Old 06-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Wrapping to make 'holes'.....
I want to knit Redheart's Four Seasons Knit Vest. It says it's easy and I suppose it is if I could understand it....
Here's the mesh pattern stitch:
row 1 (ws) *K2tog, [yo] twice, K2tog; repeat from * to end of row
row 2 *K2, p1, k1; repeat from * to end of row.
row3 K2, *k2tog, [yo] twice, K2tog; repeat from * to last 2 sts, k2
row 4 K2, *k2, p1, k1; repeat from * to last 2 sts, k2.
repeat rows 1 - 4 for Mesh Pattern.

I seem to be able to do the first 2 row without incident (after hundreds of do-overs for my swatch) and the 3rd row... I thought I was doing correctly but when I came to the 4th row, I got a st left over and the 'holes' just didn't seem to be in the right place.
I think I'm getting confused with the 2 raps.
I've been knitting 2tog and then wrapping my needle twice which leaves me with a long st.... which I think I'm supposed to have as that must be the hole.
I've done quite a bit of knitting but only plain knitting, st st, that kind of thing. I really would like to master these 4 rows so I can knit this lovely vest.
Is this pattern straightforward... and why do you think I'm screwing it up? I'd love to, at least, get the swatch done...
Thanks..
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts
Cute pattern.

Yes, the yo's produce the holes or eyelets in the mesh pattern and the k2tog's balance them out. Can you determine exactly where you got off in the pattern? My best guesses are that you either missed a decrease or you worked into both yo's instead of dropping one of them off the needle. I hope you're doing a smallish swatch.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
TEMA (06-07-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
XtopherCB
1st Leg of the Journey

my 2 cents, as a newbie, for what it's worth...

maybe try "making one"/"making one away" instead of basic yarnovers. doing that was a suggestion from someone here (jan? salmon? grumpy? charlotte?) when i first started a YO dishcloth, and for me, anyway, it has been a lot cleaner/easier in the finished product than just basic YOs.

it creates a smaller hole, but still visible, and seems easier to control. also, if you're making something with multiple YOs in a row, you have to knit/purl/repeat on them (on the next row/round), to prevent them from unraveling and throwing off stitch count. where if instead you do the M1/M1A, you can just knit/knit/repeat (again, on the next row/round), if you want (thanks to a raveler for that piece of advice).

and that's as far as my brain goes on it, so far
OTK: 10-stitch blanket that i'm not liking, modified arrowhead pattern scarf/cowl that i'm also not liking, more almost lost wash cloths, and SOCKS SoCkS sOcKs for the first time. and now 2nd time. couldn't help myself, i started a 2nd pair while still only 1/4 through the first pair...
XtopherCB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XtopherCB For This Useful Post:
TEMA (06-07-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
Hi Tema,. This really is a lovely pattern. I think you do need to work quietly somewhere with no distractions. You're right that paying attention to the placement of the holes is a good guide to the correct pattern. Watch thst the holes are coming out right for each repeat.
It might also help to keep the double yarn over on the needle and knit one into it, then purl one into it rather than dropping the double wrap and working with the large yarn over.
TEMA (06-07-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

So the double yo is treated as 2 sts. I counted/read wrong.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
It's not for sure since there aren't stitch counts given at the ends of the rows but I'm assuming the counts stay even so you need to work both wraps of the double yarn over. The even rows place a k1, p1 at the double yo so it's do-able.
GrumpyGramma (06-04-2014), TEMA (06-07-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
It's not for sure since there aren't stitch counts given at the ends of the rows but I'm assuming the counts stay even so you need to work both wraps of the double yarn over. The even rows place a k1, p1 at the double yo so it's do-able.
Agreed. I missed that there is a k2tog after the yo's. To maintain stitch count, both have to be worked.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
TEMA (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Okay, I think I see my problem.
I did the k2tog properly and the yo, but when it came to Row 2, I didn't do the p1, k1 into the yarnovers. I did a p1 in the first of the two yo's but when I did the k1 (that's row 2), I did it into the next st not into the 2nd st of the yo....
Sounds odd, but I think I know what I'm saying.... LOL!
Thank you so much for explaining this to me.
I had left the pattern alone until I could get the answer but I will try it again now.
You ladies are wonderful!
I knew you'd come thru for me....
Bravo!
Hugs,
TEMA
Old 06-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Makes perfect sense to me. I was misreading and thought that's what you were supposed to do. Thanks for letting us know. Once again, salmonmac to the rescue!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Here's what happened...
It didn't work.... try tho I might, I could not make it work without adding or subtracting stitches...
So, then, I decided to see if I could meet with the best knitter I know of in the condo where I live.
She knits for a living...
I spent over an hour with her as she tried it one way or the other and then finally we both gave up.
I was putting my stuff together when she said she would try one more time.
And she did... and it worked!
What the pattern is saying is:
r1. *K2tog, wrap twice, K2tog.... and repeat... so it is
*K2tog, wrap twice, K2tog, K2tog, wrap twice, K2tog and so on.
There are 2 k2tog's but only one double wrap on the first one.
Looking at it now, it seems so simple... but for some reason I could not get my head around k2tog and not wrapping. But you've done the wrap previously on the first k2tog...
Simple.... right!
I felt so dumb but she said it was a mistake waiting to happen because there didn't seem to be an explanation with the pattern about what you were trying to do.
The upshot is... once I finish the little thing I'm knitting right now, I'm going to give it a shot and see if I can't knit the darned thing. And best of all, my new friend is going to give it a go as well.
We can knit it together!
It doesn't get better than that!
Thanks to you all; I appreciate it so much and because of you I didn't give up and found not only how to do it but a new friend as well.
You guys are the best!
Hugs,
TEMA
The Following User Says Thank You to TEMA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (06-11-2014)