Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
Night cramps in feet and legs..
I tend to be kind of private and don't talk about things like this, but this is driving me batty. I get cramps in my feet and lower legs frequently at night. I have to actually get out of bed and stand till the cramp releases.

Does anyone else? Any ideas?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I do as well...drives me crazy...I tend to have them for spells then they go away for a bit...I've been told to eat more bananas (potassium)..have a glass of OJ on the night stand and drink that to ease it... but I forget about the OJ cause I'm to busy trying to walk it out...also been told to stretch the leg muscles before I go to sleep...for some reason at my mom's house I will have them every night there ...I've been told it can mean you are dehydrated as well and drink more water...the dr has never seemed concerned over mine... When I was pregnant I would have them even more...I try to get out of bed quietly to walk it out, cause dh wants to massage it out... and that hurts even more

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
Pat in Ca

Jan.. I get them tooo!!! They also happen in the daytime.. I have to stretch out my calf muscle til they go away.. it really hurts.. I think they have increased since .. menopause... I think I read that menopause may make them more frequent. does that sound crazy?? .sometimes I worry they will never go away cause they last soo long..think I may mention it to my dr. next time..do guys get them? My hubby has never complained..said he doesn't get them..maybe it is hormonal, but that just sounds crazy..
Old 10-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yeah, the massage doesn't really work for some reason. I need to at least stand to have it release. I need to drink more OJ at night I guess to at least give it a try.

ETA: you were posting the same time I was, Pat. I don't think that's crazy at all. I think mine have increases since menopause, too. Huh.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 10-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,838 Posts
I've read that lack of calcium can cause leg cramps.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
schoen1605
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree about the calcium. There could be something to the old wives' tale about drinking (warm or just regular) milk to get a good night's sleep. (It helps me.)
schoen1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
Skater
Knitting the Flap

Try drinking a glass of tonic water (such as Canada Dry brand) before bed. I have restless leg syndrome, and it helps.
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Calcium used to help my DSD with menstrual cramps so I'll have to try that for my feet cramps. I drank a glass of OJ tonite and took a calcium pill. We'll see what happens, but it might take a bit to kick in I suppose.

Re tonic water: I tried that awhile back, but I don't know if it worked or not. These things are somewhat random so it's a little hard to tell sometimes. Worse lately though so that will be something to try again.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 AM   #9
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Here to Jan in fact it is 3:30 in the morning. I just got woken up with the cramps. I thought my ankle was going to break. It took a long time to get it to release.
I was using a prescription for them it was for quinine. Now they don't use it anymore,figures it really worked. So now I keep the heating pad at the ready and that helps me too. I guess there are a lot of us with the same problem. I can't take a lot of med because of my back. Taking had meds for that so I have to be very careful what I take over the counter. I hope you are feeling better and the leg cramps have eased.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #10
laptop_knitter
1st Leg of the Journey

My mother gets terrible night cramps and has been told it's because she has low blood pressure or sugar - she occassionally has a hypoglaecemic attack (crashing blood-suger). Maybe think about getting a blood test,might be something pressure related.
laptop_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote