Old 09-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #21
newamy
Working the Gusset

Well, I'm sorry you are going through all this. I'm no expert but I think these things can help:They are practical and non-medicinal (and non hitting) approaches. 1) take a walk every day even if you don't feel like it. Think of it like taking medicine. 2) eat better- difficult to do in truck stops, but increase fruits and veggies, cut sugar, simple carbs, and alcohol. 3) Keep a journal as someone suggested. 4) and try to interact with pleasant people every day that make you feel happy and relaxed- in person. 5) Knit.

Good luck.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #22
jdee
Working the Gusset

I just want you to know that I battle depression, and have for a long time. Right now I'm in the middle of changing meds, so I've been emotional, and sometimes grumpy. And there's no real reason for it. My husband and I will be sitting on the couch, watching a tv show...just as normal and happy as can be, then all of a sudden, for no reason at all, I feel sad, and want to cry. My Dr told me that I may be bipolar, but I've never had a manic episode in my life, so I'm not sure I agree with that.

Anyway, I can't offer you any explanations or solutions to why you feel this way, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. Someone else knows exactly how you feel. If you're like me, it'll pass. It may take a day or two, but it WILL pass. Hang in there. Do some knitting, take a walk, buy some yarn...just do something just for you. something that makes you happy.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:30 AM   #23
LindaB2603
Casting On

I do believe that men have a harder time with depression than women do because they just don't feel they can express their feelings.

It helps to get it out. I hope it will help to know that although you are not personally with us we wish we could be there to offer a hug and a sincere wish of getting through this.

I have battled depression since childhood. Some days are worse than others. Medication has helped me tremendously to stay a bit more level--not such extreme lows. I hope you can find something to work for you.

Take care. Tomorrow hopefully will be a better day.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:43 AM   #24
jeanius80
Instepping Out

mason,
i hope you are feeling less alone. i know how you feel. i spend a better part of my day online, and mostly so i don't feel so alone. I don't have transportation, so meeting up with other knitters only happens once a week, and only if dh gets home early enough for me to go.
i get sad a lot for no reason. i am fairly certain it's mild depression. as soon as dd is weaned i am planning on seeing a doc. i just don't know if we can afford it.
often i just bury my face and scream into my pillow. hit it some, and calm myself down. sometimes i cry until i feel better. it's hard to deal with b/c i don't want my dd to see it and get scared. it doesn't happen everyday, and sometimes i can go a week or two w/o the build up. it all depends a lot on our financial stressors at the time.

anyhow. feel better!
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:59 AM   #25
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
First of all do NOT feel bad, silly, guilty or any other adjectives for posting this here! My belief is you feel what you feel and when you own up to it then you can start healing. We are all here for each other!

That said.. please to consider meds again. If one doesn't work you try another till you find one that works. Our chemistry is all different so what works for one person may not for another. I've also heard many, many times that physical activity is very helpful. Maybe something to do with endorphins? Whatever it is try taking a brisk walk once a day whenever possible. It can't hurt and it might help. And don't forget to come to your knitting buddies for a virtual hug when you can't get one for real.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:16 AM   #26
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I can't really say anything new, because everyone expressed my thoughts already, so i'll just give you a big hug !
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #27
thalia326
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting_Guy, first of all, I'd like to thank you...for a variety of reasons, really. I clicked on 'off-topic' because I was going to post a very similar post as you. I recently re-married and moved to England from Los Angeles- normally a good thing, right? Fresh start, new life...fantastic! The thing is, I am not working due to needing my spousal visa which has turned into a monstrous headache. I've always had a job, something to do which kept my mind from wandering and also gave me the opportunity to meet people...which leads to the next issue - few friends. I've always made friends at or through work so without that job, there haven't been too many friend opps. I've been trying for 3 months to get a knit group together but it seems there are no knitters near me (though I finally got a bite on a post I'd put on another website...yay!). With no job, I don't feel I have my own money and have always felt guilty spending someone else's. We do fine on my husband's salary but I like knowing I'm contributing financially. Adding to the above is that my husband works for an international airline and is away 3 1/2 days a week. Hardly all problems in most people's eyes but in my world it's been a hard blow as I've always worked and made my own way. So what do I get out of all of this? A mild depression, it would seem. I've been the same KG: sad for seemingly no reason, weepy (NOT to be confused with "wimpy"!), and just an overall feeling of "blah". Food doesn't taste as good as it should; I've felt reclusive because I don't want anyone to see me like this, especially when Weepy Dwarf comes to visit (I do wish he'd bring some Ben & Jerry's); I've been watching way too much tv, spending way too much time on the internet, and way too little time knitting; and worst of all, my husband is certainly being affected by all of this as it's not only food that doesn't excite me like it used to. It's not him, it's me (that does sound cheesy, doesn't it?) and deep down I think he knows that but it sure doesn't help his psyche much. Having my dog with me, especially when my husband is gone, has been very helpful but there ain't much conversation there.

Hopefully, the visa will be sorted this week and I'll be able to work soon, but I'm still down and feeling kinda helpless, to be honest. I had to fly BACK to LA to get the visa from the British embassy as they won't allow an expat to go the embassy in the UK to do it. Just adds to the whole ' I need my own money' thing.

I said all that to say this: Knitting_Guy, you are NOT a wimp because you feel the need to cry. We all, men included, have got to let that buildup go and sometimes a good cry is just what we need. The fact that you were man enough to express it on here was a huge step in moving past what you're feeling now. Don't feel bad about taking time from the knitting post - there must be a reason for the 'off topic' post in the first place and clearly some caring people who check it as well. I'm personally glad to have found it.

Seems as though there's a lot of support here. I'm happy that there's a go-to for knitting help where I actually get timely responses to questions I've posted, unlike another site I was using. And I'm especially happy to see how many caring and concerned folks there are when someone is having a problem, knitting related or not. Keep sharing your feelings KG, whether here or in a journal, as mentioned. I write a lot - I call it "brain vomit" because one way or another, it needs to come out.

Take care and know that we're all here for one another.

Oh, and thanks for letting me vent.

thalia326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #28
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Thanks everyone, a good night's sleep works wonders. I've had a bit of a bug for a few days and I think it was wearing me down.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #29
stirsmommy
Turning the Heel

Good I am glad the sleep help. I got on here to see how you were doing this morning. Take care of yourself today. Indulge if you can. Take a nap too if you aren't on a tight deadline.
OTN: Wonderful Wallaby for dd(on hold)
Pigeldy done but needs to be seamed and felted
scarf
Thorne market bag
Clogs (to replace shawls)
Christmas Stocking
In line to be cast on:Clogs (2 more pair)
scarf for ds
cat scarf for ds#2
2 booga bags
stirsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #30
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
BUY YARN!!!!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote