Old 09-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
rissa
Knitting the Flap

Dyeing for Christmas! Photo update
Ok, I'm beginning to wonder what dad and I got ourselves into. We always like creating presents for family members. Well...all total we have 18 scarves to knit, and possibly hats to match if we have time. We also got the nifty idea it'd be fun to dye our yarn! Which both of us have never done.

So...we spent about $170.00 on bare fingerweight yarn and jacquard dyes from knitpicks. We are planning on double stranding the yarn to make our scarves.

So now I have a bunch of undyed yarn, acid dyes, just bought myself 2 crockpots from the thrift store and some wooden forks. And I'm NERVOUS!! I need to get started on it, but ...UGH!! So intimidated, you have no idea!

A couple questions.

The yarn is in hanks, would you (excuse my newbishness) re-wind the hanks to make a bigger loop so that the dye can filter in thru the fibers better? I don't have a swift, was just planning on using my kitchen chairs.

Should I start out with one color on one hank or just dive right in and do several? I'm concerned since I'm double stranding the yarn that the two skeins will be so different and look strange together. Was considering using one thats a flat color and then maybe one that has several different shades.

I'm also scared of accidentally felting it. How likely is it that it'll felt on me if I'm careful to not agitate it?

On using several colors, I've seen some of your creations, and I love them! Any suggestions for picking out colorways?

Anyway, thanks in advance! Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nya on Ravelry

OTN: Cobblestone Sweater for dh
Hemlock Ring Throw for ME!

Last edited by rissa : 10-19-2007 at 12:03 AM.
rissa is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
MMario
Turning the Heel

I would *NOT* rewind the skiens before dyeing - soak them thoroughly, yes, but not rewind.

they are a good, standard, size as you recieved them.

Since you are going to double strand I would suggest dyeing the yarns in pairs; solid for one hank and perhaps two complementary colours for the other. oR SHADES OFthe first colour.

But I like subtle
MMario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MMario For This Useful Post:
rissa (09-21-2007)
Old 09-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
stirsmommy
Turning the Heel

Hmm...dying. Hadn't thought of that yet but it would solve my problem. I am creating feather and fan wraps for the moms but I really would like something other than a solid color but my mother needs something neutral as she wears such wild colors. I think I will wait and see how you like it before I run off and do it myself it sounds scary.
OTN: Wonderful Wallaby for dd(on hold)
Pigeldy done but needs to be seamed and felted
scarf
Thorne market bag
Clogs (to replace shawls)
Christmas Stocking
In line to be cast on:Clogs (2 more pair)
scarf for ds
cat scarf for ds#2
2 booga bags
stirsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stirsmommy For This Useful Post:
rissa (09-21-2007)
Old 09-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
rissa
Knitting the Flap

I am working on my first dyeing experience! I decided to just jump in and do it, which is so not me! I used 1 teasp. of sapphire blue from the jacquard acid dyes. Decided to just try one color at first. I'm thinking I might try to do 2 lighter shades of this color on one yarn tomorrow and see if holding that together will produce a nice colorway.

I took a pic of the yarn in the crock! I've never posted a pic before, so I might have to enlist my dh's help to do so later! Man, I'm all nervous and giddy inside! lol..you'd think I was 4 years old and all excited about the cookies coming outta the oven!

Nya on Ravelry

Old 09-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

I can't wait to see how it turned out!!

Since you'll be using 2 strands in knitting, another suggestion for dyeing is splattering or spotting your 2nd skein.

With the skein tied in at least 8 places, lay it out on the counter (with plenty of old towels/newspapers/cardboard to protect your counter!).

Then spot the skein in various places using one or more colors. make the spots small (no larger than 1 inch). It gives a really cool effect!

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mullerslanefarm For This Useful Post:
rissa (09-21-2007)
Old 09-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
rissa
Knitting the Flap

My instructions for dyeing in the crockpot says to put it on low for 2-4 hours. Its been about an hour so far and its looking like the dye has exhausted already! I'm going to at least wait the 2 hours tho, want to make sure its all set.

I have a porcelain sink...should I be concerned about rinsing it in the sink? Will it stain? I'm particularly concerned as we rent. Thanks for the help and encouragement!

Nya on Ravelry

Old 09-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
MMario
Turning the Heel

depending on the age of your sink - it might. what about at least starting to rinse it in your second crockpot (which you can pour directly nto the drain) and see how much colour "bleeds" then rinsing in the sink?
MMario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MMario For This Useful Post:
rissa (09-21-2007)
Old 09-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
rissa
Knitting the Flap

Oh thats a very good idea! thanks!

Nya on Ravelry

Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
rissa
Knitting the Flap

Thought I would post a couple of pics of some of the yarn I have dyed. I have dyed about 14 hanks so far. This is only 4, I'll post more when I can. I have to say, this has been a ton of fun!

Nya on Ravelry

Old 10-19-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
stirsmommy
Turning the Heel

Those came out really well. I can;t wait to see more!
OTN: Wonderful Wallaby for dd(on hold)
Pigeldy done but needs to be seamed and felted
scarf
Thorne market bag
Clogs (to replace shawls)
Christmas Stocking
In line to be cast on:Clogs (2 more pair)
scarf for ds
cat scarf for ds#2
2 booga bags
stirsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote