Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
diannab
Casting On

Working in the round
Okay... I am dense... LOL Now that I have figured out how to bind off completely (that last stitch was killing me!) thanks to PurlyGyrl!!! HEhee I want to work on circs now I want to make my neice (sp?) a hat She is 3 Any free patterns? (first question) LOL And my main question---

How do I work in the round??? I understand I cast on my stitches, but then what? I have watched the video but am still slightly confused...When working in the round do you still need two circs? Can I use just circs or do I need dpns? I have 2 dpns but not for. So could I use both? Or just go buy a new set...? LOL Thanks for all the help! BTW I LOVE THIS FORUM!@!!!!!

Last edited by diannab : 09-20-2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: change direction of question....
diannab is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If your dpns and circ are the same size you could do it with them. CO your sts on one of the dpns, put half your stitches on the other and use the circular as an extra long dpn. You'll need to slide the sts to the other end, of course. You would CO about 18" worth of stitches, you want to make it just slightly smaller than her head measurement.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Diamond
Ribbing the Cuff

I suggest you buy one circular needle and learn the magic loop method first.

Later on, learn the DPN method, because you know aleast the concept of the round using the magic loop and then learn the 2 circular needle method. This helped me.

At that point, you can decide which method you prefer to use.
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Diamond
Ribbing the Cuff

I forgot to mention, the one thing that may confuse you is that Amy's demonstration is showing continental knitting.

I am a english knitter. I suggest you watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtBSmxGomPk
if you are a english knitter?
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 AM   #5
redwitch
Working the Gusset

You can use DPNs, or a circ normally, or a circ Magic Loop, or two circs. If you use a circ normally, you will reach a point where the hat is getting smaller at the top, and you will need to switch to a smaller method like ML, or to DPNs. I'd stick with DPNs or a circ normally for now, but it is up to you what you think you can handle. You will get lots of helpful information if you Google to find how each of these techniques is used.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote