Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Credit Card Fraud -- what to do?
Hi everyone,

This really stinks. Really. I got a call from both American Express and Visa to say that both my cards have suspicious charges on them and they are definately not my charges.

What I can't figure out is how someone got both my card numbers and if they have that much information, what else do they know and how did they get that information?

Also, other than cancelling both my cards, what do I do now?

Never order online again?

This really stinks and of course, dh is out of the country until Friday. This so very much sucks!

Anyone have any experience with this and know what I should do now?

Thanks,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Anthonygoak (04-28-2014), Everettol (04-12-2014), JeffreyKip (05-07-2014), Kelvinmaw (05-10-2014), MatthewOr (04-30-2014), RichardEi (04-29-2014), Stephenwic (04-28-2014), Thomaspt (05-10-2014), Williamsox (04-28-2014), WillisHig (05-06-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
marykz
Working the Gusset

call the 3 credit bureaus and put fraud alerts on your ss number/ credit reports. NOW!! you were hacked somewhere- sorry. it is awful. I had a wallet stolen and tons of damage done.

file police reports if you can figure out how they were stolen. document real charges and phony ones. check all your credit reports for new (fraudulent) lines of credit. call the banks for new account numbers, not just new cards with the same number. if you are concerned about your bank account: change your account. there are fraud service agents in most banks these days, find them for your bank to let them know.

suspend/ change paypal/ebay/amazon "buy it now" stuff.

the next few months will be tough, trying to figure out what has been compromised.

it now takes practically an act of congress for me to open a new credit card, and I prefer it that way.

I'm so sorry it happened to you!!! at least they called!!!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
Anthonygoak (04-28-2014), Everettol (04-12-2014), Jan in CA (05-05-2014), JeffreyKip (05-07-2014), Kelvinmaw (05-10-2014), MatthewOr (04-30-2014), RichardEi (04-29-2014), Stephenwic (04-28-2014), Thomaspt (05-10-2014), Williamsox (04-28-2014), WillisHig (05-06-2014), zkimom (09-18-2007)
Old 09-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
marykz
Working the Gusset

oh yeah- could your hubby have been scammed overseas? do you share those accounts? you don't want to strand him without a CC, but I'd bet that is where it happened if you share card accounts.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
zkimom (09-18-2007)
Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by marykz View Post
oh yeah- could your hubby have been scammed overseas? do you share those accounts? you don't want to strand him without a CC, but I'd bet that is where it happened if you share card accounts.
Luckily we have separate credit accounts.

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
misha rf

Ugh. That sucks. My husband's debit card # was somehow stolen earlier this year. Someone charged $1900+ to a travel agent in Norway (among a couple other things)! The bank called us to notify us of the charges. We still had to call the bank & disputed the charges. We actually had to dispute them twice--the first time, the bank denied they were fraudulent charges. So he went down to the bank & visited with the bank VP, who called the home office & got it straightened out. In the meantime, he was getting irate emails from ebay merchants, wanting payment on stuff. Ebay was really good about working with him to get this settled.

I also saw this happen to a friend of a former employer. He ended up signing affidavits stating that he had not made the purchases (at the time the state of TX had your name, address & ssn available online through the dept. of motor vehicles).

Good luck!!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 PM   #6
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
Well if you're worried about ordering online, then there is a couple of things you can do, most ordering sites are secure, however that doesn't necessarily mean that somebody isn't tracking your keystroke, if you have a local computer guru around, have them check your computer for any third party program that isn't supposed to be there. more than likely you've got a behind the scenes program like a keylogger that is tracking your every keystroke. I know it's scary, but back up what information you deem important and have your computer guru reinstall your o/s. Just my 2 cents.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rorshach For This Useful Post:
zkimom (09-20-2007)
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Someone might have already said this but two of the most common points where cards are copied are cafes and taxis. Never sit in the back of the taxi if you intend to use a card. If you pay at a cafe you don't know, go with the person to their counter and watch.

Amex are good about wiping bills they know aren't yours.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

By the way, they copy the strip. There is literally a machine that does that. They take the strip copy, put it on a card and there you are, the strip records the purchases in your name. Happened to my son when he was last in the US but Amex simply wiped all the bills for gym equipment and perfumes etc knowing they were atypical purchases and he was hardly likely to buy large gym equipment when traveling!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Rorshach View Post
Well if you're worried about ordering online, then there is a couple of things you can do, most ordering sites are secure, however that doesn't necessarily mean that somebody isn't tracking your keystroke, if you have a local computer guru around, have them check your computer for any third party program that isn't supposed to be there. more than likely you've got a behind the scenes program like a keylogger that is tracking your every keystroke. I know it's scary, but back up what information you deem important and have your computer guru reinstall your o/s. Just my 2 cents.
I have a Mac -- do they have 3rd party programs like that for Apple yet? I know how to find all that stuff on a PC but on my Mac I wouldn't know where to look.
ETA: Now that I think about it, I'd better check the pc that the kid's use. I was laid up for a while and I bet I might have used it to make a purchase or two (yarn, I'm sure!) which would explain why everything else but those 2 cards seems intact.

Thanks,
Susan

--Elwood P. Dodd

Last edited by zkimom : 09-19-2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 09-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
JudyD
Turning the Heel

I've had two credit cards compromised from Internet dealings. The first was a Visa card used strictly for on-line purchases and the second was a MC to replace the Visa and also used strictly for on-line purchases.

Whenever possible I now use the Discover card secure on-line account numbers. Discover issues a one-time only account number for the transaction and no one ever knows your actual account number. American Express also offers the service. I'm not sure if other cards offer the service yet.

The other option is to make a phone call to place an order.

Credit card companies will now call the card holder if the charges go over a certain limit or the card shows suspicious activity, unlike when my first card was compromised and charges were already in the thousands of dollars before I got the statement of all statements!

JudyD
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JudyD For This Useful Post:
zkimom (09-20-2007)