Old 10-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
iknitter
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to iknitter
Can I bring needles on a plane??
I haven't tried brining needles with me for a while so I was wondering if anyone has tried recently? I'd really hate to miss all that knitting time on the plane, but I also don't want to have good needles taken away by security....
iknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
best thing to do: call the airline.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

My experience has been that no matter what the airline-- or even the airport!-- tells you, that you are at the mercy of whomever happens to be manning the security check point at that moment. The TSA says that they are allowed, but some security people won't let you through with them, and then you're stuck and probably have to throw them away. So I say, unless they're cheap-you-don't-care needles, don't try it. I know how horrible it is to be on long flights without knitting ! But I think better safe than sorry on this one.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
iknitter (10-14-2007)
Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
DonnaS
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DonnaS Send a message via MSN to DonnaS Send a message via Yahoo to DonnaS
Take a postage paid envelope with you addressed to your home (or your destination). Then if they don't allow them you can drop them in the nearest post box and not loose them

I flew from Birmingham, AL to Yakima, WA the first week in September and nobody questioned them. I just had them packed in my carry on baggage and not a word was said.. much to the chagrin of the guy sitting next to me who got his toothepaste taken away at security
My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest!

~ Nothing in life so bad it can't be solved with an afternoon of yarn shopping... and a great sale! ~

DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaS For This Useful Post:
Kaillech (03-10-2008)
Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Jens
1st Leg of the Journey

Some types of needles are allowed but if the security feels like it could be a weapon they can be taken away. The airline suggests taking a self addressed envolpe so you can mail them back to yourself if need be. I think wood needles are less likely to cause a problem. GL
Jen
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jens For This Useful Post:
Kaillech (03-10-2008)
Old 10-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Jens
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by DonnaS View Post
Take a postage paid envelope with you addressed to your home (or your destination). Then if they don't allow them you can drop them in the nearest post box and not loose them

I flew from Birmingham, AL to Yakima, WA the first week in September and nobody questioned them. I just had them packed in my carry on baggage and not a word was said.. much to the chagrin of the guy sitting next to me who got his toothepaste taken away at security
Must have posted about the same time
Sorry for the repeat
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jens For This Useful Post:
iknitter (10-14-2007)
Old 10-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
iknitter
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to iknitter
thanks for the tips, i think I'll just staff my project in my checked bag and read instead
iknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
raederle
Ribbing the Cuff

emergency knitting
facing this dilemma myself back in may, i chose to cast on a simple lace scarf project with some laceweight yarn on a pair of pencils. put some cap erasers on the ends, and the stitches won't fall off. i chose a really nice gray black variegated yarn, so as not to worry about the graphite marking up my yarn. it's working out very nicely! i put the project in a pencil bag, and now i pull it out whenever i'm in line at the grocery store or the bank, since i didn't finish it on the plane.

once you get past the security knuckleheads, you have to face those flight attendants who are morons. (i'm positive all the security folks are knuckleheads, but many flight attendants aren't morons, and knit themselves.) they may tell you to put your work away inflight "because you could stab yourself during turbulence." and THAT'S the reason for the pencils. i'd've acquiesced quietly had i gotten that request, as long as every other person on the plane ALSO had to put their writing implements away.

flying nowadays is inhuman. knitting distracts from your realization of this. good luck.
raederle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
bravobabe
Casting On

Needles on a Plane
Before you give up on knitting on a plane, I want you to know I've flown several times with my knitting and not once was I ever stopped or questioned because of my needles. And this is even out of the GESTAPO like Miami airport, where I had to check my carryon bag, because I was over by 50ml for some very pricey Vera Wang lotion.

The TSA says needles are ok, but yes you are always at the mercy of some potentially over zealous agent. My best suggestion is to take wooden ones, include them with some balls of yarn and your project so they know what they are and they will be used for.

The postage paid envelope, and a friend to see you off until you've cleared the checkpoint is always a good idea. Please do not give up.
bravobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
lucky_alf2
1st Leg of the Journey

I've flown several times over the years (and recently too) and nobody has ever batted an eyelash at my knitting -- security, flight attendants, no one. I checked the TSA website last time and knitting needles didn't fit the "weapon" description, but of course it's not like you are going to argue with the security officer if they decide they want to seize your needles.......So, the last time I flew, I did run a lifeline just in case they decided to take my needles -- my needles are cheapo ones, so I didn't bother with the envelope -- figured I would just get new ones if I needed (maybe nicer ones too ). I'd say, go for it!

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
-- Pat Conroy

2008 FOs: Elegant Baby Blanket, Ripple Baby Blanket, 4 Charity Squares, 2 Oddball Premie Blankets
OTN: Another Charity Square
Next: cute teddy bear
Stash: Needs a recount
lucky_alf2 is offline   Reply With Quote