Old 10-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
NancyBC
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting with two strands of verigated yarn
HI,
I'm going to knit a boy's scarf with Bernat Softee Chunky Denim. It has alternating dark/light blue. I'm going to do it sideways with a K2 P2 rib. Is it best to just put the strands together randomly or to match the colors? I've not knitted with this kind of yarn color before and don't know which way will look better if the scarf is about 6 inches wide or so.
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with me!
Nancy
NancyBC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Are you knitting with two strands or ? And by sideways, do you mean the long way or end to end?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
NancyBC
Ribbing the Cuff

HI Suzeeq!
Yep, two strands from two skeins and longways. I've gotten to be a fan of longways for quick scarves! I can do a really chunky one of 100 sts on 25 needles in about two hours or so. This one will be on 19.
Nancy
Old 10-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Marni
Knitting the Flap

Oh.... I think you're saying that the yarn isn't just varigated but changes color from light to dark blue and back again and you're asking if you should match the hues of the two yarns or "random" as in one yarn might be going to the lighter blue before the other?

Even if that's not what you're asking, (lol) you can do up a little swatch containing the styles you're trying to decide between to help you.

I'll bet it would look fine either way and sound like it would much less troublesome to do it "randomly" or start with the colors close and if they get "off so what. I've never knitted 2 strands of varigated yarn sideways before so take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A small swatch may not give you an idea how it looks when you're going to CO 100 sts. Just go for the random look.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
NancyBC
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Marni!
Thanks for interpreting exactly what I meant to say!! I think it would be fine either way as wel but wanted to check in to see if anyone had already been there done that. Sometimes I start to knit and it takes me a foot or more to decide I hate it- lol. I once knitted an afghan with a verigated Red Heart and it came out splotchy instead of evenly distributed colors. I've been a little leary of yarns like that ever since.,
Thanks for the input!
Nancy
Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
NancyBC
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks Suzeeq,
Since it's for a 7 year old I know he won't be too critical but I hate to keep knitting when it's going wrong wrong wrong-lol!
Thanks again,
Nancy
Old 10-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
debinoz
Turning the Heel

After a while it won't matter if you started off with the same hue. Working with 2 strands seems to always use more of one or the other skein (tension or wrap) and throws it off.