Old 09-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Silver
Instepping Out

VW New Beetle owners?
I'm shopping for a new car and I think I've settled on a New Beetle. Anyone out there own one? Pros? Cons?

We test drove a few of them today and I really like them inside and out. It's a big change from what I'm driving now... a F150 extended cab, long bed truck.. or as I affectionately call the Land Leviathan. I really, really love my truck, but it's time for a change and I'm thinking I'd really like something smaller and more fuel efficient. My son will be driving his own car soon and I don't need a great big truck anymore. And I've liked the bug since it first came out.

I'd love some comments from other bug owners!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
marykz
Working the Gusset

I have a VW passat wagon, but know several friends with beetles. they all LOVE them. I love my wagon. knock-on-wood we have had no problems in 4 years of ownership. Love the way it drives, it fits us well, gets good gas milage...... VW has been good to deal with for a dealer..... the only complaint I've heard about the beetle is uncomfortable back seats for adults to sit in. and not much trunk space. other than that everyone we know with one has been happy.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
Silver (09-19-2007)
Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
jodstr2
Instepping Out

it's small, but you know that already, 'cuz you test-drove them. I think it'll be a huge adjustment going from your F150 to an NB. but if your son will have his own car soon, maybe he can assist with stuff the NB can't haul. do the 4 of you all go places together in one car? if so, it'll be a squeeze in the NB.

overall I think they're cute. I've been wanting a Platinum color Turbo S NB for a few years, but not enough to give up my .:R. they only made it for one production year I think (2002).

I am biased tho, we are a VW/Audi famly and my husband makes his living modding and reparing them. I've bought 2 new VWs and my dealership experiences were good.

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jodstr2 For This Useful Post:
Silver (09-19-2007)
Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

Thanks for your input! Good comments!

A little more info, DH has a Honda Element, which we use for road trips. We would all squeeze in the bug for going out to dinner and such, but when we were testing it out, DH got in the back seat and said it's comparable to the back seat of my truck, and the seats are more comfortable. (My truck is an extended cab, which doesn't have the full sized backseat like a super cab truck.) He's really picky and said he liked it, so that's good. I was actually surprised at the amount of room inside. It didn't feel nearly as small as I thought it would.

Overall, I think I'm sold. We drove both a brand new and one with 50k miles on it to feel the difference between new and used. DH is a car guy and he's pretty satisfied with the bug. And that's even after driving my mom's new BMW all day. Dad bought mom a 530i for her birthday!

We're going back next week to test drive a convertible (which is what I really want!). We didn't drive one today because it was raining...

Silver's Sock Classes
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Old 09-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
marykz
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by jodstr2 View Post
I am biased tho, we are a VW/Audi famly and my husband makes his living modding and reparing them. I've bought 2 new VWs and my dealership experiences were good.
We had looked at the Audi (for the safety record), but then read the VW passats are built on the same frame- and we just loved it.

Oh yeah- and everyone knows you when you have a beetle- you will get honked at all the time!!! LOL, my sister in law is dying for a convertible....

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
Silver (09-19-2007)
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
My ex (bf at the time...) bought a brand new VW GTI... I've driven it a few times... Love it. I haven't been in a NB yet, but if it's anything like the GTI, you won't have any issues with it. We had a wonderful experience at the dealership.. they actually walked us through the manual, page by page. I've been with family members buying cars before, but the people at VW really do a much better job that any other dealers.

Good luck! Hope you'll be happy with your new baby
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Riss For This Useful Post:
Silver (09-19-2007)
Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Hi Silver!

I HAD a New Beetle. It was a 2000 year model, and I adored it! In fact, I had a pair of beetles. We have been remodeling our house since we moved into it, and you would just be amazed at the things we hauled in that little car! As for the interior room, it is so spacious - mostly I think because the roof is so high, it just feels like there is plenty of room. I have ridden in the back seat for hours at a time, and found it comfortable enough (I'm 5'9").

Because the cost of gas was on the rise, Hubby decided we needed a diesel engine (we commute 45 miles each way). Now, we have a Jetta Wagon. It it a TDI (Diesel engine) - there were no Beetles available at the time, or I would have another one!! The Jetta is a great car, and we have enjoyed it, it just doesn't have the personality of my Sunny! I still whine everytime I see a yellow Beetle. I think one day I'll have another one!

I would suggest considering the TDI - we are getting about 45 mpg now.

Have fun and post pics!! I'll be in my coffee, though!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharly For This Useful Post:
Silver (09-19-2007)
Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Sharly View Post
adored it! In fact, I had a pair of beetles.... <snip>

I would suggest considering the TDI - we are getting about 45 mpg now.

Have fun and post pics!! I'll be in my coffee, though!!
Cute pair of beetles!! Like Herbie and his girlfriend! lol

DH has suggested getting a diesel. Next time we go test drive, we'll see if they have one we can test it out. I told him that at least with a diesel, if we ever decide to refine our own cooking oil, we can convert to biofuel in a snap!

I will certainly post pix when I get it, but it's going to be a little while still. I think he wants to sell my truck first so we can use that as a down payment (and he thinks we can get more in a private sale than a trade in). But the good thing is, he's totally enticed by the dealership's 0% financing for 3 years.

It can't happen too soon for me. I'm getting soooo excited. Everytime I see one on the road, I just go !!!!! Oh I hate waiting....

Silver's Sock Classes
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
Sharly
Turning the Heel

I'm excited for you!!

We just bought a used F-150 a few weeks ago! It's a shame we couldn't have worked something out to help speed up the process of getting your New Beetle!

Last edited by Sharly : 09-19-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Content Added
Sharly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharly For This Useful Post:
Silver (09-19-2007)
Old 09-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I haven't driven one but I think they are adorable. I saw a lime green one covered in hot pink flowers once. LOVED IT!

Last week I came out of a meeting and saw a bug there that had the license plate:

"Cute aza"

I giggled and then giggled more at the people who would be confused by it.