Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
kraafe22
Ribbing the Cuff

Bernat Alpaca? (Shedding Problem)
Has anyone used Bernat Alpaca Naturals? About a month or so ago I bought some because it was new at the store and it was very soft and I fell in love with the light pink color. I haven't started a project with it yet, but I did start a swatch and it shed like CRAZY!

I felt like I was going to be covered if I kept knitting! Anyone else experienced this extreme shedding? Does anyone know if I wash whatever I make it will stop it (not entirely I'm sure, but just a little? ) I was planning on knitting a Christmas gift with it, but I don't want to give to someone if it's going to shed all over them!

OTN
-A Scarf Askew, Basketweave Blanket, Hey Mickey Skirt, Cashmere Fingerless Mittens
FO
-Dickinson Pullover, Cabled Hat & Scarf, Animal Cracker Hat, Very Cropped Top Hoodie, A Scarf Askew #1
kraafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
cinnamon_girl
Knitting the Flap

kraafe22'
I bought that same exact yarn, color too. Peony right? It's very pretty and soft. It was intended for a Christmas gift scarf as well.

I've knit about 7-8 inches of the scarf but I've let it sit unfinished because I'm so discouraged with the shedding. I typically do the bulk of my knitting on my train commute to and from work and my pants were covered when I got there!!
And like you, I'm having second thoughts on giving someone something that's going to shed all over their coat.

I did read on someone's blog that they swatched with it and the shedding problem was diminished after they handwashed it. I haven't tried that myself. I'm considering just getting some Caron SS for the scarf, which is also reasonably priced and is washable. I don't want to spend alot of money on the yarn and the more I think about it I don't think the recipient will hand wash.

If you google search you may be able to find that blogger. If I can find it I'll post the link.
Good Luck.

suzygirl @

I'm Suzy Girl on the blog I share with my good friend Jenny Girl .. Come visit us!!
http://twocrazyknitchicks.blogspot.com/
cinnamon_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinnamon_girl For This Useful Post:
kraafe22 (09-27-2007)
Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Mski
Casting On

Hi kraafe22 -
Funny you should ask about Bernat Alpaca because I bought some about a week ago, made my swatch which shed all over, and returned the rest. It was awful.
Mski
Mski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mski For This Useful Post:
kraafe22 (09-27-2007)
Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
kraafe22
Ribbing the Cuff

I wish I could return it but I bought it too long ago. I didn't try it until recently though because I was finishing up some other projects.

I googled "bernat alpaca shedding" and I found that blog. Maybe I'll try that with a swatch and see how it goes. Otherwise I'll just be stuck with it I guess

OTN
-A Scarf Askew, Basketweave Blanket, Hey Mickey Skirt, Cashmere Fingerless Mittens
FO
-Dickinson Pullover, Cabled Hat & Scarf, Animal Cracker Hat, Very Cropped Top Hoodie, A Scarf Askew #1
kraafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
MellieThePooh
1st Leg of the Journey

I've had the same experience. I'm hoping that the shedding will reach the point where everything that's going to come out, has.
MellieThePooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Jadzia81
Casting On

I just recently saw the Bernat Naturals yarn when I stopped by Michaels. I'm going to give the cashmere blend a shot, it looked very nice.

But I was really unimpressed by the alpaca. It had more guard hairs that I have ever seen in any alpaca yarn, blend or 100%. I was very put off by that.
Jadzia81 is offline   Reply With Quote