Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
mari_13
1st Leg of the Journey

How Long Does it Take you to Knit a Baby Blanket?
I'm curious how long it takes you. My BFF is having twins and I'm making them tons of stuff but I started on a blanket and have already worked on it for 50+ hours and I'm only 1/3 of the way done. I'm discouraged because I know with my baby, I didn't have a preference for blankets. I just don't want to put tons of work into something to not be appreciated? I know she's super appreciative but I feel better about spending shorter time on smaller things like sweaters than something I'm so devoted to.

Anywho, in terms of days, weeks or months, how long does it typically take you to make a baby blanket? Do you make them for anyone or just special people? Thank you for your feedback!
mari_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's really relative to how fast a person can knit, what size needles and yarn and how large a blanket. Larger needles and heavier yarn will take less time than small needles and thin yarn.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
mari_13
1st Leg of the Journey

Is the average worsted weight and 10 1/2 needles? How about that for speed? Just for curiosity's sake .
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
lucky_alf2
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm a slow knitter so it takes me a long time to make a baby blanket. I tend to make small blankets these days (stroller or car seat size) -- 4 weeks was the quickest one I made and it was double stranded with large needles.

As for appreciate -- My daughters have received lots of blankets from mostly relatives -- some quilts and some knitted. We love them -- I used them when they were little and they love to snuggle with them now that they are older. I am also fortunate to have one handed down to me from when I was baby -- I treasure it and have already squirreled awhile of few of the baby blankets my girls got for their kids to get some day.

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
-- Pat Conroy

2008 FOs: Elegant Baby Blanket, Ripple Baby Blanket, 4 Charity Squares, 2 Oddball Premie Blankets
OTN: Another Charity Square
Next: cute teddy bear
Stash: Needs a recount
lucky_alf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

I've done tons of them with size 11s in a worsted weight with good results. Another option is using 13s and 2 strands. One of my favorites was made with two strands, size 13s, using Bernat Baby Boucle and Caron Simply Soft in a gorgeous light yellow, using the simple, diagonal pattern. That pattern is fast and usually done within 3-4 days. Of course, that depends completely on spare time to knit and it can take as long as 2 weeks.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
It's taking me FOREVER but I don't get to knit every day.

ETA: I'm using sport weight yarn and appropriate needles. My next baby blanket will be done with worsted weight or 2 sport weights held together and bigger needles.

Is your pattern difficult? The pattern I'm using is very simple. Very. It is a simple basketweave pattern, so I just placed my stitch markers for when the stitches should switch from knit to purl. I don't even have to keep the pattern with me. All I keep track of are the # of rows.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
I typically do baby blankets with worsted weight yarn and size US7 or US8 needles. If it's the only project I'm working on, I can get a 30" X 30" blanket done in about 2 weeks.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
letah75
Working the Gusset

I still have all the baby blankets that were made for me when I was a baby (I'm 32 next month), and I love them.

When I get sick I have my sick pillow (shaped like a lion someone made me as a baby) and my baby blankets, that I cuddle with. The BF thinks I'm a big baby, and makes fun of me, but I've caught him cuddling with MY blankets when he's not feeling good. According to him I'm a baby but they make him feel better, and it's just good medicine.

The blankets will be appreciated and loved for many, many years. Some day my babies will cuddle with the hideously colored (off white and florescent traffic cone orange) acrylic blankets that I love so much.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
bobi1218
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to bobi1218
My first baby blanket took just about a month, knitting an average of 2 hours a night. My current one is going much faster, I'm about a third of the way through it, and I've been working on it for a week.

I know with my kids, we treasured anything handmade, especially blankets. My son (he's almost 4) still keeps one that a friend of mine made before he was born

bobi1218 on Ravelry
bobi1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
mari_13
1st Leg of the Journey

Okay, thank you guys for the inspiration. It's only a 30x30 with a seed stitch border and basketweave middle. My first one for my son took 4 months! This one I've been working on for 2 weeks (2 days at 7 hours straight!) and still only 1/3 done. But I only have one best friend right? I guess I better suck it up.

Anyone else?