Old 09-28-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
Pandora
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Pandora Send a message via MSN to Pandora
A "Knit-Person" and "Crochet-Person": Fact or Fiction?
I was sitting with my mother at Starbucks today, knitting away on my current WIP (a baby blanket), when she began telling me about her mother's knitting. Her mother knit, but never crocheted. My mother crocheted, but couldn't really get the hang of knitting. My grandmother on my father's side crochets, but does not knit.

I taught myself to crochet from books, but needed a teacher for knitting my first time out. After a lesson, though, I could knit just as well as I crocheted, and I've always seemed to have equal skill at both. Am I strange? Do most people do better at one or the other? And why? To me, the two are very similar, but they must have some important difference in the way the brain processes them, to make one or the other so challenging for a person.

I'm curious as to everyone's insights on this topic, and to find out how many out there are in the same boat as me--comfortable in both worlds.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
toomuch
Ribbing the Cuff

I hope to be in the same boat as you, but right now the two are very different to me. I'm a crocheter who's trying to learn to knit. My "knitting" is a mess. Holding two needles is not comfortable to me and the stitches can slip off and then I really don't know what to do. I'm not giving up though! I just set it aside and take up some crochet to calm and relax. How long have you knitted?
Julie
toomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
marykz
Working the Gusset

Personally, I like both crochet and knitting. each technique has strengths and weaknesses and both are important skills to have. I find crochet much easier to understand and manipuate; but the projects I want to make right now are knit. (for the record, I learned knitting first, but learned crochet faster)

I think people get a mental block when having to switch gears between the two. maybe it has to do with the muscle memory or rhythm you get in to with knitting, it isn't easily switched to the different rhythm and yarn handling of crochet.

Then there is the association of crochet with the weird stuff of the 70's and all the toilet paper covers in grandmas house. you often hear that knitters call crochet the "c word" as if it is less worthy. or only pick up a hook to fix dropped knit stitches.

most people I know either do one or the other 90% of the time. I don't know why really.... but I like both.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
tropicallie
Ribbing the Cuff

I have crocheted for 30 some years but have only been hand knitting for maybe 2 years. I just now am confident enough with knitting to try difficult patterns and find I really enjoy making lace. With crochet, there is no pattern that intimidates me but some knitting patterns still do. It's easier for me to memorize and visualize a stitch pattern in crochet than in knitting. I recently began knitting continental style and find I'm more comfortable holding the yarn in my left hand - probably due to my long crochet history.
tropicallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

I can crochet some, just never really got into it enough to learn or read all the stitches. I prefer knitting and have developed that fairly well. Mother crochets EVERYTHING!! She can work on the tiny hook with tiny thread for hours and days and does beautiful filigree tablecloths.... She's a tad disappointed with me and my knitting and gives me those "Family" looks when I tell her I'm working on a piece... she'll say, "What are you making it with?" When I tell her it's knitted she is so funny.... LOL!!!

I find that it is very helpful to know how to crochet and crocheting edges is very simple on my knitting work. I have made several crocheted afghans. I think that crocheting a piece from worsted takes alot less time to complete than knitting.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

I started with knitting back in the 60's - g'ma taught me (probably to keep me busy and out of her hair). Only knitted that one winter.

Took up crochet about 12 years ago - started with thread crochet.

Started spinning about 10 years ago and lusted after knit socks. I would spin skein after skein of sock weight yarn - crocheted socks just didn't do it for me.

I tried to teach myself knitting again, but couldn't get the hand of it, despite trying multiple 'learn to knit'. I knew I knitted continental.

I found this site (THANK YOU!) and realized that G'ma taught me combined continental.

I'm zipping right along now with both knitting and crocheting.

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

both
I like to do both. Crochet for some things is faster but I like the close texture knitting gives. Right know I am doing more knitting but have gotten into doilies and collars for crocheting.
I am taking a sock class for the next three Sat. and can't wait. I figure get the basics and I will be off and running.
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
remclave
1st Leg of the Journey

I switch between knit and crochet without any problems.

WIMs:
>Laphghan

OTNs:
>
Intarsia sweater; Toys for Tots 2009 toy baby blankets

FOs:
>
6 pr socks (includes Leaves in the Rain Socks); 1 pr baby socks; cradle cap shawl; 2 Aran jumpers; 3 washclothes; fingerless gloves for DD; 2 Forest Canopy Shawls; numerous baby blankets (Toys for Tots 2008); BSJ

OTHs:
>Filet panel; Carry-All bag; 2 Christening gowns;

CFOs
>Faux knitted handbag; Amigurumi owl, panda bear (no pattern); 2 Filet square doilies
remclave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #9
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
I taught myself to crochet from a book and then, a month after, taught myself to knit.

I enjoy doing both but have only, so far, earned money through my crochet when I crocheted up some items for a book, (someone else's design, the book is published) and I will be doing further work for the lady's next book too.

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
EssenceRose
Knitting the Flap

My step mother taught me how to crochet when I was just a kid... I was no older than 9 or 10 at the time. I fiddled with trying to make dish cloths and whatnot, but I never really got any further than that.

I attempted knitting several times over the course of a few years as well, but again -- I never really got very far.

Then one rainy day I was very very bored and decided to pick up the stitch n' bitch book. After that, I was away with knitting. I absolutely fell in love with it. I still remembered the basics of crochet and thought about trying to learn again, but it was way too intimidating for me.

Then a few months ago, I checked out the stitch n' bitch crochet book from the library. I don't know why, but those books make it so easy!! After reading that and practicing on small projects, I've fallen in love with crochet as well. It makes me wonder why on earth I waited so long to learn again!!

Right now I prefer crochet over knitting because it's faster, however I still like some things knitted rather than crocheted (such as socks, sweaters, etc).

On the hook! - Fan Bookmark Scarf , Friendship Doily, Fan Bookmark

Rantings of a Crazed Woman!

EssenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote