Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

My boyfriend is awesome. He says he loves ME, but he wants me to be happy and healthy so I'll be around a long time and he will support anything I decide to do. I'm lucky. and that's funny Angel, he just told me I need to take a multi vitamin.

I'm going to try and eat better, and not think I'm on a diet. If i do that it would be like a challenge. Eating better, choosing healthier things to eat and exercising sounds doable to me.
spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Prazzie
Ribbing the Cuff

My story, the short version:

Fell ill. Haven't exercised in five years. Been living off take-aways for two years. Overweight. No longer ill. Now too unfit to exercise. Started walking around the block. Did that twice. Lost my mind. Booked a canoe-trip last weekend (September 23rd). Went there. Got in the canoe. Canoe floated. ROWED 13 miles (21 km) to the cabin. Managed to get out of canoe. Died a little. ROWED 13 miles (21 km!) back to the start. Survived.

The lesson?

I sat in front of a pc for five years, eating KFC, burgers and pizza. I still managed to row all that way. Either I'm getting fitter while I type this, or we're built tougher than I thought.

Bad news is, now I have in the back of my mind "Hey, I rowed 42 friggin' kilometers last week, I burnt off this chocolate cake I'm about to eat!"

So now, you tell yourself "just do it" while I yell from this side "you can do it!" and keep us updated, because I'm not stopping here and I'd like to have a fellow-knitter on this journey with me.

Moving to a new apartment Wednesday, the place has a gym for residents. I'm so there!

Here is the one pic I could find of me in the canoe without my double chin showing:

And this is the sin I'm committing right now: (that's the forum on the monitor...)

I'll be strong. Tomorrow. All the best to you.

Last edited by Prazzie : 10-01-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: multiple personalities
Prazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prazzie For This Useful Post:
spectorkitty (10-01-2007)
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
traceleighj
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to traceleighj
I know how you feel. I was on WW real good for about 6 months. I lost 30 pounds. I was feeling good! DH was doing it, dropped out and now wants to have all sorts of bad food around. Not to mention, things are really stressful at work, one piece of chocolate won't hurt right?

The things I did to change (and that I am still doing) were easy. I use the salad plate i/o the dinner plate- less food but the plate looks full. I have a treat every night- Edy's (Dreyer's depending where you are) Slow Churned light ice cream (fills my sweet tooth desire) and I put it in a coffee mug- it's WAY smaller than my bowls. I make sure I eat breakfast, a morning snack (usually a granola bar), lunch (lean cuisine- the points are on the package) and a mini bag of popcorn in the afternoon. Then, I make sure to eat a good dinner. I cut out soda, most alcohol (have 1 glass of wine a week) and all other sweets.

I am back on full force today, and remember, the first week is HARD! I am always hungry! I drink water and chew gum- it works for me. Find what works for you.

I know it would be much easier to do with a friend, especially the exercise part....wish I had one here. Oh well, gotta start somewhere so I guess diet first, exercise second.

Good luck!
Sheldon Cooper: It's very simple. Scissors cuts paper. Paper covers rock. Rock crushes lizard. Lizard poisons Spock. Spock smashes scissors. Scissors decapitates lizard. Lizard eats paper. Paper disproves Spock. Spock vaporizes rock. And as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
I'm traceleighj on Ravelry.
traceleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to traceleighj For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
First, STAY AWAY FROM THE FAST FOOD! That stuff is the worst thing you can eat. Pack something healthy from home.

Change your snacking habits to something healthier like fruit, carrot sticks, etc. Personally I love dried fruits like apricots, bananas, dates, etc. for snacking.

The first three letters in diet is DIE. Never diet, just eat healthy and exercise, that's all you need.

If I had a forest behind my house I'd probably spend more time there than in the house

Get yourself a good hiking stick and go hiking in the woods. Believe me, a hiking stick can be a real life saver. I've hiked extensively all over the country, including the Appalachian trail. Once you get started you'll love it.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #15
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
At my unhealthiest point, I weighed in around 230 lbs. At 5'3", it was like carrying a piano on my shoulders all day long. My joints hurt all the time and one day my blood sugar got so low, that I crashed driving home from school. A few months later I was diagnosed with PCOS, which can lead to diabetes, cancer, heart disease, depression, blah blah blah. I'd had it for over a decade and didn't have a clue. I've lost about 60 lbs, gained 20 and am trying to shed off another 30 so that my insulin stops skyrocketing.

Start small. If you look at yourself and say that you need to loose 30 lbs and walk a few miles every day and eat super healthy and all that jazz, you probably won't do it.
Break down your long term goals into short term ones.

Put on some shoes and start walking. Walk for about half an hour, come back home. When you go grocery shopping, or to the mall, park as far away from the main entrance as you can. Use stairs instead of elevators.
Carry healthy snacks with you, specially if they're filling. They'll keep you from feeling cravings all the time. Drink lots of water.

I know this may sound bad, but stop weighing yourself often. Do it twice a month or something, or once. If you weigh yourself often and you see little change you'll feel depressed and have setbacks.
The Following User Says Thank You to DianaM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #16
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

you guys are awesome. I can't tell you how much better I feel. I don't know it seems like such an unsurmountable problem to me. I don't know why I feel like food is such an important part of my life. To me, food is love. Cooking and baking for my family is love to me, but there is such a thing as loving to death and I don't want to do that.

Thank you all so much, your words mean a lot to me. I don't have a lot of friends here in Vermont but now I feel like I have a lot of friends all over the place!
spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #17
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
I know what you mean about food being important in your life.
I pretty much grew up in the kitchen, with my Grandmother teaching me about mexican food. I even worked as a cook for a brief period.

Don't let your quest for weight loss make you feel bad about food. On the contrary, it's a challenge to conquer. Find the healhier versions of your favorite things and explore what sort of stuff can do you with it.
Like pasta? Try whole wheat pasta. Get creative with grilling and low-sodium marinades. Buy veggies - fresh or frozen - and think of all the dishes you can extra veggies to.
It's a whooooole new palette to play with, and you know what? It's both tasty and fun
The Following User Says Thank You to DianaM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #18
jamiejeans
Knitting the Flap

spectorkitty,
I hear what you are saying. I am at the exact same point, albeit likely for different reasons. I tell myself that at least I have reached a point of acknowledging the problem...I may not be totally ready to do anything about it, but I know what I need to do when I am.

I've also found that trying to change everything at once overwhelming and therefore not very successful. Maybe focusing on one thing and feeling good about that change after awhile will lead to taking on something else, etc etc.

Good luck!

Check out my neglected blog for finished objects and other humors:
www.squawkergirl.blogspot.com

My website: http://jamiejeanjewelry.com
MY ETSY:
http://jamiejeanjewelry.etsy.com
jamiejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamiejeans For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Don't equate healthy food with not tasting good. Healthy foods can taste as good or better than junk.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
spectorkitty (10-02-2007)
Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Tonight was baked chicken, broccoli and rice a roni. Ok, not that great. Night is my bad time. I always want to eat at night. Cereal sometimes, a cookie, etc.
That wasn't a bad dinner - baked chicken is better than fried, and at least you got a vegetable in there. You probably want to snack at night because you haven't eaten enough during the day. You need more for breakfast, a little midmorning snack, a better lunch and maybe a light snack in the aftenoon - depends on how late you eat. Or you could save the 2nd snack for after dinner, but make it healthier, like fruit. Maybe a couplathree times a week you can have a treat like lite ice cream, but only a couple Tablespoons.

Another thing to try is eat some protein every time you eat something - crackers or toast with cheese or peanut butter, meat/fish with a potato or veggies, cereal for breakfast with an egg on the side (or an egg/toast sandwich) and fruit and nuts together. Yogurt has some protein in it and makes a good snack, but watch out for high fructose corn syrup in it, so you may want to get a `Lite' one.

You probably get winded so easy from the smoking, so if you can cut down (not asking you to quit), that will help.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
spectorkitty (10-02-2007)