Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
astonh
Turning the Heel

Chart or Written Instructions?
I'm doing my own pattern (shoot me now) for a friend and was curious what is preferred by most of you. Is it better/preferred to send the item (using a somewhat unique stitch repeat, but not hard) via a chart for the row to row stitch instructions OR should I write it out for each row (i.e. k3, SSK, k5, YO, k1, YO, k5, k2tog, k3...okay, so that isn't my actual stitches but you get the idea).

(I'm currently knitting it from charts I made and it doesn't bug me much but I DO have 3+ pieces of paper floating around me at any given time.)

Thank you guys for your input. Oh and also, this pattern changes (at least for a while) due to adding stitches for a raglan sleeve, if that makes a diff.

Thanks again!

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry

Last edited by astonh : 09-19-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added clarification, or at least I think it is clarification
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
LauraD
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via ICQ to LauraD
Personally, I like written instructions. I even put my instructions in Excel and do each row after for example "All Even Rows K".

FO: Manos Scarf for ME!, Scarf for dd, 4 preemie hats, Mmmm Scarf for SIL, Caliometry for SIL

OTN:Afghan for MIL, Afghan for Dad, A dozen preemie hats for my local hospital, leg warmers for bff!

WestLakeWife on Ravelry!

http://westlakewife.blogspot.com/

LauraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
stirsmommy
Turning the Heel

Well for me although I have figured out how to read a chart I often write my self notes for each row. I haven't yet picked up the look at the chart and make it happen. When I have the chart first I have to blow it up so I can see it and then if it isn't an easy repeat I will take notes. It just makes it easier for me. Maybe after years of charts I will automatically know how many squares are sitting there with out stopping to count but for now this is what I am stuck with doing.
OTN: Wonderful Wallaby for dd(on hold)
Pigeldy done but needs to be seamed and felted
scarf
Thorne market bag
Clogs (to replace shawls)
Christmas Stocking
In line to be cast on:Clogs (2 more pair)
scarf for ds
cat scarf for ds#2
2 booga bags
stirsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
astonh
Turning the Heel

LOL... that is what I have to do as well ("Ok. Now I've gotta knit...1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Ok")

Thanks for you guys' input. I think I'll go ahead and write this bad boy out in written form for my friend so as to HOPEFULLY make it a little easier to follow. (Maybe easier for me as well.)

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Sometimes if I am working on a complicated pattern I will write out a few rows if there is only a chart. It's not that hard to do. It's really a toss up for me. If the pattern has lots of complicated instructions that are easy to get jumbled I like to have both. Simply repeating patterns are easy to read on a chart, though. I appreciate the designer who recognizes that people like both ways and will offer both as an option.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

I agree - written directions. Charts get me dislexic (sp?) in a hurry! Not to mention cross-eyed.
Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Jints
Turning the Heel

Usually written, but for some things like fancy cables and simple geometric lace/eyelet, a chart can be good.
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Personally, I love charts. I'll chart a written pattern just to make it easier for me to follow.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
KnittingCommuter
Ribbing the Cuff

I like the written instructions for backup when I start the pattern. Have to admit though after a few rows, I don't look at them again. Guess it's a security blanket thing for me.
KnittingCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Cougar1
Ribbing the Cuff

I have to have written directions. If I find a pattern I like the look of and it has a chart I will sit and write it out even though it takes me a long time to mess with it. When companies put out their patterns they need to take older people into consideration who have a hard enough time seeing as it is, and those tiny little charts are no help LOL
Cougar1 is offline   Reply With Quote