Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
kym
Ribbing the Cuff

Has anyone tried this pattern..
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60536.html

A friend is doing it and it's awesome. Is it hard? I know the stockinette stitch but with 4 strands on those huge needles that makes me nervous.
kym is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
marykz
Working the Gusset

knitting with several strands isn't hard, just can get a little twisty. and you have to pay attention to get all 4 strands as you go back across your stitches. but it makes things go really fast! check the general forum for lots of comments about the homespun yarn... the huge needles take some getting used to. personally I don't like them, but to each their own! try it! what's the worst that can happen: you don't like it and you frog it.
you can do it!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I completed this a couple of weeks ago. It took me about 1 dayto knit it and then another to make the fringe. It was the easiest thing I have ever knit. The large needles are sort of fun to work with once you get the hang of them. I would recommend this to anyone looking to make a quick gift or just a throw for yourself. My only word of caution is that it's really long and not very wide, so it's sort of a personal blankie, but that's okay with me! I'm actually going to make another one for another Christmas gift!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I made a couple of these last year for Xmas and LOVE the way this works up. I used black, white, gray and variegated for one and it looked and felted so luxurious! It does work up very quickly - and you do have to make sure you grab all four strands. Those large needles take some getting used to as well, but once you find your groove it isn't too bad. The only thing is that my shoulders and arms tended to get tired quicker b/c they are so big, and I couldn't work on it for long periods. So I had to make sure I had at least another project going with smaller needles when I needed to put the big ones down (I know, big problem right?).
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote