Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #21
Mommy22alyns
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MamaMer View Post
IBut I dread telling people it is another boy. We of course would love a daughter, but another boy is also very exciting!!

But sadly most people don't share in our gladness, they insist on giving me that "look"--the one that says "that is too many kids" or "too bad it isn't a girl, otherwise we would be happy for you"

It makes me sad sometimes :(

I got that right after having Sylvia, my youngest daughter. Literally, she was an infant and I was asked, "So, are you going to try for a boy now?" Like your family is incomplete with only one sex of children?

I have borne way too many insults as a teenager on the size of my boobs. Or lack thereof. Enough said there.

A girl I went to school with when I was about 11 or 12 was sitting next to me while we were practicing Christmas carols. I didn't even think I was singing badly, but she said something nasty about my attempt at singing. To this day, I refuse to sing in front of anyone but my girls. Until they get older.

The absolute, positive worst was MIL's reaction to how long it took Sylvia to walk. She was a month premature and we were lucky to have her at all. Five minutes and we might have lost her. Sylvia didn't walk until she was almost 18 months - right before the point where her doctor would have worried. From about 11 months on, every time we spoke to or saw MIL, we got a snippy, "Isn't she walking yet??" She actually said Sylvia was "lazy"!! When she did start walking, a family friend commented on it and MIL said, "At 18 months she should be walking better!" THAT did it. Do NOT mess with my kids!!

Knitting for baby - those little things fly off the needles!
Mommy22alyns is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I have a "friend" who I've known since my 13 yo ds was born. She has a son about a year younger than mine.

When my ds was born he wasn't tiny, but he was one of those little scrawny chicken legged babies -- he still barely has an ounce of fat on him. He was always small for his age but my ped said no problem, as long as he continues to grow and follow his own growth curve.

One day my "friend" came up to me and asked if anyone had ever told me that my son was a failure to thrive baby.

My jaw dropped on the floor but I pulled it together to tell her that my ped thought he was doing just fine, thank you.

Funny thing is that now my son is 5 feet tall (an inch shorter than me) and her 12 yo is the size of my 9 yo dd.

She probably should have kept her comments to herself.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #23
letah75
Working the Gusset

Oh the grandma thing...

Mine once patted me on the behind (in front of my ex-bf and all of my friends and family) and said "WELL, I guess you'll never have to take padding with you to a baseball game!"

She too was sane and just had no filters. I work with these three women, one has 6 boys, one has 9 children and one has 7 children. They constantly get asked if they are trying to repopulate the earth, etc. Most people are trying to joke with them, but one morning, the lady with 9 kids came to work steaming mad.

She was out with all of the kids (and her two grandkids), and someone came up to her, asked if all 11 were her's, and said "Don't you know the earth is overpopulated?!? My goodness, you must not care much for the environment. What is wrong with you?"

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #24
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I am shocked at all this lack of manners.

I was 2 mos pregnant with my second child and ended up with influenza which led to a 104+ temp and pneumonia. Someone had the gall to tell me my baby would probably be brain damaged from the high fever. What kind of person tells a pregnant mom that kind of thing!? I wish I could remember who it was so I could flaunt my gifted, high IQ daughter in their face. Sheesh!
Oh, Jan, how rude!

Some people really ought to put a sock in it.

Maybe we ought to have an avatar like that. A "foot in mouth" avatar.

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
Old 09-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #25
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by iza View Post
That makes me think of something my mom told me. I was born with a clubfoot, which is not a serious condition, but it was a bit hard on my parents since I was their first child. Well someone told my mom it was her fault I was born like this, she must have secretly wanted this to happen.

That is awful.

I hope your mom secretly wanted something to fall out of the sky and flatten that person.

--Elwood P. Dodd
Old 09-24-2007, 06:38 PM   #26
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
my MIL's friend once said this "mom really would like to have lots of grandchildren" my reply is "ya that would be lovely"...sure enough months later my B-I-L wife is pregnant...

buzz off ...i feel like using my bug spray...

people just treat u like ALIEN when you don't give birth like others... when will they get it eventually???
Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #27
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
I'll never forget...

Sometime during the first two weeks of 6th grade, i'd "blossomed". One of the guys i'd considered a "friend" in elementary school sauntered over to me in homeroom one morning and asked me, "Hey Chris... I was wondering if ahh.. *he looks down at my chest* if you uhh... had a tissue..?" UGH. I spent the rest of the morning crying in the nurses office. It isn't just adults that can be rude.

I worked at a dollar store while in college, just to keep me in commute money. Just about every day I worked there, people would come in wearing their chanel sunglasses and carrying their prada bags and ask me if everything really was only a dollar, and would i take a credit card for their $3 purchase. I'd kindly tell them that yes, everything really is a dollar and that no, there is a $7 limit on credit transactions. At this point, they'd look down there nose and me and tsk and get all grumpy with me as they took 5 minutes to write out a CHECK, and then be completely appauled as I ask them for ID, which 9 times out of 10, they never carried. :D

I swear, I'll never work retail again thanks to that place...

Then there was the usual... "Did you do your hair yourself?" and I'd always want to reply with a "No, I go to the salon to have them part my hair for me every morning!" but i'd just smile and tell them no, I draw the zig zag into it myself.

People... *shakes her head*
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #28
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MamaMer View Post
I am preggers with our 4th boy, and lemme tell you, not only did I dread telling people (especially family who sometimes can be the cruelest commentators on your life, as if being a blood relation gives them more of a right, but I digress...) that we were even having another child (yes-we planned it, yes we know what causes pregnancy and no we don't want to stop doing it, nope it was an accident or surprise, yes I know what birth control is, I just don't like what it does to healthy female bodies and to potential unborn babies, no I am not Catholic, and finally, yes I have my hands full, but luckily I sling my babies, so it isn't very often that they stay that way!)

But I dread telling people it is another boy. We of course would love a daughter, but another boy is also very exciting!! Psalm 127:3-5 is like my life's theme verse!

Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him. 4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.

But sadly most people don't share in our gladness, they insist on giving me that "look"--the one that says "that is too many kids" or "too bad it isn't a girl, otherwise we would be happy for you"

It makes me sad sometimes :(
I'm pregnant with my 3rd boy and get the same thing as you, though probably not as much! Mine are almost 5 and 2 1/2 and I'm glad they're close, would've been closer if I had it my way! Oh, and I was ecstatic when they told me it was another boy! I've got a house full of boy stuff and I'm so glad I don't have to deal with girly -girl clothes, shoes, ribbons, bows, PMS, etc.

I'm sick of everyone commenting on my waddle. It's always people who have never been, never will, or it's been so darn long they forgot, but come on! Try carrying an extra 20 pounds on your belly 24/7 and see if you can walk like a normal person!

Kelly
Old 09-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #29
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

Back in the late '80s I used to wear my hair in a little mohawk, and of course I got a lot of looks in certain places, including the local library, where I was working as a shelver. I didn't let the stares bother me too much, but one day a middle-aged man, maybe in his fifties, came right up to me, gave me a look of stern disapproval and said, "What did you do, stick your finger in a light socket?"

He thought he was being extremely witty, and of course at that instant I couldn't think of anything clever to say back to him -- that was the worst part! Later on that night I thought of about ten things, but of course by then it was too late.
cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #30
misha rf

About 5 years ago I was at an outdoor party. I was wearing my favorite blue floral print dress--it had an empire waist, so I could eat/drink to my heart's content. At the time, I was about a size 8. A guy I didn't know arrived at the party, walked up to me, rubbed my stomach and asked me when the baby was due!!!!!!!!! To which I replied, "I'm not pregnant; I'm just fat." (OK, I really wasn't, but it was all I could think of to say.) He was semi-embarrassed. I told my friend at the party, and he replied, "That fat f**k?! He's got a lot of nerve!!" And then he offered to beat the crap out of him for me. (I told him not to, but I appreciated the thought.)