Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Socks on 2 circulars...heel turn question
I'm making this pattern and I have a question.

I've made it (more or less)through the heel flap, heel turn, and gusset, and am now heading down to the toe. However, I know I messed up and want to try to figure out my mistakes for the next one.

First, after my heel turn it says, "The last row should be right side now." Should I be holding the sock looking at the outside back of the heel? (as opposed to looking into the "cup" of the heel?

And when it says "Pick up and knit...12 stitches from the right edge of the heel flap" is that the right edge as you'd wear the sock? (because that is where I think I messed up...I seemed to have been backwards at my picking up).

I think what may have happened is that when I frogged the initial attempt at the heel turn I may have gone back one two too many, putting me at the wrong side when I started, thus turning me backwards somewhere along the line.

I improvised a bit by flipping it inside out and knitting the rest of a round and switching one loop to get it going in the right direction....but my "technique" obviously need to improve before I do the next one!

Oh...the actual problem I ended up with was when I had picked up the heel flap stitches and had what I needed on the first needle, I couldn't figure out how to go the rest of the way with knitting across the top on the other needle. It appeared I was at the wrong end of the needle (working yarn in wrong hand). And there's a ridge where the stitches were picked up, as if I picked them up "inside out" (which I apparently did).

If you've stuck with me this far and I haven't totally confused you---any ideas???
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
krazy4kats
Knitting the Flap

You should be looking at the outside of the back of the heel.

As for picking up, you should be doing that along the side of the heel that is where you're at after you finish turning, where your working yarn is - which would be the right side if you're wearing the sock but the left side as you're looking at it (isn't this awful, I'm having a terrible time picturing it although I do my socks on 2 circs all the time, LOL).

After you pick up those 12 st, you'll work across the instep (all those st that were just dangling on the second needle while you did the heel flap and turn) and then pick up the other 12 st on the other side of the heel flap and then continue on.

There is always a slight ridge when you pick up st, it should be more pronounced on the back side of where you pick up. The front side will have a little depression where the picked up stitches start.

"The cat has too much spirit to have no heart." -- Ernest Menaul
krazy4kats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krazy4kats For This Useful Post:
Lisa R. (09-23-2007)
Old 09-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Yes, once you've done the heel flap and you've worked across the turning part, where you decreased your way to the edge... you should hold your sock so the outside is facing you. Doesn't matter if it's upside down or rightside down, you need to pick up the stitches from the turned section along the heel flap with the right side facing you, the knitted side not the purled inside.

Your yarn from the final stitch is at one edge or the other of the heel flap. If the next stitch you pick up means you have to turn the wrong side, the inner side, towards you - then pull a fudge-a-doodle and knit one final row across the heel-turning portion. Then start picking up stitches along that side of your heel flap.

Hope this helps,
Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Quote:
If the next stitch you pick up means you have to turn the wrong side, the inner side, towards you - then pull a fudge-a-doodle and knit one final row across the heel-turning portion. Then start picking up stitches along that side of your heel flap.
That's exactly what I was wondering. Amazing that you figured it out! :-D

I finished the first one, with all it's little quirks, and am hoping for a slightly mis-matched pair as I do the second one more accurately!
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote