Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
DHar35
Casting On

Fashion Cable Knit Bag
Hello everyone,

I have begun to knit a cable knit bag and don't understand the instructions for row two of the Panel Patern. The first row contains knit and purl stictches as well as T5B. The second row directions say "knit all knit stitches and purl all purl stitches as they appear". Does that mean that when you begin your second row, that what was a knit on row one a purl, or do you just do row one again? Thanks for your help.
DHar35 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
efooey
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Skype™ to efooey
It depends on whether you are using strait needles or cable

if strait: do the opposite, if cable: do the same

I'm assuming it's on strait so I'll explain, when you pull the stitch off the needle you leave a little hump behind you, if you are doing a knit stitch, the "hump" is on the back and with purl, the "hump" is on the front. You want to do the stitches to match so keep the "hump" on the front or back

HTH!
E
efooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
DHar35
Casting On

Thanks for your prompt response. I will take a look to see if I understand. I am using both cable and strait needles for this pattern. Has anyone seen the pattern for the purse I am speaking of? It is one of the free patterns picked up at a craft store.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by DHar35 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have begun to knit a cable knit bag and don't understand the instructions for row two of the Panel Patern. The first row contains knit and purl stictches as well as T5B. The second row directions say "knit all knit stitches and purl all purl stitches as they appear". Does that mean that when you begin your second row, that what was a knit on row one a purl, or do you just do row one again? Thanks for your help.
If I'm not mistaken this means: The knit stitches are the "V" shaped stitches and the purl stitches are the "bumps". (At least that's how I identify them.) When you get the "V"'s on the needle, knit them. When you get to the "bumps" on the needle, purl them. Does that make sense?

And yes, I think what was a knit on one row will appear to be a "bump" on the next row and so you will purl it.
mrslevite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
MaleKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

some people are confused by this, but I find that this has helped a few people understand the mechanics of knit and purl stitches
WAY back in the past, they used to call purl stitches "reverse stitches" because they are the same as a knit stitch only reversed. So, the back of a purl stitch is a knit stitch and the back of a knit stitch is a purl stitch. Knitting is just a series of interlocking loops, it just depends on if the stitch is pulled through the front or the back of a loop to make a bump(purl) or a V(knit).

When it says to work stitches as they appear, you just work in stockinette for that particular collumn of stitches (knit the V's and purl the bumps)
Understand?
I hope that made it clear.
some people hear that and just go "OOOOH"
and others look at my like i'm crazy
MaleKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
DHar35
Casting On

I will let you know- I started over last night, got to the point of starting the pattern again, so hopefully I wil get a chance to check it out tonight. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Sounds interesting. Is this a free pattern which you can share a link?
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
sarabelle777
Casting On

Fashion Cable Knit Bag Pattern
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/p...heet?pid=25345
sarabelle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #9
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
This is all good advice, and it is CRUCIAL to be able to recognize your stitches, but recognizing what's a 'bump' and what's a 'v' is kindof hard once the v's get stretched out by cabling ! Just take it slow and steady ! If in doubt, turn the work around and trace back what you did on the previous row and do the opposite.

I just finished the third repeat of the 12 row panels and am making myself do one per night ! This thing will work your forearms ! And I think I'm going to add one more repeat on top of the six they ask for.........it seems to be coming out much too wide for how short 3 repeats per side gets ya'.

I just started another thread about this bag, because I couldn't find anything in about it in a search for 'knitted cable purse'. Guess that's because it's called a bag, not a purse !
Attached Images:

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
...dotty... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Mayday
Ribbing the Cuff

dotty~ I just wrote to you on the other thread about this bag. check it out!

Dhar35~ Did you finish this one?

Mayday

OTN: Monica tank for daughter
Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote