Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
wandersfar
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to wandersfar
"Work to desired length to underarm"?
Hiya,

I'm making the shapely. It will be my first sweater. (*squee!*)

I just finished the bust short rows, and I did two rounds to pick-up all the wrapped stitches. (I'm converting this pattern to in-the-round, so after wrapping my last purl stitch I turned and picked up the knit/left-side wraps, and then I did another round and picked up the purl/right-side wraps.)

Okay, so now the pattern says to "Work to desired length to underarm." What does this mean?

Well obviously I know what this means, but exactly how long is that supposed to be?

Like I said, it's my first sweater so I'm afraid of putting my armholes too low or too high and winding up with an uncomfortable fit.

That's the first question, second question: How difficult would it be to add sleeves to this thing?

I'm knitting this in 100% acrylic and it's starting to feel a bit warm. Plus, I think some puffed sleeves would look really cute... (see attachments for inspiration pics -- though I'd like a little more height if possible and maybe half the length of the red sleeves). I googled around and learned that puffed sleeves need to be set-in, which can be a challenge (but that's okay for me, I'm willing to experiment).

Does anyone have a link for a good puffed sleeve pattern like this? (Again, I googled around, and the puffed sleeves I found looked kinda droopy -- is this inherent to a knitted sleeve? Or is there some fabulous puffed-up sleeve pattern lurking about on the interwebs?) Or, could you recommend a book?

I understand that this will require me to convert the pattern to the stitch/row gauge I'm at now, and that's okay.

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips/links you all can share!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	puff 3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	44381  Click image for larger version

Name:	puff 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	44382  Click image for larger version

Name:	puff 1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	44383  
wandersfar is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

First, there is a pattern for a shapely tee that will solve the challenge of adding sleeves -- they just aren't puffy sleeves.

Knitting until the desired length to armholes determines how long the body of the sweater will be before you start shaping for the armholes. Find a sweater with a length you like and measure from the hem to the underarm. Then you knit until your shapely is that length and start the armhole shaping.

Hope this helps!

Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
wandersfar (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
wandersfar
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to wandersfar
Ooh, I didn't know about that pattern! Thanks that will help me a lot.

Okay, I will try the old sweater-measuring trick. Thank you for your advice.
wandersfar is offline   Reply With Quote