Old 11-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #41
boo1
Turning the Heel

I do both.....
A dear friend taught me to crochet about 15 years ago. I just started knitting recently. I find that crochet is much, much easier (esp. when it comes to correcting errors), but it makes my left hand ache, and I just think that knitting is more appealing to me. It was awkward at first, but it feels very natural now. I really love it, as long as I'm not making a mess!

I'll take both!
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #42
mhansen
Turning the Heel

I can knit and crochet. My grandmother taught me to knit and crochet. For years I just crocheted because it was easier than knitting. But just in this last year I took up knitting again and with no problem. I do incorporate crocheting into my knitting alot though. I like crocheted edgings better than knit edgings. Crochet patterns are easier to follow than knit patterns. I never had a counter until I took up knitting again.

I'm Knittingmary at Ravelry

If I live to be 200 I will never get all those patterns that I have knitted!
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #43
Ang_3_72
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Ang_3_72
I learned to knit by internet videos and a little help at church, but just couldn't get into it. The two needles just don't work well in my hands. My mother taught me to crochet when I was a kid and I hadn't done it for 20 something years. But I picked it back up and started again. I'm still just learning, but it's so much faster than knitting. Now if I could only figure out how to do the fancy stiches and how to read a pattern I'd be good.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #44
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

I've been crocheting for 20+ years, and only knitting for a couple weeks. But knitting is completely comfortable for me. I picked up a crochet hook last week and did a few small pieces... after a couple hours, my hook hand was aching. I don't get that with knitting. For something large, I'd probably rather crochet it, since it goes faster, but for small objects, I prefer knitting so far, since my hands don't hurt from it.
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #45
photolady

what I've learned from teaching
I have been teaching students of all ages, basic knitting skills, and a few advanced stitches.
What I've learned is, for some reason, knitters don't comprehend written instruction as well as hands on instruction. The most common complaint I hear from new students is: I've TRIED to learn from looking at books, but, I just don't get it!
But, as soon as I teach them how to knit, all of a sudden, the door of understanding is opened, and the student grasps the meaning of the diagrams, drawings, and instructions.
I LOVE to watch a person "open that door"! Its so rewarding to see students gain confidence and become eagerly interested in "what can I make next?"
I'm not sure if those who crochet have trouble understanding diagrams and written word, but, I know knitters do, at first.
I'm going to learn to crochet, as I can see how beneficial it will be for me as far as grasping a new concept, applying it to my skills, and using it to teach others.
I've heard crocheting is much easier than knitting. Must be true, based on the # of crocheters vs. knitters.
I LOVE knitting. I really do. It's exciting to learn new techniques, and to create designs of my own. I love the colors, the textures, the designs. It satisfies something deep inside my soul.
I read somewhere about different styles of learning, audio, visual, logical, spatial,kinetic, all that. I would guess successful knitters are the visual/spatial learners.
Signs of visual/spatial learners:
* sensitive to colours/pictures
* dislike listening for too long without seeing any pictures or images
* remember faces, building or any concrete things
* When reading, seek out or have interest in pictures or diagrams
* like to draw, build, design and create things
* like daydreaming, look at pictures/slides; good at imagining things
* like watching movies, reading maps, charts or diagrams
* prefer to use pictures or images to communicate their idea
* sensing changes about people’s appearance, things in his/her house/school
* like playing mazes/puzzles

This is me, to a "T". I do all of this, and have all my life.
Google learning styles, and see what you can discover about it.
The thing I was most grateful to discover about different learning styles was, I probably was not born with the ability to understand math, nor to even care about math, AND, depending on your strengths in learning styles, this will greatly affect your choices in hobbies.

I loved to knit, once someone showed me how.
I hope this helps you.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #46
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
I am a knitter. My Ohma taught me to crochet when I was 10, but I lost all crochet skills by my teenage years.. I learned to knit about a year ago in order to teach my Asperger's son to knit (to help his fine motor skills and help him to relax when anxious). I'm just starting to become interested in crochet again.. But for now I am definitely a knitter.

My MIL can knit and crochet, but is definitely a crocheter. My grandmother can knit and crochet and is a crocheter. I think that people who love creating can't just pick one outlet. They may prefer one more than another, but why pick one when you can enjoy knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilting, crafting, scrapbooking, card making, rubber stamping... That's my motto!

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #47
Joiann
Casting On

Knit vs Crochet
Hello All,

I have wondered this very thing for over 30 years. I believe that the answer may be like my experience with cooking. We all have our favorite recipes. Our success may be simply dependent on the ingredients we use.

1 cup of "love to try new things"
1 pinch of teacher (class, book, or web site)
1 hour of "me" time
1 (or more)http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/im...lies/heart.gif
loved one to shower with our creations
Yarn, Thread, Material to taste

Mix to perfection!

A recipe for success, be it crochet, knitting, bobbin lace, needle/shuttle tatting, sewing, quilting, or ________(fill in the blank)

JoAnnhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/smilies/knitting.gif
Joiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #48
HufflepuffRose
Ribbing the Cuff

My mother tried to teach me how to crochet granny squares one time a long time ago but I never learned how at that time. As far as knitting goes I taught myself from the lion brand website booklet and this website. I also taught myself to crochet from the booklet thing at lion brand also but my mother had to tell my to ch how ever many to make my project square.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #49
stacy.duval
Ribbing the Cuff

As a kid, I remember watching my Mother crochet, cross stitch, and make tatted lace. She made all kinds of beautiful things. Her side of the family crocheted as well. My father's side of the family was of the quilting persuasion. Of course I don't know how to go with the flow, so I started knitting, spinning, weaving, and making bobbin lace. I do know how to crochet reasonably well, but I typically limit it to edgings for my knitting or to fine thread lace. I enjoy it, but not as much as knitting. Maybe because I actually have to look at what I'm doing with crochet, whereas with knitting I can do it primarily by feel while watching tv, or talking.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #50
justsmi
Ribbing the Cuff

I learned to crochet when younger, have been crocheting for 20 yrs or so, tried to knit once years ago and gave up. I made it my new years resolution to learn to knit. i think knit items look so refined as opposed to crochet. I have noticed crochet goes much much faster though, but knitting uses much less yarn.
justsmi is offline   Reply With Quote