Old 09-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
knitname
Casting On

What am I doing wrong with my circular needles?
Been knitting less than a year, so I'm sure the answer is obvious. I'm knitting my first afghan, and am trying to do it with circular needles. From everything I've read, I should be able to knit every row, and end up with stockinette stitch. That's what I've been doing, but I keep getting garter stitch!

What am I doing wrong? I hold the empty needle in my right hand, knit to the end of the row;switch the full needle to my left hand, hold the empty one in my right, and knit another row. Does the "knit every row = stockinette" rule work only if you're knitting in the round?
knitname is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
MMario
Turning the Heel

correct. If you are knitting back and forth knitting every row will give you garter stitch.
MMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
lauraknits
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by knitname View Post
Does the "knit every row = stockinette" rule work only if you're knitting in the round?
Yes! A knit stitch is a knit stitch on the right side. If you look at it on the wrong side, it is a purl stitch. And vice versa for the purls. So the reason you get stockinette knitting every stitch in the round is that you are always working on the right side. So if you are knitting flat, you have to turn your work and alternate right side/wrong side. Then, you are alternating the side on which your stitch looks like a knit. Does that make sense?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
knitname
Casting On

Yes that makes sense. Looks like I just made up my own knitting rule (insert eye-rolling emoticon) and ripped out a bunch of knitting because of it. Alas; live and learn.

Thanks!
knitname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
any day you don't learn someting is a day wasted

this is a good day for you

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote