Old 10-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

Round crochet
hi...
i've been searching all tutorial and only found 1 about this and this is for double crochet, while i need for sc...

i also tried many ways to crochet round shape and still, i have this on my projects: a seen-starting-line...it's ugly...

i wonder how to do this round crochet...

here's the question:

after you slip stitch the single crochets in one magic loop to form all sc into a circle and then make 1 chain, where should i put in the crochet hook? right on the very first stitch (under the chain) or the next stitch of that very first stitch?

i also counted that everytime i made let's say 6 stitch, after i did slip stitch to make circle, seems like there were 7 stitch now...it's confusing...

last time i crocheted, i did this (it's only one of many ways i've tried):
i put in my hook on the very first stitch under the chain i made then do sc as usual; i passed like one stitch (that mysteri additional 1 stitch) when i was about to join sc with slip stitch...so the count is right but i hate when i see the line...

i hope you really understand what i mean...i'm desperate here...i thought i tried every ways but that beginning-line still appears...help...

thanks

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
MMario
Turning the Heel

What I've always done is slip stitch the circle closed, then chain one, and make my next stitch in the SECOND stitch of the circle. The chain one forms your first stitch of the next round.
MMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
letah75
Working the Gusset

here is a tutorial that has pictures and worded instructions. I think it's very good.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to letah75 For This Useful Post:
larudden (10-06-2007), PamJ (10-03-2007)
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

ah, i used to do this way too...i thought exactly the same of what you think but...the line is still seen on my projects...i'll try again this way...i think i made mistake on the last stitch right before slip stitch...

does your project show 'line'-like every beginning of round? it's quite seen...

thanks!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
Is it absolutely essential that your project be worked in finished off rounds or can you just work in the round and continue spiraling instead of adding in that chain to get up to the next row? When i'm working on a project that requires the chain up, yet in the round... sometimes I'll try it both ways, seeing if working it continuously will work just as easily...

Since you're working in single crochets, it'll be easier to disguise the last stitch at the very end by just doing a slip stitch into the next one. There will be a little bit of a bump, but I'd take the bump over a very noticable line in my work anyday
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:46 AM   #6
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

hmm...
i think i'm going to try join the stitches with sc...and add one sc...i'm very curious...

i just saw a project (stitch style) in a web...the line is noticable...this case can be normal...
but i'm curious...
Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

The only way I've ever found (in almost 50 years of crocheting) to get rid of the line in round projects is to crochet in a spiral just like you knit in a spiral.

I mark the beginning of the round, crochet around adding increases just like the pattern calls for until I get around to the marker. The next stitch, the one in the stitch where the marker is, is the first stitch of the next round. It works whether you're crocheting flat or making a tube.

Can you share the pattern or a pic of a similar one? I could get a better idea of what you want to do.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #8
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Yarnlady View Post
The only way I've ever found (in almost 50 years of crocheting) to get rid of the line in round projects is to crochet in a spiral just like you knit in a spiral.

I mark the beginning of the round, crochet around adding increases just like the pattern calls for until I get around to the marker. The next stitch, the one in the stitch where the marker is, is the first stitch of the next round. It works whether you're crocheting flat or making a tube.

Can you share the pattern or a pic of a similar one? I could get a better idea of what you want to do.
whoaaaa???? 50 years of crocheting...i even just started a month ago...wow...

yes, i think i can share the picture...it's actually oval flat bottom of a small purse...i will take a picture and submit it here...wait a moment, please...

thanks
Old 10-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #9
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

i hope the pictures are quite clear...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	to knthlp forum CIMG0379.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	44276  Click image for larger version

Name:	flat bottom pattern.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	44277  
Old 10-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #10
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

the line i'm talking about is seen on the left side (if you can see the beginning of the yarn...)...it's not the 'small' line on the right side; it's the first chains line...that's not the problem...