Old 10-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Silver
Instepping Out

Who is IamtheWalter?
Who is this person? He is rather quiet except to tells us everything possible about fiber, dye, wool, yarn and spinning. He is like a fiber encyclopedia and seemingly knows everything about the craft.

Why, Walter, are you so smart? Are you secretly a big time famous fiber Guru? Do you have your own business? Or are you just a studious crafter with a gift for retaining information?

I love reading your educational posts and am always pleased with the depth and detail of your answers. I've learned a lot from you. But I have to wonder... where does all of your knowledge come from? Care to share a little bit about yourself?

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

I thought this same thing Kristen.

....... going home to look through my spinning book authors for the name of Walter .....

Who ever you are Walter, Thank You!

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
IamtheWalter
Ribbing the Cuff

Silver, while I am flattered, I hate to disappoint you by telling you that of the options you've given, it's only the latter that applies to me.

I actually was going to post to the "introduce yourself" thread since I've yet to do so, but I guess I'll introduce myself here.

I'm in my mid twenties and receive disability because of panic/anxiety issues, so I have alot of free time on my hands. A little over two years ago, my girlfriend taught me to crochet. She tried for about a year prior and I never really had much of a desire to learn, but this time we just recently moved from southern california to a new town, and this time I reluctantly decided to acquiesce since I had nothing better to do with my time. The fact that we get somewhat of a winter up here helped too, since I never understood the point of making warm scarves and hats if we couldn't wear them without seriously overheating.

I found that even though I wouldn't use what I was making, I enjoyed the process of crocheting: it was therapeutic for me, helped me alot with my anxiety issues, so I kept with it, then taught myself to knit about a few months later. I taught myself to spin on a spindle around February of last year and bought my wheel that July. I don't know when, but some time shortly after I learned on the spindle, I just got fixated on spinning. I started trying to spin with different fibers, and techniques and began reading all I could on the subject. Since my girlfriend crochets, the yarn was usually the end result for me, I spun the yarn and let her crochet with it. I have made hats, toys and scarves from my handspun, but so far that's about it.

I went to knitting help around the time I started knitting for the videos and started lurking the forums a little while after. I always seemed to find the answers to my questions by either searching the forum or googling, so I never posted. Sometime around June I looked in the spinning and dyeing forum and saw a few unanswered questions that I felt I could answer, so I did and that's how I started posting. I never intended to be mysterious or authoritative in any way, but I could see how I came across that way.
I guess since I don't have a knack for small talk in real life, I also don't have much of a knack for small talk online either.

The name I chose :"IamtheWalter" wasn't meant to imply that I'm a certain notable walter but rather is somewhat of an inside joke. Basically, I got tired of being asked certain questions about my disabilities/abilities that I really couldn't answer: why I could do this, but couldn't do that, and instead of just going "I don't know" started answering "because I'm walter" and somehow I eventually began being referred to as "the walter" and my answer then changed to "because I'm the walter".

It also reminds me of a certain beatles song (goo goo g'joob).

I currently own only one wheel, my single treadle, scotch tension, ashford traddy, but I have been shopping around for a second. Part of me wants a kromski symphony or polonaise but the rational side of my brain keeps telling me that I'd be better served by one of the folding wheels.

While I do scour, card, and spin from fleece sometimes, I mostly spin from prepared fiber.

I'm still saving up for a drum carder.

I was going to buy myself A pair of english combs a few months ago, but my better half happened to come into the computer room, took one look at the picture online and let out a big "NO!", so english combs are forbidden. I'm not happy with the decision, but since I am the clumsy type, I can't really blame her though.

I have yet to spin on a spindle wheel or try natural dyeing. Heh, one of the other times she let out a great big "NO!" was when she happened to walk in and glance at the computer monitor when I was looking at a page that described how to dye in an indigo urine vat.

When it comes to knitting, I've pretty much been doing scarves, pillows, hats and the occasional toy every once in a while, so maybe I'm at about advanced beginner. I just completed my first pair of socks and am definitely ready to make a second. I'm planning on spinning yarn for my third pair. I'm also looking into knitting lace and my first sweater (I don't want to give my first sweater as a gift, but I also hate wearing sweaters, so I've been stalling on this) so I'm pretty sure that once I start on those projects, I will begin to ask questions here, perhaps some very stupid ones.

So sorry to let you down but there you have it: I'm definitely not a fiber guru, and there's still alot out there I don't know, but I'm willing to share what I do know, and try to learn what I don't.
IamtheWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamtheWalter For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (10-14-2007), Silver (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
astonh
Turning the Heel

WOW... well, IMO, you "the Walter" ARE a guru and I'll look forward to continuing to learn from you. I'm trying to get up the guts to spin and/or dye some yarn but so far, just reading and trying to become a non-chicken.

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
mrs desert rain
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to mrs desert rain
Originally Posted by IamtheWalter View Post
Heh, one of the other times she let out a great big "NO!" was when she happened to walk in and glance at the computer monitor when I was looking at a page that described how to dye in an indigo urine vat.

"how to dye in an indigo urine vat." that totally made my day, for whatever reason.

welcome!

Free time? What free time?
More socks (Lorna's Laces, Baltic Sea)
Tie-Front Cardigan (p. 71 VOGUE Knitting, Holiday 06)
Rose Cardigan (VOGUE Knitting, Winter 07)

Recent FO's
Wicked Sweater
Socks and socks and socks
Calorimetries Galore
mrs desert rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Silver
Instepping Out

You are far from a "disappointment" Walter. It's just nice to hear about you since I love reading your posts so much. I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were authoritative, just very knowledgeable so I began to wonder just who was behind that screen name. Thank you for taking the time to enlighten us. You sound like a very interesting person.

And for your peace of mind, I have a pair of English Combs (that my dad made for me), and they're mighty scary, pointy and sharp. And when you're raking wool through the teeth, germs are planted on every sharp point, and when that point accidentally pokes into your fingers, an infection will result.

Every poke I've ever gotten from that thing has gotten red and painful. Nothing serious, but not at all like a little pin prick either. (Granted I am rather accident prone myself, especially when it comes to sharp objects.) Plus, using them is a very long, tedious process, with a lot of fiber waste, and I admittedly do not use them very often. Prepared fiber is soooo worth the extra price.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
IamtheWalter
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks everyone for the kind words

About the combs, I know she's right, and that's really the worst part because I can't argue with her, at least not without lying: if she says that they're nothing but expensive tickets to the emergency room, I want to tell her that I'd follow all the precautions, but know that even if I tried my darndest to keep my skin away from the tines, somehow I'd find a way to lose blood on it.

We also have two cats, two insane cats (as if there's such a thing as a sane cat), so that's an issue as well.

It sounds silly, but there was just something so masculine and romantic about the idea of making my own top. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait until she wants to buy something that can be somehow portrayed as potentially dangerous.
IamtheWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Its good to know more about you Walter. I just bought a drop spindle at Rhinebeck so I'll probably be seeking more advice here. Why not try a baby sweater for your first sweater? It has all of the elements of a big sweater, just fewer stitches. At worst, you could give it to a local hospital for someone lacking baby clothes.(Although I strongly suspect you are a better knitter than you are fessing up to)