Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
thumb gusset ? fetching from knitty
hey there,

working on fetching from knitty and a little confused about this spot:

Using waste yarn, k7; slip these sts back to left needle and then K them again using working yarn; work in 4x1 rib as set

that part I get but here:

carefully remove waste yarn and place resulting live sts on 2 DPs; there will be 7 sts below the opening and 6 sts above

how can it be 6 when you k7? i know this pattern has been worked a zillion times so it's something I'm missing and not a problem with the pattern, but never done a thumb before. Could someone explain?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 AM   #2
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

I think it's because half of the stitches are effectively upside-down... you knit seven, and then seven on top, but when you remove the waste yarn you're taking from the top of one set of stitches and from the bottom of the other, thus:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ (seven stitches)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ (six stitches)

...the two half-stitches on either side of the six don't really affect the count, because they aren't full stitches and they're still attached on the other sides.

That's at least the way i'm interpreting it; I haven't tried knitting it out to see.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isabeau For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (10-14-2007)
Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I can't tell you why it works but yes, you do get 6 stitches above and 7 below.

And Isabeau's explanation sounds pretty good to me

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
rosefields
Knitting the Flap

OMG
I am working on the Fetching now (as we speak) and I had the same question in my head...Thanks for answering it!

Another reason I love frequenting this site...psychic knitters
rosefields is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rosefields For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2007, 01:43 AM   #5
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
thanks everyone! isabeau, you were exactly right, as the others mentioned, and perfect explanation, thank you!!!! i have to say i removed the waste yarn at the rate of 1 stitch every 4 minutes, i was terrified, but it worked out beautifully!

any trick to lessen the holiness of that while we're at it? I just did some creative weaving on the first one, finishing the second one now, but i am seeing more of these in my future, so just curious.

thanks again!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
stagebear
Knitting the Flap

i did pretty well on my first one, but adding on to the questions , does anyone have a pic of which stitches to pick up? i just did what i though looked best, but i think one of them was wrong.