Old 10-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Sorry for so many questions
I need to increase stitches evenly, which I've found the calculator for. How is the best way to increase when you are ribbing k2p2?
mommyto2presidents is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Are you still going to be ribbing after the increase? Usually you aren't, that is, you've come to the end of a ribbed section, are going to switch to stockinette stitch and are also going to increase. If this is the case, I do it in the purl 2 instead of the knit 2 parts of the rib, because it's hidden a little more, because the purling recesses a little more. Even if this makes your increases not precisely evenly spaced, it's okay. (I also tried to clear up your circular switch question-- check on that forum as well .)
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

And P.S.-- don't apologize for asking so many questions! No one is born knitting, we all had to learn and I bet most of us asked MUCH dumber questions at some point! Or worse, we weren't as bold about asking and so REALLY messed up
Old 10-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

no after the increases, you are correct, I am going to be doing short row knitting (which I'm sure I'll have questions on that too!! LOL)

My problem is this... I've watched the M1L and M1F videos and the purl increasing is just totally not sinking in for me. It's super confusing and with no audio...

Is that the best increase technique for a newbie to use?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I think it is-- but that's just my opinion. Here's what you're doing in those increases-- there's a little piece of yarn between every 2 stitches, a little bridge in the center. You're lifting that up to the left needle so that you can treat it as if it's another stitch. And ALSO you are going to twist it once, so that it doesn't create a hole-- it just tightens the space up to do that twist. If it helps, do that in 2 stages, that is, lift up the "bridge" onto your left needle and twist it as you do, and THEN knit (or purl) it. How did you make out with the circular switch???
Old 10-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by brittyknits View Post
I think it is-- but that's just my opinion. Here's what you're doing in those increases-- there's a little piece of yarn between every 2 stitches, a little bridge in the center. You're lifting that up to the left needle so that you can treat it as if it's another stitch. And ALSO you are going to twist it once, so that it doesn't create a hole-- it just tightens the space up to do that twist. If it helps, do that in 2 stages, that is, lift up the "bridge" onto your left needle and twist it as you do, and THEN knit (or purl) it. How did you make out with the circular switch???
haven't made the switch yet.. that's my next step after increasing. I'm just having a heck of a time making the twist work.. looking at the video, I'm confused as to where she's putting the tip of the right needle AFTER she's gotten the "bridge" yarn... I'm understanding the concept, just not the application of the twist.. UGH!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I just checked out the videos for both continental and English, and in one the knitting drops down to the bottom of the screen, and in the other it jumps-- so I can understand your problem! But either way, after she picks up the "bridge", she's going into the it with the right needle
Old 10-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

okay, seriously, I've watched the continental knitting increase video like 50 times and I just can't get it! I cannot see where she is putting the right needle tip in the back of the left needle to get the twist to happen? I made great progress on the ribbing but am back to practice yarn since I can't get this to work.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm so frustrated!!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Tell me if I'm wrong on any of this:
1. You are knitting continental (German) style.
2. You can see in the video how she gets the "bridge" up onto the left needle.
3. You can't tell what happens after that, that is, how she then actually knits the stitch she's just created with the "bridge".
If all of the above is correct, then this is the answer: she puts the tip of the right needle into the BACK of the stitch (the one created by the bridge, which is now on the left needle). It is hard to see because her hands and the knitting drop to the bottom of the frame of the video picture.
If this isn't helpful and doesn't answer your question, yell!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

You are correct in all of that information.

If I look at the work in between the stitches on the row below, there is only one area that can logically be seen as the *bridge*, correct? So I lift that bridge onto the left needle an it is lying on the needle from left to right. I see her separate (in the back) the area created with the bridge from the stitch on the left needle next to it. It appears when she places the right needle somewhere in the back of the left tip and it appears to sort of *pop* through, which leads me to believe that is somewhat of a tighter area. Every time I do that, I do not get that piece of yarn that she uses to twist with (from the front side of the left needle now) and through the front of the *bridge* stitch. Is that making any sense? I've tried blindly putting the right needle in various places behind the left needle, and I never get that piece to twist with. Is that making any sense at all?

Is this a technique she's developed or would someone at my LYS have any idea what I was talking about? I'm just beyond frustrated. I understand the idea but can't get it to work. I'm obviously doing something wrong!

ETA: and just to clarify to make sure this is also correct, is the working yarn supposed be on the left needle or the right?