Old 09-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
jeanius80
Instepping Out

business ideas help
my sister has always wanted to run her own business and is planning on taking some classes at the local cc. her idea is to open a bakery/cafe with room to sit, hang out, read, knit, whatever. it would be ran by her and her two sisters (i'm one of them ) any ideas for cute names? or ideas for the cafe? she is thinking of hosting knit nights, scrapbook nights, ect. right now nothing is on paper, but anything would be great!

also, any tips on how to go about getting loans or space or supplies?
TIA
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I have no clue about loans and such, but that is a cool idea!

Let's see... Hobby Cafe? Don't know..I'm not good with names.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
letah75
Working the Gusset

Cafe con Crafts?

Crafty Coffee?

She could have knit covers on all of the chairs, and all of the table tops could be made up to look like scrap book pages (laqured over).

She could have KH videos playing on t.v.'s mounted all over the room. Or have drop boxes so that knitters and crocheters could drop their swatches off and sew the swatches together and donate lap blankets to local charities.

Sponsor an adopt a grandparent night and have bingo for the grandparents and the adopters.

She could give away yarn if people guess how many coffee beans are in a jar.

Really I'm no help, just kidding around.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to letah75 For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (09-24-2007)
Old 09-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
jeanius80
Instepping Out

actualy letah, some of those are great ideas! i like the 'scrapbook' tables, and the donation boxes, and the adopt a grandparent thing.... hmmm.

not sure about knitted seat covers! they'd leave that to me since niether of them knit, yikes!

crafty cafe?
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
Alright... coffee is stored in a carafe right? What about Carafte? "Cah-rahft" Yep. Lame. Just what I thought. lol. But it'd make for a great logo... think... coffee carafe with knitting needles sticking out of it :D
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Riss..that's not a stupid idea at all, that's actually a top notch idea! Especially if the design logo was cleverly done emphasising the coffee in the craft.

I think you ladies should see a business planner of some sort. Perhaps ask for a bank recommendation so you can avoid the con men and do this to ensure you cover insurance and are really aware of shop/business lease arrangements and obligations. You will generally lease via a real estate agency with a commercial portfolio but the fine print in business obligations - often requiring to lease for three years whether you end the business or not, or find it not profitable or not etc. - needs a practiced party to ensure at the beginning of this venture you are in safe hands and are not, for example, potentially risking your homes if something untoward in the business happens. You want to know for example if you are covered in the business for all forms of child accident. Should a parent spill hot coffee on their child, can YOU be sued and so on..
jeanius80 (09-25-2007)