Old 09-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Brandy Wine
Casting On

Knitting socks on circular needles
OK, I've come acroos several places showing me how to do the cuff on two circulars. HOWEVER, when it gets down to the heel flap, turning the heel, and the gusset, I can only find the way to do it on DPN's. I don't really like working with them (they slide too much and get in the way of my rather large hands). Is there anyone who could give me tips on working the rest of the sock on circulars?
Brandy Wine is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
MilkyMama
Ribbing the Cuff

When you say circular needles, do you mean using very long ones and using the magic loop technique? http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html

http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Magic_Loop

Those two links should get you started...
Old 09-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Tinker
Ribbing the Cuff

I use the Magic Loop for the whole sock, but I imagine making the heel flap and gusset would be similar on 2 circulars. I follow Elizabeth Zimmerman's directions for the heel flap (work on 1/2 of the stitches back and forth until you have a square). Slip the first stitch and purl the last stitch of every row. You can tell when you've got it square when your neat little lines of slipped stitches equals 1/2 the number of stitches on your needle. They'll be easy to pick up too. The 'az" site that Milky Mama mentioned has a good article you can d/l on the Magic loop if you'd like to try it.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Jill A.
1st Leg of the Journey

I do all socks on 2 circulars. I never found a great way of doing the gusset, so I made up my version:
As normal when knitting on 2 circs, you will have 1/2 the stitches on each needle. Pick one needle to be the heel stitches (ignore the other needle for now ).

The heel flap (a slip stitch pattern) and the heel (the knit and purl back and forth with k2T and P2T) are done on one needle.

Picking up the gusset. At this point I grab a couple of extra circular needles, because I find there are just too many stitches to fit on the 2 needles.

First side: Pick up stitches - one for each slip stitch and one or two extra at the end to avoid holes. I put these stitches on one of the new needles. Knit across the needle that has been just sitting there. Pick up stitches on the other side of the slip stitches, trying to get the same number as you picked up on the other side. These also go on an extra needle. Now you can knit across the stitches that you turned the heel on. As you do the decrease stitches to get back to the number you originally cast-on or the number specified by your pattern, you can drop out the extra needles. I usually put a stitch marker at the middle of the heel stitches so that I can count the stitches on each side as I decrease to make sure I don't miss a decrease on one side.

When you are back to the number you need for the foot, just continue on 2 needles.

I had a really hard time with heels until I bought I few extra needles from Knit Picks. I had been using Addi Turbo's but the Knit Picks are much more affordable.

Hope this helps. If you still have questions, feel free to message me here or on Ravelry where I am cinnamonsheep.

Queue:
baby gifts

my blog

Jill A. is offline   Reply With Quote