Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
tkingny
Ribbing the Cuff

Pattern Question - Sleeve decreases
I'm a little confused with these pattern instructions (why I was only confused on the second sleeve is somewhat disconcerting, but better late than never.

I'm doing the decreases on the sleeves (to the armhole). I've already done quite a few decreases, and now have 15 stitches on the needle. The next instructions say, "Dec 1 st each end of needles every fourth RS row 0 (2,3,3,) times - 15 st remain. BO 0 (2,3,3) st at beg of next 2 rows, then 2 (3,3,3) sts at beg of foll 2 rows - 11 stitches remain. BO all stitches. I'm knitting the smallest size, therefore, I only need to BO 2 stitches at each end and then BO the remaining 11 stitches. However, I'm confused about how many rows I should be knitting in between. Do I (i) jump right to the BO of the 2 stitches at each end (without knitting any additional rows), or (ii) knit an additional 10 rows before binding off the 2 stitches at each end?

I did Option (i) on the first sleeve, but now I'm questioning whether that was right? Any clarification would be most appreciated.
tkingny is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep you did the first sleeve correctly, I think. Don't do any more rows since you already 15 sts. BO 2 sts at the beginning of the row you're about to do, 2 more at the begining of the next row, (you can't BO on the end of a row, only the start) then BO the 11 sts, that's it, you're done.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
tkingny
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks so much for the quick response! I'm so glad I don't have to rip out the other sleeve. I had no idea sleeves would take so much time! Quick question, though. I did bind off at the end of the row. Perhaps I did it wrong, but somehow I got those stitches off! Do I need to redo them?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you bound off at the end of the row, how did you BO the remaining 11 sts? If it looks okay though (compare it to this 2nd sleeve) you shouldn't need to redo it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 AM   #5
tkingny
Ribbing the Cuff

Instead of putting one stitch over the other and off of the needle at the beginning of the row, I did it at the end, and then turned my work around to start the next row. I still have a couple of additional bind off rows (beg/end) before I bind off the final 11 stitches, but it seems to look ok right now. I thought it was a weird instructions, but I went with it. Hmmm, hopefully, it will be OK. Thanks!