Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 PM   #21
syndactylus
Turning the Heel

I heard eating a portion of roughage (fiber? - plant cellulose) with everything helps you lose weight faster, because it fills up part of your stomach and keeps you from digesting part of whatever else you put in there.

and eating a little protein with every meal will fill you up faster and make sure you build muscles if you use them.

and everything raw is harder to digest, so it adds less calories because your body burns some just making it useable. plus it has more vitamins.

(maybe you know all this already.)

my new favorite snack is raw almonds and dried cranberries.

good luck, be healthy!

now is the perfect time of year for the woods, I'm jealous.
syndactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to syndactylus For This Useful Post:
spectorkitty (10-03-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #22
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

a friend is following the program Jill uses on the Biggest Loser..
she has lost 5 lbs since Fri... most is comon sense and cardio.. and some weight training.. walking with hand weights is an easy start...
Old 10-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #23
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

I just wanted to reply and let you know that you can do this! If you put your mind to it, you can do anything you want. It sounds like you have your b-friend's support and you definitely have us KH'ers for support as well.

I've always been "thinner", but had a serious bout with depression last year and was a lot less mobile. I gained about 20 lbs and had to go buy bigger clothes. I couldn't stand it, so I picked my favorite dress and made a commitment to fit into that dress by April 2007. I started "dieting" in January 2007 by doing the Slim-Fast program. I had a shake in the morning, a sensible lunch, and a shake at night. I switched to low/no-fat everything and started counting calories. It was amazing how the weight fell off, just by making a few healthier choices. I lost all 20 lbs and I fit into the dress. Another motivation was I hung the dress in my closet so I saw it every single day to remind myself of my goal. I have since gained a few lbs, but after making the healthier choices it is easy to stick with them now. Also, I would allow myself to "splurge" about every 2 wks or so. But if I hadn't been "good" for that 2 wks I didn't let myself splurge.

Exercise helped a lot too - walk your dog, walk the block, or go to the mall and walk around (I would go before the stores opened or I would be in trouble ). Even walking 20 mins a day can make a huge difference.

Choose what is best for you. Find a motivation. Stick to it. You CAN do it. And you have all of us here to help. Best of luck and let us know how you are doing!

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjminarcik For This Useful Post:
spectorkitty (10-02-2007)
Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 AM   #24
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you all! I signed up for Weight Watchers online, and plan to look around there for help.

I hurt my back pretty badly and was off work yesterday. I guess that's a hint to start exercising!

Thanks for all your support!
spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #25
newamy
Working the Gusset

Hi, I just saw you thread and I have another suggestion.

You are 37, so a part of your problem aside from weight could be hormonal changes of perimenopause-it can cause anxiety and depresession, mood swings-and weight gain. I have hormonal issues more than weight issues. I recently got this book from the library: http://www.amazon.com/Hormone-Surviv...1425662&sr=1-1
It is very helpful in terms of helping women see how their cycles are affecting them, why people in our age range gain weight. She has a strong emphasis on healthy diet and exercise, and I think her suggestions would fit in nicely with weight watcher guidelines. I started her 12 week diet plan - I did it to stop mood swings and PMS. Weight loss is not my goal. If I focus on that I will just get discouraged. I consider wt loss a pleasant side effect of better hormonal balance. The first month no PMS. 6 weeks into it I've lost 8 pounds- woohoo! I have more energy, feel better. Actually feel like exercising.

Lots of weight loss plans do not consider the specific needs of women, so this might be a helpful book for you.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newamy For This Useful Post:
spectorkitty (10-03-2007)
Old 10-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #26
LoAnnie
1st Leg of the Journey

Recent ex-smoker
I'm a recent ex-smoker, and I think (if your ready), cutting some of the smoking will help you exercise. Excercise can also help with quitting smoking. When you want a cigarette, jog in place for 5 minutes, or walk around the building a few times. It seems every time I start smoking again, I quit exercising. And the 20 minutes at a time exercise guideline is great, but if you can't do it, start with 5 minutes a few times a day. And cover up the clock, you can usually go longer if you're not watching the seconds go by. Just some sugestions that have helped me. I hope you are sucessful with this. Just take it one thing at a time, one day at a time.

LoAnnie

LoAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #27
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I joined WW three weeks ago and have lost over 11lbs so far, its a great program!! If like the online program and you have one near you I'd suggest going to a meeting...you can try one for free. It really helps to know you have to get on that scale every week and be held accountable. And if you get the monthly pass you can use the online etool for free! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my experience or anything!
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #28
bobi1218
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to bobi1218
I have about 20 lbs of baby weight to lose (and my 'baby' is 16 months old!). I know what you mean about feeling down and angry with yourself, I was absolutely disgusted with myself. We joined our community gym over the summer - its great for me, because they have a special kids' room that my kiddos love going to (I'm a SAHM), I get some alone time, and I get to exercise. But, I really like to exercise, so that's not a big deal.

I also recently started Weight Watchers, and its going really well so far. I've lost almost 5 lbs in just over 2 weeks, and it really opened my eyes to just how horribly I eat. I always thought I did pretty good, but I don't eat nearly enough fruits and veggies, and way too much sugar.

I would suggest trying WW again, the journaling really helps to point out your weak areas, and the accountability of the group meeting is unbeatable, at least for me. Good luck!

bobi1218 on Ravelry
bobi1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #29
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

I haven't been posting because I really did a number on my back, it is very painful. I'm going to physical therapy but boy it hurts. I did do well last night, I got out cereal about 9:30 but then thought I don't need that and put it back! Yay!
spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #30
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Sorry about your back, I hope you feel better! But it sounds like you're doing good. I think one of the hardest parts is when you have something you want to eat and you don't need it and just have to say no to yourself.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaydee For This Useful Post:
spectorkitty (10-08-2007)