Old 09-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
rrshane
Casting On

beginner needs help picking yarn for scarf
Hello, I'm a new knitter. I want to knit a scarf approximately 12"x62" for my girlfriend using a medium weight yarn and a simple garter stitch pattern. Wool causes her to itch. I don't have any good yarn stores near me, so I have been searching online for other types yarns. I am getting overwhelmed and confused by all the options.

What other materials and/or blends would be a good substitute for wool? I'd like to find something that will feel really soft around the neck and be warm in the winter.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

-Robert
rrshane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rrshane For This Useful Post:
DorothyDot (09-23-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There are a lot of soft acrylics now, and they're also very warm. Try Caron Simply soft, Bernat Satin, RH Soft and the TLC line of yarns. If there's a Hobby Lobby near you, their Baby Delight yarn is very soft and has a few colors that are not baby pastel.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
rrshane (09-24-2007)
Old 09-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Congrats on learning to knit! You are a true charmer.

As for yarns, yes - definitely head for the acrylics. They are washer-and-dryer approved. If at all possible, go to where they sell such yarns and feel them for yourself.

Garter stitch is an excellent choice. Be sure to make it wide enough that on the truly frigid days, she can wrap it around her mouth and nose to heat the air she breathes.

Here's a thought: knit one for her... and an identical one for you. How special would that be?

And pick a color that will go with her coat. If in doubt, a dark grey/black or a creamy ivory are usually good choices. Browns, blues, and greens can be not really compatible unless the coats are similiarly-colored. Red might be another compromise color to think about.

Good for you!
Dot

PS - if you use large-sized needles, the scarf will feel softer and poofier. Say like size 9 or 10, with knitting worsted weight [4-ply].

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
rrshane (09-24-2007)
Old 09-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Oh yes, definitely go with the larger needles; looser knits are much softer and cuddlier. Even if the label says 8/5mm, that's for densely knit sweaters and 10 or even 10 would be fine for a scarf.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
rrshane
Casting On

A million thanks, Sue! Your tips were exactly what I needed. I am trying out the Caron Simply Soft.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
rrshane
Casting On

Thanks for you tips on color and needle size. You helped me with issues that I hadn't forseen.