Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Picking up too many sts?
Again, this is my first sweater and I'm so close to the end I can taste it! BUT I have come across this last part, which isn't even a big part, but cannot for the life of me figure out how I come up with 186 sts and it only calls for picking up 138 sts.

How does this happen. I've re-read the pattern over and over but I've done everything right up until this point. I'm making the collar now for it (tilted duster, IK mag.) And it says to pick up from the right front to the middle back to the left front 138 sts and I picked up 186 sts. If I drop any one of those extra 48 sts, I'll have quite the gapping for the collar and I don't want that. And I can't knit a couple of rows and do decreasing until I get to the 138 sts cause it has me starting the k2 p2 pattern right away.

Anyone had this problem?? Again, I've re-read the pattern a million times. Walked away for the night and re-read it again another half million times and I'm still seeing it the same way.

Oy vey.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

I had that once.. I ended up having to undo all my picked up sts. What i did was measure the collar all the way round, then divided how many sts i had to pick up with the lenght of the collar, so i had a rough idea on how many sts within say an inch, or 3cm or something like that. I could've then measured out every inch to the collar and marked it with some contrasting yarn and picked up the sts within the markers. But i didn't do this and just judged it by eye. The result was a lot more accurate than what i first had. Hope this helps in some way...
mscarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mscarmen For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (09-11-2007)
Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
I have IK so I looked at it and the only thing I can think is that maybe you need to pick up fewer stitches across the whole thing. I would thing those 48 could be spread out over the whole thing w/o causing problems.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (09-11-2007)
Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I have IK so I looked at it and the only thing I can think is that maybe you need to pick up fewer stitches across the whole thing. I would thing those 48 could be spread out over the whole thing w/o causing problems.

First off, thank goodness someone actually has this pattern!!! I thought I was the only one that bought the magazine! Second, really? You don't think losing 48 sts would cause any gaps?? Oh boy. I really don't want to rip it out, but I guess I don't have a choice. I'll see what happens, if it doesn't work, I'll be back for more advice!

Thank you!!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by mscarmen View Post
I had that once.. I ended up having to undo all my picked up sts. What i did was measure the collar all the way round, then divided how many sts i had to pick up with the lenght of the collar, so i had a rough idea on how many sts within say an inch, or 3cm or something like that. I could've then measured out every inch to the collar and marked it with some contrasting yarn and picked up the sts within the markers. But i didn't do this and just judged it by eye. The result was a lot more accurate than what i first had. Hope this helps in some way...

Boy, I had to re-read your post 3 times before I finally understood what you meant. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer . I'll give it a try. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Bailsmom,

If you have your gauge right and the number of stitches called for in the pattern at the neck edge, then you need to pick up the number of stitches they ask for. The designer realizes that is 48 different from what you had, but this is needed to get the look they got. It seems wrong, but it will work out. Seeming gaps will fill in and all will be well.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (09-11-2007)
Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
Bailsmom,

If you have your gauge right and the number of stitches called for in the pattern at the neck edge, then you need to pick up the number of stitches they ask for. The designer realizes that is 48 different from what you had, but this is needed to get the look they got. It seems wrong, but it will work out. Seeming gaps will fill in and all will be well.

Yep, I actually was smart and did a swatch. Rather proud of myself for that one!! All my pieces have come out to their exact measurement when I'm done with each piece, so I know I'm doing it right. With this being my first sweater, it just gets frustrating that they are speaking a different language than I'm used to and assuming I'll know that it's okay to not pick up every stitch.

Oh well, such is life. I'm off to undo my sts and start again. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

Bailsmom I'm sorry if my explanation didn't make sense. My english isnt so good, especially my grammar! If you want me to explain further i can try. I think if you are going to rip it all out calculating how many sts to an inch will help you loads, that way you are not guessing again.
After living in London for 5 years maybe i need some english lessons!
Ihope I have helped!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
cookworm
Working the Gusset

I thought this problem only happened to me--that the pattern says to pick up x stitches, but in my fear of big gaps, I wind up picking up way more.

While I'm not familiar with your particular pattern, somebody just recently posted this Knitty article about a really great method on how to pick up stitches...maybe it will help? I have it bookmarked so I can refer to it when I start knitting "Tubey" and have to pick up the stitches for the body, because I know I'll wind up picking up WAY too many.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookworm For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (09-11-2007)
Old 09-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

bailsmom, the link cookworm has given you to the knitty page explains perfectly what i was trying to explain to you! Don't listen to me just read that article!
I guess I should leave explainign things for people with perfect english