Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

I'm afraid to board my babies :(
This is kinda long, you've been warned!

I need some advice/encouragement and I need it fast! DH and I are going on our first official vacation and it only took 10 years to get here! We're planning on going to Niagara Falls, Canada next week. We've had the hotel reservations and kennel reserved for a few weeks now and are really excited to go, even if it's only for a few days.

But my problem is leaving my "children" behind to be cared for by strangers.

Normally I wouldn't be so worried, but my children have quite a few ailments that require constant attention and I'm the only one who truly pays attention to the littlest of things.

Our one cat was diagnosed with diabetes last year and has since gone into remission due to our switching him to canned cat food. Which is on the one hand wonderful since he no longer requires constant monitoring, BUT we also can't just put down dry food for 4 days and let them graze till we get home because the dry food would send him back to the diabetes. (we also put out 4 litter boxes for them) Our other cat has digestive issues that require petromalt in the morning and a pepcid pill in the evening to control his vomiting. Works great, but it also costs $1.00 per dosage. Which wouldn't be so bad but our Bailey has a million allergy problems and thyroid issues which requires 2 doses of her thyroid, 2 doses of allergy pills, (This is twice a day btw) then I just took her to her allergist and she has her on some ointments due to her excessive itching of her paws and chin. So that's also twice a day. Plus this past summer she started making this awful noise with her throat/nose where it sounds like she's got a piece of grass stuck up in there and she's trying to get it out and that is a HORRIBLE sound to have to wake up to in the middle of the night. Trust me.

Then I have to hold her to calm her down and rub her throat and then she'll stop and relax and the flap thingy back there opens back up and she's fine. (I asked her allergist about this just to be sure) but who's going to help her in the middle of the night when this happens??

If you've made it this far, bless you. But how can I leave my babies when I'm the only one who can really care for them the way they need to be cared for??

I'm just torn about what to do. I started thinking of maybe taking day trips next week to Rhode Island and Massachusetts and Vermont and New Hampshire that way we can come home and still take care of them. I haven't told DH my idea yet, just my nervousness of leaving them for 5 days.

Am I being crazy about this? We have left them before, but not when the cats were this "sick" and not when Bailey was doing this thing with her throat. We have no one to come to the house and watch them so that won't work. Oh what do I do? Thank you for listening to my worries.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
msoebel
Turning the Heel

I need to get my eyes checked. When I first read the thread title, I thought it said "Afraid about my boobies"

I couldn't figure out what was scary about breasts!

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR

We usually plan on bringing our dogs on the trip, even though I'm sure it would be more relaxing without them! Last time I boarded the dogs was a few weeks ago when I was so sick I couldn't get off the couch. I, of course, bawled my eyes out as I handed them over. And made sure they had my home, cell, and work number. And I called everyday to check on them. So, I feel your pain!

Do you feel comfortable about the kennel? Do you like the people that work there and such? If your gut, not your "mommy voice" is telling you that you don't feel comfortable with the place, then listen to it.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
debinoz
Turning the Heel

You're not going to enjoy your trip if you're already this worried and you haven't even left yet! Sometimes as "parents" we need some time away from our "babies" to relax and enjoy life instead of being worried and stressed all the time.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by msoebel View Post
I need to get my eyes checked. When I first read the thread title, I thought it said "Afraid about my boobies"

I couldn't figure out what was scary about breasts!

Misty
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

How about a pet sitter? Where they come in twice a day, take 'em for walks, feed them, do whatever they're used to? I know my neighbors go that route and they love their sitters. The couple of people that our neighbors have used are huge animal lovers and are almost obsessive about the happiness of the "kids".
Old 09-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
stirsmommy
Turning the Heel

Where we boarded our dog also had a petting sitting service. My sister used that as she had several pets and it was so nice knowing someone was there twice a day to monitor. They even left her notes about how they had been doing. I am super picky about my fur babies so I check to see how people are with animals and really check out their skills first. Have you visited the kennel yet? Do you know how much one on one your kitties will get? I bet you checked these things out before you made the reservation and it is normal to have nerves. Why don't you call the kennel and chat about your babies special needs? Tell them you are just so worried since you haven't left them. Most pet people will completely understand how you feel.
OTN: Wonderful Wallaby for dd(on hold)
Pigeldy done but needs to be seamed and felted
scarf
Thorne market bag
Clogs (to replace shawls)
Christmas Stocking
In line to be cast on:Clogs (2 more pair)
scarf for ds
cat scarf for ds#2
2 booga bags
stirsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

http://www.petsitters.org/

Here's the website for the National Association of Pet Sitters, you can locate one by zip code and it gives the low down on what they are all about if that's something that's feasible for you.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Can you board them with your vet office? The pet sitter is also a nice idea b/c then he kitties are in their own home. I used to pet sit (b/c my apt wouldn't let me have a dog) and there was a family that had a golden ret with epilepsy so I would spend the night at their home in case she had a seizure.

I'm really no help as I have never boarded my babies - they always go with me or stay with family. My hubby and I don't have any children so we fight about he dogs and the fact that I feel like I am the only one who can give them the proper amount of love, care and attention. So, I totally sympathize with you...I'm already stressing about leaving them the end of this month. However, everytime I have had to leave my babies I always get home and they are perfectly fine and most likely didn't even miss me.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
Can you board them with your vet office? The pet sitter is also a nice idea b/c then he kitties are in their own home. I used to pet sit (b/c my apt wouldn't let me have a dog) and there was a family that had a golden ret with epilepsy so I would spend the night at their home in case she had a seizure.

I'm really no help as I have never boarded my babies - they always go with me or stay with family. My hubby and I don't have any children so we fight about he dogs and the fact that I feel like I am the only one who can give them the proper amount of love, care and attention. So, I totally sympathize with you...I'm already stressing about leaving them the end of this month. However, everytime I have had to leave my babies I always get home and they are perfectly fine and most likely didn't even miss me.
Yes, I know this all too well. I don't work and when we do our shopping on the weekends and we're gone for 5 hours I get upset cause they're all alone for that long.

EVEN though I know they are sleeping the whole time, I still beat myself up for leaving them.

I'm a crazy mom.