Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #21
Limey
Turning the Heel

Painted Desert - I couldn't really do it justice trying to describe the colours - I can still see them as vividly now - one of those things that stay with you.

We were driving along a highway and stopped at the nearest pull-off point - got out of the car and just stood there, looking at those magical colours, like a wonderful masterpiece in a gallery.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #22
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

That would have been beautiful. Truly I was saying to someone before on a blog that stepping out to look at the night sky when you're in the country and away from city lights is a whole new breathtaking experience.

But I was just thinking of a country like Poland. Aside from letters like Zbys sounding Spish..I know nothing really about the country. Again, perhaps its a media thing. But I was looking at an atlas recently and there were a couple of countries I hadn't heard of. Perhaps more newly broken off and created nations but still.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:08 AM   #23
Limey
Turning the Heel

Michael Palin (Monty Python bunch) has just started a new TV series about eastern Europe. He's travelled the world, even did a series called 'Around the World in 80 days' but had not been to eastern Europe.

His first place was the former Yugoslavia - where Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia are getting back on their feet, after the war in the 1990s.

I'm sure Australia will get the new series soon.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #24
Chel
Turning the Heel

I'll have a go!

Malta:
The Upper Barracca Gardens
Pastizzi
Lace Makers
Luzzu
Kinnie

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #25
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Wow Chel..now THAT is a country I wouldn't have expected..and the unexpected can be intriguing!

I know nothing about Malta aside from the large rock and the monkeys that apparently can be quite aggressive so interesting to know about lace making for example. However, aside from the gardens none of the other words connect for me. I COULD search for them of course but I've love to hear from you what they are and why you chose them.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #26
figaro
Working the Gusset

My husband is from The Netherlands and I have been there 3 times so I will do The Netherlands:

1. Tulips/flower bulbs
2. Bicycles-EVERYBODY is riding them there!
3. Amsterdam-beautiful city!
4. price of gas - "With a price of E 1.48 per liter (which is about E 5.6 per gallon, or almost USD 7 per gallon), the gas price in Holland surpasses the gas price in other European countries." (makes sense to ride a bike!) (http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...bal_gasprices/)
5. Just all around a beautiful country, I love the canals, seeing the swan in them, the windmills, and seeing how different the cities are but in a good way!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #27
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Hi Mariblue

Glad to know you liked living here - (and especially Mr Bean).

I lived in Massachusetts for a while and what mainly springs to mind are trees, trees, and more trees - seriously, Delicate Arch in Utah, Niagra Falls, Grand Canyon, Painted Desert - ok, I'll say something good about the trees - the colours in Autumn are spectactular.

Comedies - Jerry Seinfeld
Ah yes, well, who can't like Mr. Bean? My kids like to re-enact scenes from Mr. Bean sometimes when they are playing. We think he is hilarious. I have a fondness for British Comedy in General. It just seems to fit in with my sense of humor.
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #28
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

figaro.. I would have to spend a while cross comparing to our prices but we are about $1.68 a litre at the moment I think. I would normally know but my son has been doing the petrol runs lately. All the other elements I related to immediately. Books from my childhood illustrated the windmills and the tulips and yes, I hear the pushbike culture is really significant - perhaps encouraged also by the relatively flat landscape?

What food is associated with the Netherlands as nothing comes to my mind. I can see the women in those sort of caps with the 'wings' on the side and clogs of course.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #29
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

mariblue..we could almost start another thread on British comedies. I have quite a collection of DVD's at this point and love some dearly.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #30
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Switzerland: The Alps, Chocolate, World Bank, Heidi (like the book and/or movie with Shirley Temple) and watches.

I miss "Britcoms". Our PBS doesn't play them anymore...I LOVED Red Dwarf and have asked for the DVDs for three Christmases now. Also liked Black Adder, the show with Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet, my dear!)...and of course, who doesn't love them some Monty Python?

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote