Old 09-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I think I'm going to tattoo my cat first and see if I like it!
I agree on the respect thing.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #12
Silver
Instepping Out

You may like the cat tattoo, but how are you gonna feel when kitty turns your pillow into her litter box?

No joke though... some people DO tattoo their animals. And I'm not talking about for identification purposes... I mean real tats done just for their own amusement!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #13
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

She would kill me in my sleep long before then. If I even so much as touch her with what she thinks is a dirty hand she gives me flack. I can imagine tattooing a flower or something on her.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
So when is your appointment Kristin? I've thought about getting another one for a while...I really think there is a bit of addiction with it. If I could figure out where to put it I'd probably do it it again. I don't like the idea of my butt in the air for an hour though
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
Silver
Instepping Out

lol Kemp.
I don't have an appointment yet. He was supposed to call me last night, but he got stuck working on a back piece for 3+ hours. And I haven't been able to get through to him today. I'm gonna try calling him again in a bit.

Silver's Sock Classes
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Old 09-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Keeping my fingers crossed that it's soon for you. I remember once I finally did decide on the first one I could hardly wait to get it done!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #17
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

I always think about what I want and make sure I still like the idea a wee while later before doing it - luckily for that (since I usually want them now now now!) the artist I go to has a 2 month waiting list at all times, so you have to wait. I *LOVE* all of mine - I have them on both wrists, and, while it sometimes gets the nerves twitching while it's done, they weren't that bad. My next one will be on the top of one of my wrists, to remind me to Breathe....

As for the commitment thing - my belief is that my tattoos represent something very important to me - either to mark an occasion, something that means a lot to me, something I believe or something in memory of someone. Whatever happens in my future, these things will still have been important to me, and will function as a kind of road map of my life, with all its beautiful uncertainties. For example :

I have a phoenix on my foot, with 'and still I rise...' underneath it, to mark when I got out of the wheelchair. I always said I'd get it done when I managed that, and so the day I went was a very cathartic and emotional time.

I have a shooting star on my thigh, in memory of my baby Aron who died before he was born. His name means shining light, and he was only here for a little while but burned brightly.

I have a vine around one wrist, to signify nature - the core of my beliefs.

I have three chinese characters on the inside of the other wrist - 'dream', 'tranquillity' and 'willow' (both my nickname and a shortened version of 'the willow knows what the strom does not : that the power to endure harm outlives the power to inflict it'). The latter is in the middle, over a previous suicide attempt scar, and the idea was that, if I ever got that bad again, I would have to cut through that tattoo to do it - and it's saved my life a couple of times. My mother, who was totally against tattoos, actually drove me to the artist and paid for that one.

And I have a tribal butterfly on my shoulder, my first one, because I love butterflies and I doubt that'll change ;-)

So, even if I move on from different beliefs or convictions, it's sometimes good to be able to remind yourself of where you've come from, how far you've come, and who you used to be.

And, in the wonderful Ani Difranco's words : 'A tattoo is only as permanent as I am'.

Fi xxx
Stonington (09-13-2007)
Old 09-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #18
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Wow Willow, that's really cool. Thanks for sharing what your tats represent.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by kemp View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed that it's soon for you. I remember once I finally did decide on the first one I could hardly wait to get it done!
I don't know when yet... he doesn't work today.

Originally Posted by willowangel View Post
So, even if I move on from different beliefs or convictions, it's sometimes good to be able to remind yourself of where you've come from, how far you've come, and who you used to be.

And, in the wonderful Ani Difranco's words : 'A tattoo is only as permanent as I am'.
That's a really great way to think of it Willow, and the meanings of your tattoos are very deep. Thanks for sharing!

Most of mine have a certain sentimental reason behind them, but not all... and that's ok. I still remember when and where I got them and what things were like at the time. I appreciate meaningful tattoos, but I don't think that all of them have to be some monumental dedication. Sometimes it's ok to get a tat "just because".

Silver's Sock Classes
Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #20
giedre11
Ribbing the Cuff

Oooh, I've always wanted a tattoo, but I too am afraid of needles! My biggest concern is that one day I'll get up the nerve to do it, and then right in the middle of having it done I'll find it too painful to continue, and there I'll be...a smudge of ink/halfway way done tat, and that I'll have to live with for the rest of my life!
giedre11 is offline   Reply With Quote