Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #31
cookworm
Working the Gusset

It's funny that you post this because I've wondered the same thing! The people that I know seem to do one or the other, not both. Seems like they can't get the hang of the other craft. My grandmother did tatting, crochet, cross stitch, embroidery, quilting, and sewed a bit (just about everything you can do with a needle! ), but admitted she just couldn't get the hang of knitting, using two needles instead of the one hook as in crochet, but her sister knitted beautifully! I learned how to crochet from my grandma about 25 years ago (just chain stitch and single crochet), and never really pursued anything with it because I wasn't really good at it. I learned how to knit 3 years ago at a class, and for me, the hardest part was figuring out how to maneuver yarn around two straight sticks (isn't the yarn going to fall off of those pointy ends instead of having a hook to grab it???) and I've been knitting ever since, but just recently, my friend and I decided we wanted to know how to crochet too (I think if a person is willing and able to learn both, it's great!), so we're going to classes. While it's all coming back to me fast, the crocheting to me seems a bit harder to me to get to look even, whereas my knitting seems to usually be pretty even (though maybe that took some time from the beginning and I'm not remembering that? ). So for me, maybe I will be a "one-or-the-other" yarnster, but I'm not giving up yet on crochet!

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #32
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

I can do both
I was taught how to crochet by my mom when I was a young girl. I enjoyed it. I made MANY afghans back then.

About four years ago when my dd had her first baby, a girl, I picked up knitting needles. I can do both but I do prefer to knit.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 AM   #33
speattle
Ribbing the Cuff

I can switch gears quickly. I learned to knit first when I was 6 and then learned Crochet in HS. Each has it's own unique charm.

Lately I have been knitting, but today have been crocheting the border on an afghan that is a birthday gift for my niece on the 25th.
speattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #34
kokum2
Casting On

I have been knitting and crocheting for years (to many to count ). I taught myself to do both from books that I had purchased. Once I understood the directions I was off and running........ less than a week for both crafts.

One thing that I had to consider was that I was left handed and that the majority of patterns and instructions were for learning right handed. MY SOLUTION was to learn to do it right handed BECAUSE it takes both hands to do knitting or crochet

It is awkward to learn either craft to start with no matter if you are right or left handed, so go with the majority and you will have less problems (no need to read patterns backwards or put up to a mirror like suggested in books if you are doing it left handed)
kokum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #35
monzogary
Knitting the Flap

I've been doing both for about 22 years now, and while I tend to knit more, I can crochet just about as well. I enjoy both, and I tend to use knit or crochet for certain types of projects respectively.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #36
Shelley
Casting On

I've crocheted here and there for years. It always just "comes" to me as far as ease. I can picture what I need to do and see where I'm going with a pattern.

I began my very first knitted project a week ago. It's a sweater for my nephew this Christmas.

I can see so many differences right from the start!

First...I like crocheting better in the sense that I can rip out mistakes and correct them much quicker and easier than with knitting.

Second...the first time I tried to hold two needles at once...I truly felt awkward and bumbling.

Third...it seems there are a kazillion different stitches and gadgets you need to knit...whereas, with crocheting...all you need is a hook and yarn.

But...even with all those reasons...I've got a real fire to master knitting.

Knitting produces such wonderful works with great "movement."

Knitting also makes me feel more accomplished as it takes a bit more brain power on my part.

And knitting, it seems, allows for a bit more refinement and option choice in finished products.

I'll always love crocheting...the ease...the speed...the delicate work...but I can see a love for knitting really washing over me.

It's just going to take a little practice.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #37
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

My grandmother could do both, but she did more crochet than she knitted. She tried to teach me both when I was a kid, but it was crochet that I got the hang of, but I could never get past doing the chain and when I would start the next row, my work always curled.

I've been trying to pick it up again, mostly at this point, to be able to do edgings for my knitted goods. I would like to do some crochet, but sometimes the motion aggravates my wonky wrist. I'm jonesing to do an afghan and most of the patterns I find are crochet patterns, so that would be nice, too.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #38
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

I can do both
I learned to crochet as a child. I enjoyed it. Made lots of aghans. Then recently I began knitting which I like MUCH better.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #39
SherKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

I just took a crochet class.....I am struggling...for some reason my brain/hands don't want to do it. I have been knitting for almost 3 years.
SherKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #40
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

My Mom taught me to crotchet when I was in the 3rd grade. I enjoy it quite a bit and am crotcheting a pair of crocadile scarves for the gran'boys currently.

Then I moved on to afghan stitches around 5th or 6th grade. I think it was Barbara Walker who called afghan crotchet the "bad marriage between knitting and crotchet"--I couldn't DISAGREE more!

Mom never learned to knit--used an afghan hook and 1 knitting needle. Someone saw my sister 'afgh-knitting' and showed her the proper way and of course she taught me (I was 18 or so, with a good-sized stash to my name already, and several crotcheted blankets and afghans and sweaters in my hope chest).

Like others have said, each has its own appeal and is well suited to different applications. Crotchet is faster, knitting drapes better and has an elegant look due to that, and afghan stitches--tho' slowest--are very sturdy and durable and dense.

BTW, I have a book called Victorian Crotchet (no longer in print but try to look it up on Amazon or get it through an interlibrary loan) that has some awesome crotchet and afghan stitches! The textures are incredible!

Last edited by CountryKitty : 11-06-2007 at 08:51 PM.
CountryKitty is offline   Reply With Quote