Old 09-25-2007, 12:14 AM   #31
syndactylus
Turning the Heel

People used to ask me if I had cancer all the time.

A very lovely girl once broke it to me gently that only a pedophile could ever be attracted to me.

One guy asked me if he could bite my fingernails for me.
His little friend asked if I used a razor blade to part my hair. *Ok, I think they were both just freaks, but nonetheless.*

And one time in Germany an older couple asked if I was a Nazi, because my hair and doc laces were strawberry. I didn't quite grasp the logic, but the bravado (?) was impressive.

I sometimes like to think there is a cryogenic unit on the loose, randomly disabling people's inner monologues, all unawares to them...
syndactylus is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #32
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by syndactylus View Post
A very lovely girl once broke it to me gently that only a pedophile could ever be attracted to me.

One guy asked me if he could bite my fingernails for me.
First of all, that girl was nuts and second of all, the fingernail thing is just gross.

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjminarcik For This Useful Post:
syndactylus (09-26-2007)
Old 09-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #33
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

My MIL is the worst "commenter" I've ever known. It wasn't so bad when I didn't speak any Greek, but now that I know what she says, I really wish I didn't. I sincerely believe that she sits around and thinks up mean stuff to say to me. I still feel stunned and very often now I get a fast heartbeat when I know I have to see her.

Her favorite thing to do is get me in front of a bunch of people, like at some kind of get-together, and announce some horrible lie about me or the U.S. Of course, she'll settle for insulting me without the benefit of a bunch of strangers, too. Once we were having a family dinner and had invited a few friends, too. I made the lamb and she told everyone there not to eat it. Once she told everyone at a get-together that the reason Americans are all so fat is because we eat dogs. Once she told an assembled group that Americans don't put up tombstones. Once she told everyone that she has to do all the cooking for our (mine and my husband's) home because I won't do anything. Last week she got a big belly laugh out of the fact that my husband and I didn't get to go on the little trip we'd planned.

The latest from this week (and it's only Tuesday morning):

I was working on my mother's scarf and she told me I was wasting money by taking up knitting.

She came over the other evening and was watching some terrible 1/2 hour comedy show with a very overweight actress. She told me I looked just like the actress. (Yes, I need to lose weight but I am not that large)

She's just not normal. That's what I keep telling myself.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:51 AM   #34
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Well I guess we know why kids tease each other and say some really rude things to each other.

Why is it MIL are sooooo rude?Why aren't the husbands telling their mothers to not talk to their wife like that?

People always used to say to me "Why do you have so many dogs" or " Why do you let your dogs in the house,they belong outside".To which I would reply " I love dogs and they don't lie, cheat, or steal from you like most people do." They make great companions.They give you unconditional love.Unlike people do.People always want something in return. I let my dogs in the house because I want to and the next time somebody breaks in your house you'll wish you had a dog inside the house instead of tied up to his dog house.

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #35
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I got another one, from today's work day! Arrrgh!We don't have a dress code, usually women wear what in US is considered casual and men wear elegant shirts, no ties. The summer is very hot and so the codes are much more flexible (though no flip-flops were sighted). Today i'm going to my grandma after work, so i decided to dress up a bit. Put black pants, white top and a little jacket, black with thin white stripes, VERY elegant. Medium heels, a bit of make-up...Anyway, I look GOOD today... So our investment officer comes up to me and says "Oh, you look like prime minister's security...". I just looked at her and thought to myself :"And these shorts with high heels really make an ugly uglier..." I wish I could tell her that...
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #36
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by PurlyGyrl View Post
Sharly, I take it you WEREN'T wearing a Bama shirt!Just kidding.

I get the same reaction when I DON'T wear a UT Vols shirt on Fridays before the game (looks kinda stupid with a business suit so I don't)--rude comments from people in the Courthouse who are wearing UT shirts. Pooh on them!

And there is a special place in hel* for people who say "its only a cat" or "its only a dog", too--right next to the stupid people who make stupid comments like that!
Purly, you are right - not Bama! Though, I'm not a Bama hater (or, a UT hater for that matter ). All day long I had heard people telling me what an ugly shirt I had on. I usually take pride in the way I dress and by the end of the day, I had just had enough!! Pooh on them, indeed!!

And, some people just don't get it about pets, do they? But, why can't they just keep their pie holes shut??? Thanks for comiserating with me!!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #37
roseybee
1st Leg of the Journey

My first daycare kid was a full-term baby and he didn't walk until he was 17 months old. My son (a month younger than the daycare boy) walked at nine months. All kids are different. I have four, and sometimes I wonder if they're really related, since they are so different. Don't let anybody's comments about your kids get to you! Someday your DD may be in the Olympics, and that'll teach 'em!

OTN:
Wonderful Wallaby for Linus' 1st birthday (9/16)

Birchbark shawl (my own design) for my mom's 60th birthday (9/15)
At least one ever-present felted bag
roseybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #38
roseybee
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by MamaMer View Post
I am preggers with our 4th boy, and lemme tell you, not only did I dread telling people (especially family who sometimes can be the cruelest commentators on your life, as if being a blood relation gives them more of a right, but I digress...) that we were even having another child (yes-we planned it, yes we know what causes pregnancy and no we don't want to stop doing it, nope it was an accident or surprise, yes I know what birth control is, I just don't like what it does to healthy female bodies and to potential unborn babies, no I am not Catholic, and finally, yes I have my hands full, but luckily I sling my babies, so it isn't very often that they stay that way!)

But I dread telling people it is another boy. We of course would love a daughter, but another boy is also very exciting!! Psalm 127:3-5 is like my life's theme verse!

Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him. 4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.

But sadly most people don't share in our gladness, they insist on giving me that "look"--the one that says "that is too many kids" or "too bad it isn't a girl, otherwise we would be happy for you"

It makes me sad sometimes :(
I have four kids: two boys and two girls, in that order, so even though we don't have the gender issue comments from people, we still get the "don't you know what causes babies?" comment from perfect strangers -- even cashiers at stores!
My oldest was four when my youngest was born, so we also get comments on how close they all are in age. I think they're perfect, and don't understand why people feel their idea of good age gaps between kids should work for me. We said "when they come, they come" and we're thrilled with the little people we made.
I always wanted six kids, but financially it wasn't feasible, so my DH got a vasectomy. I had a really hard time with it, since I didn't feel our family was complete, and so people's comments implying we have too many children really make me mad.

OTN:

Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #39
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
When I was in 4th grade, there was this substitute teacher, Mr. Mooney that we would all dread having because he was so mean. One day I came in on a Monday and had a temporary tattoo of a flower on my cheek from a carnival I was at with my family the day before. Mr. Mooney looked at me and said “why would you put that ugly thing on your face?” I ran into the bathroom crying and scrubbed it off until me cheek was red. He was an older man who obviously didn't like his job but why would a teacher say that to a child?
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #40
roseybee
1st Leg of the Journey

I have stayed home with my kids since they were born, and have had a family daycare since my oldest was three months old. I started with just one daycare kid, and now it's gron into a real business for me. I'm soon to be licensed by the state as a group family daycare, with an assistant and up to 14 kids. I have a bona fide business, with a name on file with the county and IRS and everything. I have to have training and take classes in subjects from early childhood development to business management to child abuse recognition and reporting.
Somebody posted a comment on a website, not aimed at me in particular but all childcare providers: "Instead of complaining about how underpaid/underappreciated you are, get a real job, or better yet, get a degree"
Well, I have a bachelor's degree with a double major. I always wanted to be a mom and stay at home with my kids. That is my career, and my real job, and having a daycare is my way of getting paid to do what I love. Just because I take care of children does not mean I am uneducated or lazy. People entrust me with their children and infants, and that is one of the most important jobs of all.

OTN: