Old 11-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
JoshuaBaldwin
Casting On

I am having this same problem.
I just learned to knit using YouTube. I have to agree that Knit and Purl look exactly the same! My goal was to do one ball of yarn in Knit stitch and one ball of yarn in Purl. My confusion is that they do look the same. I don't see any difference in the stitches. Does the difference only display when you Stockinette or Ribbing?

Also, I am having problems getting the correction tension now that I am purling. I moved up to continental method for the knit stitch, and since I am just starting to practice purl, I am throwing the stitches. My tension is just lacking and I don't know how to fix that.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Josh:happy
JoshuaBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
Hi and welcome to KH and to knitting!
If you knit all the rows or purl all the rows, you make a garter stitch fabric which looks the same on both sides. Either way you'll produce the same end result.
As you say, if you do stockinette or ribbing you'll see the difference between the knit side and the purl side. For these stitch patterns, you're knitting on one side and purling on the other side (or alternating knits and purls).
Even tension is something that comes with practice for both knit and purl stitches. Trying several methods is a good idea that will help you find a method that is comfortable for you. It may be a combination of purling by one method and knitting by another. It sounds like you're well on your way, trying new things and playing around with the stitches. Enjoy learning and practicing!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There's sort of only one stitch in knitting - the back of a knit stitch is a purl, the back of a purl is a knit. They're made differently depending on which side you work from. You won't see a difference in the stitches until you alternate a row of knits with a row of purls and that will make stockinette stitch. Or ribbing which is mixing knit and purl stitches on the same row.

The right tension for you comes with practice and even if it's a little off at first, when you wash the items, the stitches will even out a lot.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote