Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

How do (did) you learn knitting socks?
I think i need socks...my feet got cold everyday...but i don't know what books or pattern to buy...

so, i would like to hear your learning about socks and the sources you use...books or patterns...what books that provide the easiest project, tutorial with quite a lot easy and fun variation...ah, too much to ask...i saw a lot in amazon.com...but too 'lot'...so i'm confused...

i think i can make socks with worsted yarn...is it possible?...

thanks

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
knitncook
Working the Gusset

20 people are probably simultaneously writing to say to go to Silver's Sock class. OK, it's not how I learned, but then I learned years ago by just being stubborn and wanting to learn so found a simple looking pattern and did it! Since then I found Silver's website and her class and it's where I send anyone who wants to learn. The most difficult parts for most people are knitting on DPN's if they never have before and their fear of the heel. For some reason people think it is a really difficult part, but it is my most favorite part because the rest of the sock is just going around and around in circles even if there is a pattern to it. After a while even a pattern can get boring. Have fun!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitncook For This Useful Post:
Silver (08-15-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
wildflower38
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower38
I used Nenah Galati's Sock I dvd and Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks book to learn to knit socks.

My blog is The Knitting Wildflower.

You can find me on Ravelry as wildflower38.

OTN:
Tour de France yellow jersey Socks(Spring Forward) in STR lightweight 24 karat
EZ's February Baby Sweater in Lion Brand Cotton Ease Lake
Log Cabin Moderne Baby Blanket in Lion Brand Cotton Ease Lake, Violet, Turquoise and Snow
wildflower38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
zkimom
Working the Gusset

My first sock experience was at a local yarn store. This resulted in a sock that I later frogged so I could re-use the yarn.

Then I learned toe-up from Knitty.com and made my first 2 actual pairs of socks on dpns.

Next was Silver's and her awesome 2 at a time Magic Loop socks.

I'm glad I tried the regular cuff down one at a time sock pattern first to get the idea of sock construction. I also thought that if I had someone in front of me showing me how to kitchener, it would be easier than trying to slog through myself. Funny enough, I left my first sock class just as puzzled about kitchener and grafting as I started and it didn't become clear to me until I watched the videos on this site.

Socks are ok to make but I'm not as into them as many others on this site. The needles are just too darn tiny and the yarn too fine for my tastes

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Silver (08-15-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Mine was Silver. Silver silver silver silver!
I have been obsessed with knitting socks ever since my first knit stitch, so i had to. I am currently working on a pair of complicated boot socks from Favorite Socks, and since the directions are a bit hard to follow, I find myself going back to silver's instructions to compare and figure out. So even if you move on to more complicated socks, Silver and her tutorial is an invaluable resourse!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mulderknitter For This Useful Post:
Silver (08-15-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
cinnamon_girl
Knitting the Flap

I used Silver tutorial.
I also referred to the sock chapter in my copy of Yarn Harlot's Knitting Rules. It takes sock knitting down to the basics as well.
I am getting ready to kitchener stitch my toe together on my second sock of my first pair!!
No SSS for me!
So grab some dpn's and go for it.
There's also a sock knitalong in progress and there are some very nice, talented sock knitters available to encourge you along.

suzygirl @

I'm Suzy Girl on the blog I share with my good friend Jenny Girl .. Come visit us!!
http://twocrazyknitchicks.blogspot.com/
cinnamon_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinnamon_girl For This Useful Post:
Silver (08-15-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
I didn't really use Silver's tutorial AS I knit my first pair of socks, but I read through it several times being all jealous and wishing I could knit socks long before. When I eventually did knit my first pair, I just used a pattern. The only time I had any trouble was the phrase "pick up and knit" but other than that, I was fine.

I think if I didn't hear "Short rows may seem wrong at first. Just trust the pattern. No matter what, trust the pattern. It will seem wrong, but it's right" about a billion times before I turned my first heel, I would have had lots of trouble with it. But since everyone made such a big deal of that, I just did it when it came up in the pattern, and everything came out all right.

Anyhow, I'll always recommend Silver's tutorial. It kind of helped me understand the "why" of sock knitting - proportions and whatnot. Definitely the best way to learn in my opinion. It may be helpful to watch Amy's video of turning a heel, as well, if you need that kind of video visual.

But I learned from a basic sock pattern. And now I'm addicted. Shamelessly so.

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redheadrachel For This Useful Post:
Silver (08-15-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

Silver's tutorials! Go Silver! You rock!

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjminarcik For This Useful Post:
Silver (08-15-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
All good advice here...........silver's tutorial is so very helpful. I didn't discover it until a yarn seller on Etsy sent me a very basic sock pattern and talked me through my questions. But I visited that tutorial everytime I grafted the toes on socks for months afterwards. Finally I printed out the instructions to keep in my knitting file. But the visuals ARE invaluable. Like someone said, though, you need to go through the process of knitting a sock, I think from the top down, just to 'get it'......you know,.....to understand the process and all the parts. Then you'll see that it is a blank canvas on which you can do practically anything.

And, yes, you can definitely make socks from worsted weight yarn. My very SECOND pair of socks (the ones in my avatar) were made from this booklet, http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5131854
which has instructions and numbers needed for making each sock from a choice of three different weights of yarn.

Be sure and check out the 'Any Sock KAL', in the knitalongs section of the forum............we'll all be happy to hold your hand and answer questions. Then you'll be ONE OF US...........wahaahhahhhahhhaaaaaaaaaa!

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
...dotty... is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ...dotty... For This Useful Post:
Silver (08-15-2007)
Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
I just sat down one day and said today is the day of making socks. That is how I felt no matter what I did it just didn't sink in. I bought the Pure and Simple patterns for socks. I haven't stopped making them. I also kept in my mind what Ingrid says just trust the pattern. I did and my first pair of socks was born.
You can't go wrong using Silvers Sock Tutorial either it's great.
just don't give up you will be making socks

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerbread For This Useful Post:
Silver (08-15-2007)