double points with the knit side facing out. Then you are supposed to start knitting in the round with knit stitches.

My problem is that to have the working yarn on the right needle with the knit stitches facing out, I end up holding the needles wrong (the work in front of me and the needles in back of the work further away from me) and it ends up that the new stitches are purl bumps on the outside instead of knit stitches.

Do I hold the needles the correct way with the needles in front of me and the work away from me (behind it) and start knitting with the working yarn on the left needle so that the knit stitches end up on the outside and I join the round at the beginning of the second row? Or am I completely wrong about what I am thinking?

I really appreciate anyones help! thank you so much!

Diana and Amanda (we are sharing the screen name for now!)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
What I would do instead of transferring the sts, knit the RS/knit row for the correct number of sts for one needle, then start knitting with another needle for the correct number of sts, then knit across the last stitches with another needle. Then join, using the empty needle to knit the stitches on the first needle.

Hope I explained that clearly enough...

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
how about you flip the work inside out? and see if that helps?

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeatherFeather For This Useful Post:
stringcat (09-07-2007)
Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
stringcat
Casting On

Hi Heather,
I tried that. You end up holding the needles in the correct position but the stitches still end up opposite. The purls (on the knitted straight part) are on the outside and the part that I start knitting in the round are on the outside also, so I still end up with opposite stitches for the straight and circular part.
thanks for the advice though!

Hi suzeeq,
I understand what you are saying! It doesn't really matter if I knit off the straight to the 3 doublepoints or transfer the stitches right away to them does it? Does either one work out the same way?

So am I thinking this out right:

Does it always work out that if you knit stockinette on 2 needles ending on a purl row and you transfer or knit the stitches onto 3 doublepoints to knit in the round, the working yarn ends up on the left needle and you actually join the round at the end the beginning of the second row?

and

If you end up with a knit row on two needles, you can transfer them directly to the 3 doublepoints and you end up with all knit stitches on the outside.

Sorry to sound soooo stupid! I just want to get it straight in my mind. It's the first time I have transferred from knitting straight to circular with the stockinette stitch.

Diana
Old 09-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
It doesn't really matter if I knit off the straight to the 3 doublepoints or transfer the stitches right away to them does it? Does either one work out the same way?
It should.

And yes, if you end on the knit row, when you turn that needle around, your yarn would be at the correct place to join and start knitting around.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
stringcat (09-07-2007)
Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
stringcat
Casting On

Thank you so much for your help Sue!

I finally understand

End in a purl row, transfer to 3 DPs by knitting the round then join the round at the beginning of round 2

End in a knit row, and the round will be joined at the beginning of the first round

This is all because the working yarn is at opposite ends when you start.

This is the first time that I transferred the knitting from straight needles to working in the round with doublepoints and I think ending in the purl row really threw us! We thought it had always be joined at the beginning.

Thanks again. You guys are a great help
Old 09-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Glad it worked for you!